Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tips, Techniques, and Questions (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Paragon Bluebird - Read if you've noticed any problems with your kiln (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29064)

Cat 2006-07-28 7:54am

Paragon Bluebird - Read if you've noticed any problems with your kiln

I posted an earlier post about my kiln issues. I received a new Bluebird last week and kept having thermocouple issues with the kiln. The kiln would error out after having worked with it for hours. I was getting a tcl error and the kiln would shut off. If I was at the kiln, I could just cancel out the program and start it up again - but if I was away, I would come back to a cooling kiln.

What upset me so much was that this kiln was a replacement for another Bluebird I received a few days earlier that also was not working.

I called Paragon and told them what was going on. They wondered how old my kiln was - I told them I had it for 2 days. I told them the problem and that I was wondering if the thermocouple being placed on the side next to one of the bead doors was erroring out when that bead door was opening because the temp was dropping to much.

They had one of their engineers look into it, they called Orton and figured out that the board in the controller was too sensitive for a bead door style kiln. They got some new boards in from Orton to fix this problem and they are sending one out to me to replace the one I currently have in the controller.

I'm not sure if they are going to be replacing all future kilns with these new boards or not - but if you have been running into the same problem, I'd suggest calling Paragon to let them know and they can get a new board out to you.

I do want to say that the people at Paragon were very friendly and quick to find a solution to my problem. Their customer service was exceptional.

PaulaD 2006-07-28 12:11pm

Or you could buy a Chili Pepper!!

Paula

kbinkster 2006-07-28 10:34pm

Cat, I read your other post and am happy to hear that Paragon is fixing the problem. It's always nice to hear about good customer service.

LampworkbyLori 2006-07-30 8:33pm

I'm so glad I found this post. I'm expecting my Bluebird this week.

Cat 2006-08-05 6:53am

Another forum member contacted me yesterday to let me know she just received a new Bluebird and had the exact same tcl problem. As soon as it reaches annealing temp, it can't hold the heat, errors out and shuts off. So I'm glad my post was able to help someone.

Without the replacement board, the kiln was completely unusable.

I got the replacement board from Paragon, installed it (took 5 minutes to do), sent the old one back to Paragon and the kiln is running perfectly.

Paula, I really like the fact that I have two 10" bead doors on the Bluebird - I guess that's what sold me on this, rather than one 16" on the Chili Pepper (which is a great kiln too).

Beadfairy 2006-08-05 9:17am

Hi Cat,

I got a Uterm kiln with a digital Orton board (hope I say this right) two days ago and I have the same Problem. The kiln makes what it wants and changes also the temperature some times. It just stops and I have to restart it again. The engineer I called told me, that it is the software problem from a certain producing line. The problem is also known by them and he wondered why Orton still sells that producing line.
On Monday the kiln will be hopefully replaced.
But I also know many people that have the same Orton board in their kiln and everything works fine.

Have a nice weekend!
Karin

jana 2006-08-12 5:19pm

Well, I just got my Bluebird on Wednesday, plugged it in today, programmed it, and started making beads.

After it reached the 950 degree garaging temp and held for an hour, I got the Tlc error...I was able to reset it and let it ramp up again. After another hour, it errored with Tlc again!

I never could get it to run the program by itself....I had to reset it everytime it errored, and then had to do a skip segment to get it to the 2nd segment to anneal the beads....then it errored again with Tlc after 50 minutes at 968 degrees, and I could not get it to the 3 segment of 848 degrees....I am afraid I have lost all I done today, which was all expensive glass (Double Helix, R4 Silver, Amber Rose, and Blue Ivory), I could just cry!

Of course, Paragon is not open today or tomorrow...:mad:

I emailed them, but sure am mad as hell!

Sure wish I had bought a Jen or Chili Pepper!

PaulaD 2006-08-12 5:37pm

The Chili Peppers are pretty reliable. Every now and then we run into a bump but Jen-Ken takes care of it right away. I know that a lot of people are impressed with the two doors but they are two small doors as compared to the Chili Pepper's one big door! Anyway, try getting a fish bead into one of those annealers with the small doors.....
Paula

tanok 2006-08-13 4:22am

I think I am having the same problem with my Orton controller. After a day of it switching off and showing me the fatal software error on its very first firing I was in tears.
I was convinced it was dead before I had even had a chance to use it but after contacting the wonderful Bill Brachold he not only put my mind completely at rest and was lovely about it he also explained that there had been a run of faulty mother boards.
So I am at the stage of waiting for a motherboard, but if it wasn't for Bill I would be in bits. I do think its important that we share these things at least it stops panicking.

