Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tips, Techniques, and Questions (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Questions about Effetre reds and the torches you use (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213345)

Lisi 2011-12-20 11:05am

Questions about Effetre reds and the torches you use

I am trying to get to the bottom of this. I have been making beads for a long time and have had problems with the Effetre opaque reds for almost as long. Striking transparents are okay, and some are better than others. Not much luck with the Bullseye and Uroboros opaque and opal reds either. My problem - they go brownish or brick colored on me. I use a Bobcat and an oxy generator. When I was on the HH, I got pretty decent results, but was hoping for better with the oxy/propane set-up. I have done everything that was advised to me over the years and nothing has worked.

Okay, so what I need to know is, how are you with these reds? Do you do well or do you get the burnt and brownish too? If you do well, what torch and oxygen supply are you using? If you do not do well with them, what is your torch and oxy supply? Do you have any special tips for working them that you would like to share?

Hey, for those of us who are really frustrated with this problem, we may find out what is wrong after all. I'm so glad I finally got smart and wrote this thread! When I have finally got it right, I'll post a picture of the beads and what I learned. I don't care how long it takes, so if I end up bumping this thread in the year 2020 with my red beads, I will! :lol:

(gosh...I hope it won't take that long!)

Kalorlo 2011-12-20 12:09pm

Huh, I haven't noticed a problem with any of the opaque reds. I'm on a Minor and 5lpm oxycon. Effetre transparent red used to go livery for me when I was still on a hothead - I can use it fairly well now.

I'm not sure I've made any beads where the whole base is Effetre red, mind you (apart from spacers). I usually use them as dots and lines and in murrini.

SuzyQ 2011-12-20 12:15pm

I don't have any troubles with red. I use two oxygen concentrators and a Betta. I do tend to work oxy rich.

Lisi 2011-12-20 12:26pm

So far, both of you use a torch with a softer flame and gentler heat than mine. We're getting somewhere with this thread already! I've tried a Betta with my generator, and it was different than the Bobcat in that the flame was much softer. Thanks!

I just may end up getting another type of torch for my back-up. :)

Lisi 2011-12-20 3:25pm

Thank you Kandice! I'm leaning closer to wanting a Minor now. :)

Elizabeth Beads 2011-12-20 4:24pm

I am on a 4 stud Scorpion with one Regalia and propane. I work hot as blue blazes (impatience is my middle name) and I get lovely reds. Here are some:

http://i841.photobucket.com/albums/z...ber2011023.jpg

http://i841.photobucket.com/albums/z...ber2011019.jpg

http://i841.photobucket.com/albums/z.../July006-1.jpg

LoriB 2011-12-20 5:39pm

I'm so glad you brought this up, as I was going to post a similar question! LOL

I used to have no problem with my reds, but noticed that over the past few months, I keep getting a slight brownish haze in wide streaks on my solid opaque red beads (but no problems if I use the red just as dots, etc. decoration). I've adjusted my flame chemistry every which way I can think of, ordered and tested several different reds from 90 to 104 COE, and currently find that I have to work at least 7" from the torch and work so slow and cool, it takes longer than I used to for just a simple bead on a Hot head?! UGH!! And even then, I'm still getting the brown haze or tiny burn streaks on at least 1/2 of my beads.

I upgraded from a Minor with one oxycon to a Mega Minor with 2 oxycons this year. What I'm wondering is does the season and outside temperature affect how reds react at all?? My "good" beads that were such a breeze to make were mainly created during the spring and summer, while obviously the ones I'm making now are during the winter in my cold garage. Or does having 2 oxycons make my flame way too hot and maybe I should try switching to my HotHead?

Or is it possible to have good and bad batches of red glass where one might work beautifully, while another might be a lot more tempermental?

Or a combination of both theories?

I'm SO frustrated right now, I've got bald spots!! LOL

Lisi 2011-12-20 6:15pm

Beautiful reds, Elizabeth! I don't have trouble with the transparents staying red, but every single opaque or opal is awful for me.

Lori, I did pretty good with the HH and the reds, but sometimes I would get the brown streaks, so I turned the flame down and it was much better. I used propylene bulk tanks and never had good luck with straight propane. I even got the oranges to stay orange, although they were more of a reddish orange. But at least not brown! lol

Do you still have your Minor? Maybe you could hook that one back up and just use one oxycon to see if your reds get better? If you still have that torch and can do this, maybe that's the trick? Please let me know! :)

PerfectDeb 2011-12-20 10:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by kandice (Post 3826599)
I find that if I work any of the darker reds for too long, they get darker. This is especially true for Purple Red and Dark Red (Effetre). Too hot is also a problem. I work cool, higher in the flame, and as fast as I can. :)

Oh, I work on a Nortel Minor with an oxy con, and my flame is neutral to slightly oxidizing.

this, its like they strike more and more - i work them really cool

i'm on a minor with a 10lpm oxycon

Hayley 2011-12-20 11:15pm

Both my sister and I have used a lot of Purple Red (our favorite Effetre opaque red) and it stays nice and red. We have a Bobcat on oxycon and a Barracuda on two oxycons.

Ekkie 2011-12-20 11:26pm

I have no problems with the Effetre opaque reds on a Scorpion with oxycon and ng. I do often have a problem with the Effetre striking reds being much too dark which is why I now use Lauscha trans reds.

CelesteK 2011-12-22 2:29pm

I'm on a Minor with tanked O2. I'm much happier with my reds than I was on my hothead. They don't tend to go livery on me now. I tend to work my glass out at the far end of the flame, so I'm working cool and I don't have problems with the opaque reds. The dark purple red is also my favorite red.

FosterFire 2011-12-22 3:11pm

I work my reds on the cool side. I have been lampworking for 11 years now. The old medium red was very reliable, the new one goes very dark on me so I have switched to light red for when I want bright red. Here's one tip that may help: the more you take it in and out of the flame the more it is likely to get brownish. I work my reds further out in the flame also, not too close to the candles. I have a minor burner.

Moth 2011-12-22 7:34pm

I'm on a minor with an M-15 and my reds stay nice. My favorite all time opaque red is effetre's purple red.

Sheila D. 2011-12-22 9:12pm

So...I practiced my hearts yesterday and they sucked. All reds...streaky, brown spots. I don't remember having this much trouble with red. You jinxed me Lisi!!:lol:
One of the reds is the new CIM Marischino which I think if worked right will be beautiful. Need more PPP!
Maybe my hearts will be pink or purple!

Lisi 2011-12-22 10:29pm

Leaning in really close to wanting a Minor now...

:)

Sheila D. 2011-12-23 6:53am

I have a Minor....I think I just work too hot. Maybe I'm destined for Boro!

Jody Lee 2011-12-23 7:35am

My first torch was a minor, and I ran it on a 5LPM concentrator and natural gas. I had no problem with reds on this, and my favourite one is purple red, although I noticed that the red had a darker hue with the natural gas rather than on propane (tried it at a friend's place). When I moved, I wound up using propane and both bottled oxy or liquid and use a mini cc now - I find that the reds boil much faster with this hotter torch, and hotter fuel. Haven't noticed a browning effect.

I compensate by turning my flame down a lot, working in a slightly puffy neutral flame, and striking the red a couple times to reduce the streakiness (although I do like the streaky qualities too).