Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Safety (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Poll: Do you babysit your Kiln? (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59720)

FourTailsLampwork 2011-01-18 1:16pm

I double check everything. That said, if I babysat my kiln until it ended its cycle, I would never have the time to get any beads made! I will go to sleep with the cycle unning (LOTS of fire alarms and an extinguisher), and I will leave the house ... but I won't go to work with the kiln going. (That means making beads in the morning before I go to teach class is usually not on.)

I do have an AIM kiln, firebrick, sitting UP on blocks, on tile set on top of tiles on top of table, 18" away from wall.

lotusbunny2009 2011-04-19 3:01pm

Toaster

I don't trust my toaster to be plugged in unless I'm using it. As soon as I'm done, it gets unplugged. Same goes for any portable appliance with a heating element in my house.

When it comes to my torch, kiln, oxycon, propane (always outside), I have a little OCD-type ritual I do before leaving the house or going to sleep to make sure everything is off, unplugged, and disconnected. I couldn't bear it if anything happened to my family, my bunnies, or our home. Karen

CrassGlass 2014-08-29 9:13am

My kiln runs for four days at a time when I cast slabs. There's no way in hell I could babysit it for that long. I have a day job. These things are designed to be safe as long as the installation is set up prudently (i.e. on bare concrete, far enough away from combustibles and walls, properly wired, etc.)

Fireball 2017-11-27 10:33pm

I kinda find this humorous. I've been working with very large glass casting 300-425lbs. Annealing times are weeks. Last one was 63 days. :)

Beatrix 2017-11-30 9:32am

Neat! What are some of the sculpts you've worked on?

Fireball 2017-11-30 2:34pm

1 Attachment(s)
Just things like this. The left piece is 395lbs of solid glass the right piece is 195 lbs.

Beatrix 2017-12-01 10:52am

Woah, I can imagine how slow the cool down time has to be for those!

Speedslug 2020-10-30 11:26am

A kiln is just like most other house hold appliances.

Once I am happy that it does what it is supposed to and I have run it through a few cycles with predictable results then I have no problem sleeping with it doing its programed procedure.

These days I have no trouble with leaving the washer and dryer running while I am out of the house but I wouldn't be gone for more than a half hour with a kiln doing its thing.
Not until I get house piped for a sprinklers system.

echeveria 2020-11-02 7:47am

I have a Ring camera watching mine and can monitor the temperature from my phone. I do not leave it overnight, but am good with running to the store or mowing the yard, etc. while it ramps down. I am never far from it so I can intervene if the relay fails in the on position.