Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tips, Techniques, and Questions (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   hot head users (past & present) (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=225234)

jujeebeads 2012-05-30 2:31pm

hot head users (past & present)

Hi there!

I need to do a demo tomorrow using a hot head torch, which I have never used before. (I have always used an oxy/prop torch) I am thinking about practicing a bead or two today, just to get the feel of it. Wondering about any tips or tricks I need to know? and how long will a can of MAP gas go for?

thanks! any feed back appreciated!

Cheers~
Judy :)

Eileen 2012-05-30 3:20pm

I think practicing is a great idea, since everything takes a bit longer to do (at least for me).
Also remember it's louder, so if you're talking over it remember to project a little more so people can hear you.
The flame is a bit reducing, so turquoise can get some red depending on your work habits for example.
I think the gas lasts 2-3 hours, depending on how you run your torch, so hard to say.

NLC Beads 2012-05-30 3:29pm

Check some of the threads here:

http://lampworketc.com/forums/showth...light=hot+head

http://lampworketc.com/forums/showth...light=hot+head

Definitely get a feel for it. If it's a newer one, it's really hot and tough to control. Run it lower temp and keep the glass further out from the flame for better results.

jujeebeads 2012-05-30 3:56pm

Thanks Eileen & Nikki! (I have a kitty named Nikki :love:)

I read through the threads you (Nikki) gave me, helpful too! I just set it up and tried my first bead. Not too bad. WoW is it loud! I have watched a demo with a hothead, but not actually sat behind it close. I suppose I will speak loudly and tell them to save their questions for after the demo! Fortunately, I only have to make very simple beads. It's just to show folks who know nothing about melting glass, basically how it's done.

Yep, glad I got a little practice in. Thanks for the replies!

NLC Beads 2012-05-30 5:31pm

If you go to my site, I also have class notes/tutorials - They're beginner based, but shows where the "sweet spot" is in a HH flame. (It's very high tech. :lol:)

http://nlcbeads.com/images/Torch%20Position.jpg

Really really make sure the ventilation is good, or torch for a short time with it. (Not sure if it was outdoors or indoors.)
For new-to-glass people, stringers and twisties are really impressive, too, they always loved those when I did demos. :)

Lisi 2012-05-31 9:45am

If I remember correctly, I used to get a total of 9 hours of use from a 1lb MAPP can. :)

Yvon 2012-05-31 12:45pm

Was just at a demo using that MAPP can and person stated about 8 hours. . .(or even 9, then).

Yvonne

jaci 2012-05-31 9:03pm

Tips

If you can't light it turn it up more not down. Did that looked stupid.

Use commercially pulled stringer to make demo beads. Melts fast, virtually no shoocky glass at all!
Use colors that do not easily reduce, unless this is part of your lesson plan :) pastel turquoise and purple reduce wildly on a hh sometimes.

Don't forget a piece if fiber blanket for the bead, and bead release. I usually forget one or the other lol.

Ditto on the twisties. Shorts are great for this and easy to transport.

Bring a few beads that are still in the mandrel for people to play with as toy demo, it will help them conceptualizer what you are doing; and pass around didy's. Always an amazement factor with the audience.

I use my hh that I have had for 15 years to do demo's all the time :)

tammydownunder 2012-05-31 10:04pm

I have found that I have a really hard time seeing the flame with my diddys on so I cheat and look through the bottom to make sure that I'm still in the flame.

Ditto on what everyone else said. Simple dot and raked beads using cheap glass. While you are torching, if people are listening, talk about making quality beads with dimpled ends, that are annealed and cleaned out at the end.

steiconi 2012-06-01 12:50am

And if you'll be working for more than an hour or two, bring TWO tanks of MAPP gas because the tanks chill and lose pressure. Or just hook up to a BBQ tank of propane and torch all you want--just avoid colors that are smoke or reduction sensitive.

eregel 2012-06-01 4:03am

And experiment with turning the flame WAY down - for simple stuff you can work a lot cooler than you might think, and it will let the torch run a lot longer before it freezes up, AND it's significantly quieter.

jujeebeads 2012-06-02 9:46am

2 Attachment(s)
Thank you ALL for all the replies! My demo went well. It was outside, so ventilation was good, however, I couldn't see the flame at all! I wound up bubbling some glass (orange especially), but my viewers didn't notice this at all. I made basic beads, added a few dots and even got really "fancy" with some bubble dots. :) I did take a fiber blanket. I also worked on a cookie sheet and had some aluminum foil on the table in front of me. The demo was a private function at a fancy hotel, with beautiful linen table cloths. The last thing I wanted to do was burn a hole through one of those! So that was all good protection.

I give all you HH users credit for putting up with the noise. I can't believe how loud that is. I don't think I could work hours on that...but that's me. I am glad I invested (and what a bargain!) in this so that demos can be done easily.

Thanks again for the input, it helped! Here's a pic of my little beads and my demo set up. (sure missed my creation station!) funny, just like my very first beads....I'll probably put these on a string and keep them in my "firsts" bin.

Cheers~

NLC Beads 2012-06-02 1:54pm

Awesome, thanks for sharing how it went! :)

KEW 2012-06-02 2:09pm

I always wore ear protection when I was on the HH.

jaci 2012-06-02 9:24pm

Perfect!
I usually take the diddys off when outside demo-ing cuz I just can't see :)
But I pass them around so people can look through them.

I was also thinking after posting that I forgot to tell you to wear black or a dark color shirt. This way your viewers can see the flame :) glad you were on top of that! Lol

tammydownunder 2012-06-02 10:55pm

glad it went well and the weather behaved. Outside demos with 25 mile an hour wind it not fun.