Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tips, Techniques, and Questions (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Help with silver glass (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=253869)

beachbeads 2013-10-22 1:44am

Help with silver glass

I received a gift of several silver glass rods and shards. Having studio in storage last 5 years, can someone help me with this? Heat, fuming, encasing? I am now working on a minor with oxy-con. Getting used to the flame, much different then my mini cc that was stolen.

Damselfly 2013-10-22 5:41am

There are so many different ones out there, and so many of them have their own tips, so that's a very broad question.

Plus, there's tons of great info in threads already. Have you tried searching the library?

KJohn 2013-10-22 6:20am

I haven't seen that many shards encased...there are some really neat effects with those!

The rest, it would just a matter of preference and working style. There are quite a few threads but you would have to go back a few to get to the ones that are specific. There isn't so much out for a lot of the newer ones, I have noticed.

There are also some nice tutorials. Anouk and Hayley did a few, and I can't recall the rest offhand. Some are listed in the paid tutorial section, and I think a few of those are on Etsy.

Glad you are getting things back to normal :)

beachbeads 2013-10-26 3:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by KJohn (Post 4438878)
I haven't seen that many shards encased...there are some really neat effects with those!

The rest, it would just a matter of preference and working style. There are quite a few threads but you would have to go back a few to get to the ones that are specific. There isn't so much out for a lot of the newer ones, I have noticed.

There are also some nice tutorials. Anouk and Hayley did a few, and I can't recall the rest offhand. Some are listed in the paid tutorial section, and I think a few of those are on Etsy.

Glad you are getting things back to normal :)

Thanks, I have been researching the library. I am just hesitant to put one of these precious rods in the flame as they are so expensive!

Firebrand Beads 2013-11-01 11:39am

You can learn a lot by just heating the tip of the rod, not even really using it. If it's transparent it's likely a reducer, try heating the tip in a neutral flame and seeing if it changes. If not, turn down your oxy and try reducing - what do you get? If it's opaque, you most likely need to strike it. Try heating a very small area of the tip, cool it down and reheat. That should give you an idea of what it will do. Try melting a teeny dot of clear over where the color changed - did that change too? Now you have less than a half-inch of a rod that shows what the color will do, and you haven't really "used" it. You can still apply it to a bead, even if it's not going to restrike fully or reduce fully a second time.

beachbeads 2013-11-11 7:36pm

Thanks jenny.