Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boro Room (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Color Sleuths please read (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=263020)

PamS 2014-04-01 7:37pm

Color Sleuths please read

2 Attachment(s)
Quite some time ago I got some NS Poppy that was reddish orange. When I ordered some recently it was like orange crayon - no red to be found. I thought maybe the orange would strike darker, but it didn't. I called NS to see if they'd changed the color, emailed them some comparison photos but haven't heard back from them. So - I'm looking for a substitute color and would welcome suggestions. Here are a couple images to show the difference.

TIA,
Pam

Kare TX 2014-04-01 8:42pm

Maybe TAG Reef Red
Glass Alchemy has a few reds also.

angelique_redhead 2014-04-01 9:16pm

They're both very pretty. Have you tried Elvis Red? :love: Angelique

Jackson River Glass 2014-04-02 3:51pm

I went thru what I have that looks similar.

I haven't ordered this glass in a long time so this stuff may have changed like poppy, but for whatever it is worth here's what they are...

top to bottom:
lava (to show true orange color)
Elvis Mandarin (has some slight variations of orange shade)
GA exp pumpkin ( pretty uniform in color, right between orange and red)
Elvis Coraline (orangey red)
NS Lava (in a different spot, looks totally different than lava at top, has some nice variations of shading)
Cherry (to show true red color)

Mary K 2014-04-03 6:12am

Poppy is always different every time I buy it. I got some years ago that was full of air. Mostly though it's a pretty good color, no matter what the shade.
A question from me on glass color: has anyone heard of a glass color called Yin-Yang? I saw something made from this and it was really nice. Anybody??

Jackson River Glass 2014-04-03 7:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mary K (Post 4565311)
Poppy is always different every time I buy it. I got some years ago that was full of air. Mostly though it's a pretty good color, no matter what the shade.
A question from me on glass color: has anyone heard of a glass color called Yin-Yang? I saw something made from this and it was really nice. Anybody??

I googled it but only found boro pieces with the yin yang design. Could it have been an experimental, or is it really new? Can you show us a picture? We might need some of this glass too... :lol:

sunray 2014-04-03 12:49pm

Looks more like GA Orange-Red Crayon in the rod color

PamS 2014-04-05 9:16am

Thanks all,

The Elvis Coraline looks interesting and I think the closest to my old Poppy may be GA Orange-Red Crayon. Will try some of that. I made some beads with the old Poppy encased thinly in Yellow Pearl that looked like raspberry sorbet - really liked them and wanted some more. Such is the love-hate relationship we all have with boro!

e. mort 2014-04-07 7:46am

A while back there was a batch of one of the GA oranges that was a wonderful kind of hot coral color. Unfortunately I haven't seen that color since.

Jackson River Glass 2014-04-19 10:08pm

Just checking back - I'd be happy to send you a short of the Coraline if that would help ;-)