Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tips, Techniques, and Questions (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   What's the current BEST CLEAR for 104 COE? (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50406)

Tink 2007-03-27 11:27pm

What's the current BEST CLEAR for 104 COE?

I need to order clear, and I'm wondering what is CURRENTLY the best clear for use with 104 COE glass.

TIA!

Tink

Kevan 2007-03-28 12:36am

I haven't tried the Diamond Clear, but the Lauscha is the clearest I have seen. I like it best, I just wish it wouldn't crack. It seems to have compatability problems.

The Vetrofond crystal clear is it? That's what I am using now, but still I like the Lauscha. Especially the Eis Blu.

Kikki 2007-03-28 12:51am

I like the Lauscha, just like Kevan, but there are a few things I never use it for.
On top of R4 dichro is one of them, cracks every time.
I never use it on top of silver either, don't like the reaction between the silver and the glass. And if I use Effetre clear on top of silver I never use Lauscha on top of that as I always get compability issues mixing the clears in the same bead. I'm sure that is what is causing the cracking with the dichro as well, I can use Effetre clear just fine on the dichro.

Wonker 2007-03-28 12:56am

Hiya Tink,

I'm using the vetrofond crystal clear as well. I like Lauscha, but the cracking problems are more than I'm willing to try to learn/work with. I've tried the Effetre version of the crystal clear and I like the Vetrofond better, but I'd bet there are vastly different opinions out there. For me at least, the Effetre is far shockier and there is a fine line of bubbles no matter how carefully I heat it that I just can't avoid. The Vetrofond seems less shocky than their ordinary clear, has a little more body (sort of like Lauscha but not as stiff) and has a slight blue tint which makes it look very clear after it's all said and done.

I'm willing to bet that everyone will have a different "best" that's directly related to the way they work, the torch they are on, the stuff they make.

Leanne 2007-03-28 3:21am

I would say the vetrofond SUPER SUPER clear we have here in Australia is the best. It melts like butter. It came out new about 1/2 way through last year. Http://www.hotbeadbox.com.au sells it. I would say lauscha is nicer though every single thing I have ever made with lauscha clear eventually cracks....Maybe I got a bad batch though. I got it from jodel early last year.

Three Muses Glass 2007-03-28 5:23am

I like the Vetro crystal clear too. Nice. Also Lauscha but yeah, there are things you can't use it with.

Carolyn M 2007-03-28 5:24am

I use the Vetro crystal clear

Cosmo 2007-03-28 5:25am

I just used some of the Vetrofond Crystal Clear last week.

It has my vote.

Tink 2007-03-28 5:52am

Looks like Vetrofond Crystal Clear is winning :-)

DarleenMB 2007-03-28 6:38am

Pati Walton talked me into buying some Precision diamond clear when I was at Glasscraft weekend before last. At $35 a pound I'm holding off trying it until I make something worthy of that much expense LOL. She swears it's wonderful. Creamy and no peeling required.

For everyday clear I LOVE Vetrofond (as long as it's a good batch. don't ask). I find Lauscha to be too stiff for encasing whereas the VF is soft and easy to work.

I also bought 2 full rods of the 10-12mm Vetrofond clear while I was at Glasscraft. If you have to peel it's best to have the bigger rods.

The last batch of 8-9mm VF clear I got was just UGLY. However, Beth from Glasscraft told me the best way to deal with it was to use one of those green Scotch scrubbies with lots of hot water and wash the rods. They came out sparkling and, for the most part, are all in good shape. No scratches or other ugly business on 'em.

I use Effetre's clear stringers for thin encasing. They work great with minimal picking and cleaning required. I have a batch of the larger Effetre but since I mostly make small beads haven't really had a chance to use it. I'm moving on to larger pieces now so will be pulling it out and comparing it to the larger VF I just bought.

I also bought some of the Effetre's crystal clear and was not impressed. Have a bit of the VT but haven't used it yet.

r u confused yet?

Tink 2007-03-28 6:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarleenMB (Post 1084129)
r u confused yet?

Yep. LOL!

*sigh* Well, if anyone who uses clear a lot and has ordered lately can give me advice on what to order and tell me from whom I should order, I'll appreciate it.

You don't even want to know how much crappy clear I've accumulated over the past six years. LOL! I'd just like to avoid that if at all possible. I guess I've ended up being "clearaphobic", as I really don't want to waste anymore money.

DarleenMB 2007-03-28 7:11am

Well Tink I'm partial to Glasscraft because that's where I go for all my classes. They're great folks ... if you call ask for Beth (Elizabeth Johnson) and she can help you out.

As to choice, well, if you're looking for clear for encasing large beads my guess is the Precision would be your best bet. OTOH you might just ask Beth as she's very knowledgeable (have you seen her "fruit" beads? Nothing short of spectacular!) and I'm sure can give you the best advice.

Hayley 2007-03-28 11:36am

I use Vetrofond Crystal Clear from Frantz - bought them back in December when they had a sale tho.

I also use R4 Diamond Clear on silver glass.

LoriGreenberg 2007-03-28 11:46am

I've only ever used Lauscha and love it. If you choose Lauscha, I recommend Glassdaddy.com. I make the mistake of ordering it from someone else ONCE and had random cracking problems. Back to Glassdaddy and all is well. I have heard that opalinos and some reds don't like to be encased but I don't know if that's a Lauscha issue or a clear encasing issue in general.

Although I might have to try some of that vetrofond soon!

River Horse Studio 2007-03-28 11:47am

I like the R4 crystal clear. Right now there is a bulk buy going on for it... great price. ~Holly

nagibeads 2007-03-28 11:50am

I like the Diamond Clear-- silver foil encasements stay silver!

I do have Lauscha and Vetro Crystal Clear and Moretti Super Clear and pull my own Schott stringer, and each has their own strengths.... but at the moment, the clear on my table is Diamond Clear.....
knock wood, no cracking issues yet for me....

Tink 2007-03-29 10:44pm

Thanks, everyone!

So Holly, is the R4 Crystal Clear the same as the R4 Diamond Clear? And can you point me towards the bulk buy info?

ETA: Ok, I found the bulk buy, but I think I will just order on my own. Thanks!

PaulaD 2007-03-30 10:01am

I use Moretti all the time and Vetrofond some of the time. Just clean your rods with white vinegar first. And pull off the ends too.

Paula