Jana I am so sorry about all your work and I shall send you a thousand happy thoughts!!!

Mr. Smiley 2006-08-13 4:28am

I saw a blue bird ... I hope they get the little bugs worked out, because I want one! I've got a chili pepper too, but the blue bird looks awesome! :D

jana 2006-08-13 5:46am

It isn't just the work or the glass....it was months of wanting and researching, then finally having the money for it...another month of waiting for it to be shipped...finally having it and the anticipation of being able to do the stuff I was too afraid I would loose if I did not put it right in the kiln!

If they know about this, why aren't they recalling them from the distributors and replacing the part themselves?

It felt like loosing my virginity all over again, a bunch of anticipation with a big let down!

PaulaD 2006-08-13 8:11am

Well there is nothing more stressful than waiting for your Annealer and then it doesn't work. I feel badly for anyone is this position..Orton has just changed their boards from 4 cycle to 2 cycle. I'm not a techie and not really sure what this means..... ! But one of my Customers couldn't run her new Annealer with the Orton when she put all of her lights on and was running a Concentrator too. There just wasn't enough "juice." You may want to be sure that you are running your Annealer on a separate circuit and not overloading just one circuit...Paula

jana 2006-08-13 8:31am

It is on it's own...so it is definately the control panel.

So now, I get to call the factory on Monday, which I work during the day, so that should be fun, then have to wait lord knows how long for a replacement part and then figure out how to install it....trust me, I do not look like Mr. Goodwrench!

Cat 2006-08-13 8:00pm

The TCL issues are exactly the same problems I had. But once you get the new Orton board, it runs perfectly. I got the new board within a matter of days. You don't have to ship off the kiln to have it fixed.

To fix it, you just unscrew the control panel face on the front of the controller, pull out the face, unplug a couple wires, replace it with the new board/face and screw it back in. It takes about 5 minutes.

There are four programs on this controller too, not two.

I haven't had one problem since replacing the board and I really love this kiln.

Cat 2006-08-20 8:45pm

Well guess what? One week after my above post, and my new controller (this is a new board that Paragon sent me after the first breakdown) also broke down and I'm getting the tcl errors again, the kiln is shutting down IF I can get it to the holding temperature and I have lost beads in the kiln the past two days. Had a batch of boro garaging and two hours later it still hadn't got from 1050 to 1150 and finally just errored out and shut off around 1085... So two kilns and three controllers later - at this point, I really want my money back. I haven't been able to get this thing working properly since it arrived - a total lemon the moment it arrived. I know it's not the distributer's fault, but Paragon really needs to figure out what the problem is here and pull these kilns from the shelves. I've had several emails from others that also got "lemon" kilns delivered to them - seems it might be the same production run.

It's too bad, because this had the potential to be a nice kiln. But at this point, I can't afford to give it another try - not a good track record.

jana 2006-08-21 3:53am

I feel the same way. I am still waiting for my control board! The lady I have been dealing with at Paragon has dragged her feet for over a week. I am so frustrated with it and the service level I got from Paragon...I had to go through hoops to get anything from them, and I am still waiting!

I flat out asked her, if they know about this problem why aren't they recalling the kilns from the distributors and she said "I don't know".

FordGirlGoneBad 2006-08-21 9:25am

I ordered a Blue Bird from clay-king yesterday afternoon and asked that they please put in the correct controller board before they send it. I'd rather wait an extra week or two then get it and not be able to use it. We'll see how they do.

elle 2006-10-05 2:20am

Yep.

Thought I would bump this one up again. I have been following this with great interest since Cat started it, as I had been planning on getting a Paragon EZ Beader. So I got the EZ Beader, assumed I was safe, programmed it, and sho 'nuff, I am having problems VERY similar to everyone who has posted here. On my very first firing. Ramped up to target temp (950) held for about an hour (was supposed to hold WAY longer than that), then a loud beep, then a 16-1 (or maybe it was 1b-1, not sure, since I couldn't find it in the manual), then a FE5 (software error). I didn't bother trying again, I just turned the sucker off. (and if I remember correctly, I got the 16(b)-1 BEFORE I got the IdlE signal when I first turned it on.) Can you tell I have been taking notes???

