Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sale Rack (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Implosion Secrets by Ron Bearer Jr (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=183218)

smolder holder 2012-10-13 11:04am

1 Attachment(s)
Ron,

I did get it, thank you for your patience. I couldnt check the spam folder from my phone. Here is a tube implosion floral marble from right before I got your tutorial. I'm looking forward to working on my solid compression technique, your tutorial was very thorough and informative, I really liked the section on making different canes and am looking forward to using more complex canes in my work.

PaulaD 2012-10-13 9:23pm

Hi Ron. I never got any updates after Feb.2011.
Sent you a pm.
Thanks.

R4GlassStudio 2012-10-15 12:06pm

Hi PaulaD, you should be all set now.
Thanks,
Ron

cheng076 2012-10-16 11:19am

I have not been following this thread closely.
Are there further updates sine the tube implosions one some months ago?

PJ

R4GlassStudio 2012-10-16 11:46am

I have answered all the questions, which "spark" updates. With that said.....
If you have questions or would like to see something... let me know and I will create
another add-on.
Thanks!
Ron

bexrox 2012-11-28 7:45pm

Wow, I am just delighted at all the good stuff being said here! I am off to order. Very sad I didn't see this sooner, in time for the marble giveaway. What a treat for so many! How generous!!

I have dabbled in boro, and taken a beginner boro marble class with Hugh Salkind, where I learned to do the heating, shaping and puntying properly.. I have a bag of short Northstar samples (7") and they are all labeled. I also have a bag of mostly unlabeled longer bits and pieces from the garage sale, a little bit of large, and a little bit of small tubing. I hope this is enough to get started with the tut.

Dr Bill 2012-11-30 6:22pm

bye

bexrox 2012-11-30 9:21pm

I just made my first implosion marble!! Wheeee! I am very not used to boro, so I had some technical issues with the glass itself (like lots of tiny bubbles), but I think my implosion and my marble turned out quite well!! I'm so excited to get it out of the kiln tomorrow, that I might just go to bed now so tomorrow will come sooner lol!

Great tut, thanks Ron!

istandalone24/7 2012-12-01 7:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by istandalone24/7 (Post 4027377)
i went from making implosions that look like Clown Crap, to this:

not perfect, but for a lampworker who's only been doing this since late February, i'm happy.

jeez, i'm embarassed of this first ones.
getting a little better....

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

bexrox 2012-12-01 1:14pm

Well, I am fairly happy with this first time attempt, it will take a lot of practice to get where you all are! I just took crappy iphone pics for now, I will break out the good camera when I have something worth the effort lol! I did fry the crap out of the glass, so there are bubbles and scum. I'm just pleased that I understand imploding now and can't wait to try more. I am working on a cricket with 2 5M concentrators, so I'm sure an upgrade in torch and oxygen will make this easier. It took a very long time! I may give this a shot in soft glass...

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

istandalone24/7 2012-12-01 2:22pm

that looks great!
case the yellow in a really thin layer of clear to prevent that boiling though.

bexrox 2012-12-01 3:37pm

Oh thank you! My clear boiled on the bottom too. I think it's hard to get a hot enough flame with my setup without using too much oxy in the mix. I will practice, but this little (3/4") guy took me 2 1/2 hours lol! Is that normal?

istandalone24/7 2012-12-01 3:51pm

what kind of torch are you using? that's a bit long for a marble that size, but then again the first few i did took a while too.

mine usually come out 1 5/8" and take a little under an hour, not including making the cane.

bexrox 2012-12-01 5:00pm

I am working on a cricket with 2 5M concentrators. That time included making the cane, which was an adventure in itself!

R4GlassStudio 2012-12-04 9:14am

Hi everyone!
Thanks for posting pics!
Boiling clear.... Try turning down the oxy a touch and keep the glass moving. Think of browning a marshmellow on a camp fire. Keep it moving and it will turn golden brown... stop for even a second and it catches fire...

Time to make an imposion. It is more about technique and keeping the glass in the flame.
A 1 1/2" implosion takes 30 minutes, including making the canes. But, I only make enough cane for 2 two marbles at a time, as shown in the tutorial.
Ron

R4GlassStudio 2012-12-04 9:36am

bexrox, feel free to pm me with questions when you have them. Keep having fun!
Ron

houptdavid 2012-12-05 7:19pm

Just received the tutorial as a SS gift will get back to marbles shortly

R4GlassStudio 2012-12-06 1:23pm

David, Looking forward to seeing what you make. Let me know if you have any questions.
Thanks,
Ron

adcurti 2012-12-17 2:33pm

I just wanted to say for anyone thinking of picking up this tut, DO IT! I bought several implosion tuts before stumbling upon this one. This is the only one that explains everything thoroughly! I had so many questions after reading the other tuts that I bought, but this one answered them all! And if I find something it doesn't answer, Ron is very helpful and quick to answer. Thanks Ron! Hopefully I have some pretties I can post for you soon! :)

R4GlassStudio 2012-12-18 7:22am

adcurti,
Thanks for the feedback and Happy Holidays!
Ron

adcurti 2012-12-31 9:29am

Getting there! :)

istandalone24/7 2012-12-31 9:44am

lookin good!!

adcurti 2013-01-05 5:46pm

Had a break through moment in my cane making today, really excited about this color combo!

valjean 2013-01-06 8:18am

Those are really looking good.
The colors are nice too.....Val

istandalone24/7 2013-01-06 9:11am

looks great!
what did you do different with the cane? just layering new colors?

every time i make a cane (whether it's a good color combo or not) i never write down what i use lol. i really need to start taking notes.

adcurti 2013-01-06 10:58am

I encased two separate rods and then put them together for a cane of half and half

glassymom 2013-01-06 12:44pm

geez, I've been searching youtube for good videos for this, never thought to look here! Soon as I have the extra $$ I'm getting this tutorial!! I've been making marbles for a few weeks now and I want to learn to make those!!! :)

R4GlassStudio 2013-01-09 7:36am

Thanks everyone. Keep the questions coming when you have them.
Ron

adcurti 2013-01-09 10:53am

I have one. How do I get better separation between layers of petals while still getting them to implode outward? Should I try lines of clear between my color lines? Or is it all in the spacing?

R4GlassStudio 2013-01-09 2:37pm

adcurti - Sending you a pm now.