Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Website help and critique (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   Anyone familiar with WordPress? (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90353)

nicholebeth 2008-04-30 4:01pm

Anyone familiar with WordPress?

My current website is simply WordPress. I really like this as a way to keep my customers up to date on new listings, etc. However, I want to make the blog secondary, not my home page. I have made a different home page page that resembles my blog, but I have no idea how to install it so that the blog is no longer my home page. Any thoughts?

I was thinking I could just create a "blog" folder and put all the WP files in there, then upload my index.htm file, but I'm worried about losing my posts.

LoriGreenberg 2008-04-30 9:09pm

Nichole,

Your solution should work. You shouldn't lose posts because they're kept in a database, not as pages on your site. Always though, backup everything before you start!!!

These instructions should help
from the wordpress codex.

Good Luck!

miahawk 2008-04-30 9:27pm

I've done this before and there is one big thing to keep in mind.

wordpress stores its url somewhere (I haven't looked yet to figure out where) so right now it's pointing at your root (your domain)... so, if you throw your files into a subfolder called "blog" before changing your blog url, you'll break your site.

while it's cleaner to put your wordpress files in a subfolder, you can leave it where it is and tell your site to use a different home page in your .htaccess file.

.htaccess is usually hidden by default, but wordpress should have one that came with it.

edit it in a text editor, like notepad. never Word.

This line will tell your site which order to look for the homepage:
DirectoryIndex index.htm index.php

instead of loading wordpress's php file, it will load your html file. then you can link to Wordpress's index file (I think it's index.php, but you should double-check) so people can read your blog.

nicholebeth 2008-04-30 9:27pm

Thanks Lori! I knew that you'd know! :-)
I'll let you know how it works.

nicholebeth 2008-04-30 9:28pm

Thanks, Michelle. I'll check into that.

Frostfire 2008-05-01 9:28am

Simpler way -- create a Page, not a post, in WordPress. Then go into your Admin panel and there's an option somewhere to set a static page as your home page instead of the standard posts page. Unfortunately I'm not at a computer where I can easily get to my WordPress or I could tell you exactly where. PM me if you want more info or a step-by-step guide.

nicholebeth 2008-05-21 12:59pm

Ugh. I'm changing hosts, so now I've just complicated the whole matter. I think I'm just going to do away with the blog all together. There really isn't any useful information on it - it is mostly just to alert readers to my new listings.