However, thanks to this thread, I am not in panic mode right now. In fact, I am feeling quite confident being the dingbat that I am when it comes to non-analog stuff, that this most likely is not my fault. ;) I already miss my trusty infinite switch, thank goodness I have a backup. What a hassle this all is. Are we SURE we have to anneal our beads??? (JUST KIDDING!)

I am curious, is everyone's wacky controller the Orton SentryXPress 4.0 model?

I also feel the need to mention that my kiln was drop shipped from Paragon themselves, just this week - not a glass supplier. Interesting.

I will be on the phone with Paragon later today to get to the bottom of this. I thought I would let you guys know that this is still happening, even though the problem has OBVIOUSLY been brought to the attention of both Paragon and Orton months ago.

Sarah
www.z-beads.com

Mr. Smiley 2006-10-05 4:46am

I hope they get this crap worked out! I love my Chili Pepper, but I really am interested in adding a Bluebird to my studio. :(

squid 2006-10-05 8:26am

hmmm.. I have an Jen-Ken kiln that keeps giving me the FE5 error also after holding for about 1 hour out of the 10 programmed. I will have to check and see what kind of controller it is..

elle 2006-10-05 3:40pm

Just got off the phone with Paragon. The 1b-1 read-out (that I caught just in time) is the software program number - probably something like version 5.0, 5.1 type deal you would see with home computer software upgrades and such. They are replacing my controller with a version *C* - which would read 1c-1 instead of 1b-1. Hopefully, this means they are on their way to working the bugs out of the newer 4.0 SentryXpress model. It might be a good idea when/if you order *any* kiln with a SentryXpress 4.0 controller to make sure and ask if it is the newest (non-buggy) version.

This is assuming that the C version actually works better than the B version. I will certainly keep everyone posted on what shakes out.

Thing is, Paragon makes great kilns. Brent, if you are dying for a Bluebird, just wait a while. ;) I have never even considered buying anything else, that's all I have ever owned. My other one has been loyal to me for many years - but it has an infinite switch, and not too much can go wrong with the infinite switch. But I do wonder why they continue to ship these kilns with the loopy controllers still intact... wouldn't it be less of a hassle (not to mention money out of their pocket) to just replace all of them before they leave the factory? :idea: Can we say "duh"?

Sarah

FordGirlGoneBad 2006-10-06 4:31am

I just got my BlueBird a month ago. I ordered it from the Clay King (cheapest prices I've seen yet) and spoke to them about the controller before they ever sent the kiln to me. I have the Orton SentryXpress 4.0 and have had no problems at all, but they also assured me that their kilns were shipped direct from the Paragon factory to me, that Paragon was aware of the problem and all of the controllers had been fixed to correct this problem.

I've only fired mine one time just to make sure it worked and everything was great, no errors.

Cat 2006-10-06 7:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by FordGirlGoneBad
I've only fired mine one time just to make sure it worked and everything was great, no errors.

Just a suggestion - you might want to fire it a couple more times, because I also received the new board. When I installed the new "replacement" board (and it was the SentryXpress 4.0), it ran well for about a week and then errored out like the other one before it. From that point on it would never hold temperature.

I'm definitely not a "kiln expert" - but what I noticed was that the problems occur when working - opening and closing the doors to insert beads in the kiln. It's as if the controller can't handle the fluctation in temperatures considering it's not a brick kiln and when that door opens the temperature drops fast.

The "software error" was the very first error I received just before all the temperature holding issues started with both boards. I got that on the replacement board a few days after running the kiln.

I ended up getting the AIM CR413 and it works perfectly. I trust it completely, which is wonderful - after losing kiln loads of beads in the Bluebird. The AIM has a Bartlett controller.

These bugs and issues should have been worked out long before they introduced the kiln and sold it on the market. I just couldn't keep a kiln that needed warranty work the day I turned it on.

elle 2006-10-19 4:19pm

Well, so far so good with my EZ Beader. We put the new controller in, and it seems to be doing its thing. It was surprisingly easy to replace. I let my husband do it. I wouldn't let him repair the car, but anything that is flat, green, and has a maze of circuitry soldered onto it falls under his jurisdiction. It also seemed easier to program and the buttons were easier to push. I told him that, and he pointed out that it was probably less intimidating after seeing its guts hanging out moments earlier. I suppose that's true, no matter what (or who), right?

