Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tips, Techniques, and Questions (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Alabaster and Opalino (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27483)

debkauz 2006-07-13 12:22pm

Alabaster and Opalino

OK, this is a really dumb thing. I know that one of them ic COE 104 and one isn't , I think (or at least isn't compatible with 104 for some reason) but I don't know which one and I don't really know the difference between them. Can someone tell me all they know about them? I would be eternally grateful.

Raven Wylder 2006-07-13 12:52pm

So Moretti has both alabaster and opalino which would make it COE 104 but if you throw Lausha and Vetrofond in the mix, I'm not too sure - I don't have any of that glass.

DesertDreamer answered the same question in this forum post # 6, check it out:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=354148

It was helpful to me.

Emily 2006-07-13 2:13pm

No, theoretically, they're all around 104 COE. Effetre doesn't reveal the precise COEs of any of its glass, so "around" 104 is as much as we know about any of it, but that's supposed to be right for the alabastro and opalinos, too.

HOWEVER -- and it's a big however -- alabastro and opalino are fussy glasses to work with for reasons that are not well-explained, at least to us lay people. Alabastro in particular does not play well with others and often does not play well with itself. Watch out for shockiness in the extreme. Opalino is a bit more tolerant of being used with "normal" Effetre/Moretti, but encasing is iffy -- not sure why you'd want to, because you'd lose the translucent effect, anyway. Opalino gets sooty if overheated. That can be exploited as the black web effect, but is irritating if unintended. Opalino is a nice glass for hollows. It has a slight stickiness that makes the coils stay together well.

I don't bother with alabastro, so can't offer practical advice on it. It does have the only really strong pink that Effetre makes, unfortunately, which is why some people struggle with it, but those who do frequently refer to it as "alabast*rd."

Libby L. 2006-07-13 2:38pm

I use both alot and loooove BIG TIME the Opalino 536 Carnelian. I use the 30/70 rule and don't have any problems. 70% of the bead needs to be of one type and 30% (stinger work, dots etc.) can be the other. So base bead of Carnelian with dots of coral give you a kick butt bead of a lovely pink and the coral turns orange.
Both the Opalinos and Alabastros love dots of Pastel Moretti. Colors that normally bleed won't.
Play with it its cool.
________
ARIZONA MARIJUANA DISPENSARIES

BeadMaven 2006-07-13 6:03pm

I just found my rod of Carnelian and played a bit with it.

I workid it cool and it came out a light salmon - pretty!

I need to know - can I anneal the Carnelian beads with my other Moretti/Effetre beads?

Libby L. 2006-07-13 7:53pm

Yep no problem
________
Lamborghini lma002 specifications

Carolyn M 2006-07-13 9:32pm

Ok, I'm pretty experienced, can genarally strike any glass, but this carnelian has me totally puzzled. Am I expecting too much? Carnelian, to me should be a rich red colour, but this is definitely not what I'm getting.

Libby L. 2006-07-14 6:17am

Carolyn work the Carnelian in the flame for awhile. It will start out as a translucent pink color and the longer I work it (in a gentle flame, at the top of the flame) the more the color gets a deep pink. In and out of the flame. You can actually work with Carnelian and the other Moretti colors more than any other of the Opalinos or Alabastros. Stephanie Sersich turned me on to this color along with her buddy Lauren.
Cool color combo. Take the reg. pastel red and encase the middle with the Carnelian..it turns a fushia color.
When I get to work I will post some pictures.
________
Pregnant black

BeadMaven 2006-07-14 7:11am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Libby L.
Yep no problem

Thanks Libby! :D

Emily 2006-07-14 8:36am

Libby, do you find that there's a batch difference with the color of the carnelian? With the opalino sampler that I bought when I first started torching, I got a brownish red with the carnelian, like the real color of the semi-precious carnelian stone. Ever since then, carnelian has come out much pinker for me. I've been blaming it on the glass (and have pretty much given up playing with it, since I don't much care for the pink color), but maybe it's what I've been doing with it. Do you ever get the brownish reddish carnelian color?

(This is a pic of actual carnelian, because I don't feel like I'm describing the color very well. It's like trying to describe the color of tea -- what do you call that color, except "tea"?)

BeadMaven 2006-07-14 9:10am

I bought my 1 rod of Carnelian last August.
I played with it a little yesterday and got the pinkinsh color. I am going to try and test it again today and work it longer to see if I get the Cranberry color I wanted too.
I'll post back with results as well, maybe it will help ;)

Libby L. 2006-07-14 1:46pm

Yes Emily I agree. The first batch I tried (ok that was about 8 years ago) was much browner. This batch I have is lovely. I wish I had time to take pictures but I am so swamped getting stuff ready for the Gathering it's crazy. If anybody wants to see some examples and ask questions come find me at the Gathering. I will be at my Vendors booth (Sorella Beads) all the time and at the Bead Bazaar on Sat.
________
MARY JANE