Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boro Room (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Signing marbles (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95820)

sandree 2008-06-22 5:23pm

Signing marbles

I have been working on marbles a bit and now I need to learn how to sign them. I have a titanium pen but I'm not sure if I am using it correctly. I wet the pen and the marble and write but the result is so light and faint, I'm not sure I am doing it right. Should I push hard enough to hear it scratching?? Any tips?? I have never been able to write small. Could I develop a one letter sig - like an S with a spiral - would that be acceptable in marble circles??

Sandy

menty666 2008-06-23 4:15am

I just got a TI pen and was wondering the same thing...bump...

joebirder 2008-06-23 4:31am

You do need to push.. You will hear a scraping noise which is not scratching the glass, but putting a layer of titanium on the glass.
There is a artist who has an S with a swirl on the tail of the S. Josh Simpson signs his smaller marbles with just an S...
Use a scrap piece of glass or a marble that didn't come out to practice on. The more you do it, the smaller you will be able to write. Just like doing glass.. Practice, Practice,Practice..
I tried to to come up with a signiture that was made up of straight lines to make it easier to write ( MMM ) But then the date changed to 08 and I have to do circles anyway which I find harder... :???:
It will come to you...Good luck..
Joe

sandree 2008-06-23 5:08am

Thanks, Joe - just what I needed to know!

Sandy

Cosmo 2008-06-23 12:04pm

If you take some coarse sand paper and round off the tip of the pen just a little, it will leave a wider line on the glass and be easier to read.

sandree 2008-06-23 12:12pm

Thanks, Cosmo - will definitely do that as it is too faint now.

Sandy

sunray 2008-06-24 10:23am

Mike Warren just signed a marble for me at GAS and as I recall, he just wet the marble not the titanium pen.. It looks great plus the marble is beautiful and so are his new sea shells

Smurfy5 2008-06-24 5:15pm

It does take practice... you want to wet the glass not the pen (embarrassing to admit that I know this... but a little bit of spit work even better than water :P ) and use firm pressure.
-Kirsten

PittsGlass 2008-06-24 6:04pm

Mommy spit is the ultimate. Elixir of all things. :-)

Smurfy5 2008-06-25 7:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by PittsGlass (Post 1927243)
Mommy spit is the ultimate. Elixir of all things. :-)

He he, isn't that the truth :grin:

wickedglass 2008-06-25 8:06am

why not make yourself some signature murrine?

Elegance_1 2008-06-26 11:57am

My DH signs his with just one initial which can be read as a W or M. This is the first letter of his first and last name so it works! It is quite light though and you have to know what you are looking for. I'm kinda glad it's light. That way is someone trys to pawn his marbles as their own, the tell tale sign will be the very lightly scratched letter. ;)

Smurfy5 2008-06-26 12:01pm

Yes, that is what I like about the titanium! It is very subtle so it doesn't take away from the design of your bead or marble. But I guess I also might be a little partial since I made my own titanium pens and I sell them :P tee hee
-Kirsten

e. mort 2008-06-26 3:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by wickedglass (Post 1928006)
why not make yourself some signature murrine?

I have found that some collectors don't want it signed, some want it signed with a ti-pen, and some don't want a signature chip in the design.

sandree 2008-06-27 5:20am

I tried the sanded down ti pen tip and the spit. It worked! Still kind of faint and wobbly - but I guess practice will help with that - thanks!

Sandy

Elegance_1 2008-06-27 1:22pm

...and Kirsten, your pen works wonderful! Thank you so much! :)

Cosmo 2008-06-27 2:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandree (Post 1931336)
I tried the sanded down ti pen tip and the spit. It worked! Still kind of faint and wobbly - but I guess practice will help with that - thanks!

Sandy

The larger the marble the easier it is. I hate signing anything under 1".