I haven't uncrossed my fingers yet. ;)

Sarah

Emily 2006-10-19 4:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by elle
Just got off the phone with Paragon. The 1b-1 read-out (that I caught just in time) is the software program number - probably something like version 5.0, 5.1 type deal you would see with home computer software upgrades and such. They are replacing my controller with a version *C* - which would read 1c-1 instead of 1b-1. Hopefully, this means they are on their way to working the bugs out of the newer 4.0 SentryXpress model. It might be a good idea when/if you order *any* kiln with a SentryXpress 4.0 controller to make sure and ask if it is the newest (non-buggy) version.

How do you figure out which version you have? I have a Paragon SC-2 kiln (little square kiln) that I bought this summer that has a SentryXpress 4.0 controller (I think -- have to go home and check.) I bought it in June, which would have been right before the Bluebirds were released, I think. It hasn't done anything funky so far, but I've used it for PMC and slumping dichro and have used the bead door only once, I think.

elle 2006-10-19 10:40pm

When I flip the switch on, it will say something before IDLE. My first controller said 1b-1, and the new one says C-1. I don't recall much about the first one since I only used it once, but the new one always says that before it goes to IDLE.

meadowesky 2006-10-20 12:49am

When I ordered mine last week I was assured that they had fixed the problem. I will be PISSED if it is not fixed and I have to go through what you all did to have a functioning kiln that I paid (okay MIL paid) 500$ for.
Any updates on this??

nitefire 2006-10-21 8:35am

Hi
My new bluebird kiln finally arrived late Thursday night. Friday after noon i learned how to program it, well at least i got it to do one thing i wanted it to do. I turned it on and made a round of beads and put them in. No problems at all, it did what i programed it to do and i must have opened the bead doors about 30 times just to look at everything inside. I will say it was stinky the first time i turned it on. I was told this is do to the binders that are used in the walls of the kiln burning away. I had no problem with the beads sticking to the floor of the kiln. The inside of the kiln on the floor and side walls are made of fiber blanket that has a semi-hard coating on it so nothing (unless molten) sticks to it. I read some where that as long as the kiln your buying comes from the Paragon factory there shouldn't be any control board problems. I understand that any kilns made early this year were sent back and the complete control boards were replaced. Please correct me if anyone has more current information. I had my kiln on for almost 3 hours and everything was fine. It heated up to 1000 degrees in just over 1 hour. I am going to love this kiln!
Elaine

Hey Brandie i think you will be very happy with this kiln also.

Solstice 2006-10-30 9:05pm

I ordered a Bluebird from All Fired Up (even lower price than Clay King!) late September. When I first fired it up I got the thermocouple error and after speaking with the folks at Paragon they sent me a new board for the controller. As others have posted, it was the "b" board as opposed to the "c" board. I installed it in 5 minutes and it worked fine.

But then I noticed that when the kiln heats to garaging temp the left bead door expands and gets stuck closed. I called Paragon and was told that I should sand down the edge so it won't stick. At this point I was starting to feel like a kiln repair man and I hadn't even got to anneal a batch of beads yet! When I looked more closesly at the kiln doors I discovered that they had been spot welded off center so the left door was aligned MUCH closer to the edge than the right door. So even if I sanded the door as they suggested it would stick at the metal part.

I mentioned that to Paragon and asked for my whole kiln to be replaced with one that actually works without servicing. But I was told they wouldn't do that and I would have to go through my supplier if I wanted a working kiln. I did this but David at All Fired Up wasn't much better. He was friendly and said he'd get me a new kiln but I'd have to pay to ship the old one back to him. Luckily I negotiated to keep the one with the broken door until he got me the new one. After two weeks and several emails to David with no answers as to when I might expect my new kiln he said that Paragon was going to be cutting metal for a new batch at the end of October and I'd get mine sometime after that.

Needless to say I'm anything but excited about Paragon's customer service. I spoke with all 3 customer service reps and they were all rather unfriendly and unhelpful. Too bad I like Paragon kilns so much. If I didn't I'd never buy another again just because of the service. Hope I never need any repair work on it!!

PaulaD 2006-10-30 9:48pm

Wow. That is upsetting! I get much better service than that out of Jen-Ken!!!

Paula