Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tips, Techniques, and Questions (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   new jen-ken...what next? (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28558)

tanok 2006-07-23 11:05am

new jen-ken...what next?

Ok, I have never done anything like this before so I am a total kiln virgin. I have followed these steps so far

1.It arrived and I looked at the box for three days panicking slightly.

2. Opened said box, removed the kiln, set kiln in corner and spent next hour cleaning up packing chips and chasing puppy around garden to remove the packing chips from her mouth.

3.Tried to read the instruction manual. Found it to be a very good sedative and went to bed!!

4.Tried to read instruction manual again got as far as the stuff about the digital controller when the words started reading BLAH BLAH BLAH.....went to bed.(really is better than valium)

5.Kiln washed floor and shelf,put on lid, had lengthy arguement with husband about placement of kiln. It's all his fault...I don't know why but it just is.

6................Have to get some work done today so cannot risk reading manual again.

What would you recommend? I am working with Moretti so can I set the controller to reach the annealing temperature shove all the stuff in and then turn it off to cool by itself.

Should I test anneal a couple of crappy beads first on this schedule?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

You guys are far more interesting and helpful than the manual. I know there is other information about the bead annealer kiln with the orton 3 button controller but I couldn't find anything about the what to do first stage

HELP

Jupiter 2006-07-23 1:32pm

Hi Tanok,
I fried my chili pepper kiln on Friday :oops: so my Jen Ken has been brought back into play today. I might be able to talk you through setting it up on the phone, either pm me your phone number or I can give you mine. :)
Judith

Jupiter 2006-07-23 1:40pm

oops sorry forgot to say I live up the coast from you in Brighton so its not a hugely expensive phone call :)
Judith

mbock 2006-07-24 1:30pm

Oh - I've got a new Jen-Ken too - and oddly enough went through the same steps you have....hmmmmm.... Post your steps here if possible - as I'm a bit nervous about turning it on! LOL

Thks!

kentaymom 2006-07-26 12:26pm

Wow...this is exaclty what I have done wiht my new Jen Ken too! LOL (The manual is pretty exciting...have you gotten to the part about how to clear an error message - it's a nail biter!)

I'm not nervous about turning it on...but just how hot does the outside of the kiln get during firing? I think I will wait until my new garage/studio is finished so I can keep my kitties out of harms way. You know what they say about cats and curiosity! Not a good combo!

tanok 2006-07-26 12:46pm

Well..... Jupiter was kind enough to give me step by step instructions i.e press this button then this button and so on, it is now programmed but there is no way I could remember how to do it on my own. AND AS FOR TURNING IT ON..........................................

I shall look back on this one day and ohhh how i'll laugh

right?

tanok 2006-07-27 1:46am

Right.....I have managed to work out a programme all of my own...aaahhh..it is only the initial fire to get rid of smells and nasty stuff BUT I STILL PROGRAMMED IT.....thanks to JUPITER and her endless patience.

So I have kiln washed the shelves and later today I will do that 500 degree fire. I will come back and let you guys know whats happening.

I will let you know Kentaymom how hot the outside gets just at this fire ok?

mbock 2006-07-27 3:33am

Any way we could get Jupiter to write a mini tutorial for us? That would be awesome!

tanok 2006-07-27 4:11am

I think if Jupiter isn't able I could, I feel very proud at the moment at having programmed in a new cycle all by myself.
Its firing at the moment only at 500 but its very smelly, although I think I read in another thread that this is normal.
I will keep you posted MBOCK and KENTAYMOM

tanok 2006-07-27 5:36am

Kentaymom the outside got very hot at the 500 cycle. The sides were quick touch hot, like when you touch an iron to see if it is on and hot. Definitely burn kitty noses.

I finished kiln washing the floor of the kiln and the shelf as well and put those in and I noticed steam escaping from around the lid of the kiln during the first part of the cycle. I also noticed in the first ten minutes or so the temperature fluctuated from 478 to 511 but it evened itself out towards the end with differences of about 10 degrees either side of of the 500.

I dont know enough to say if this is right or wrong these are only my virgin experiences. Do you want me to post a step by step of what I have done so far and then give a step by step to the annealing programme that Jupiter gave me?

If one of us tries it first we should post our experiences, this is a great feeling that I'm not struggling on my own