Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tips, Techniques, and Questions (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Dip-n-Go SLUDGE ULTRA - OMG (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=284517)

dehoffa 2016-01-03 10:22am

Dip-n-Go SLUDGE ULTRA - OMG

I love the convenience of flame drying my mandrels. So, when I ran out of my favorite, I went to Arrow Springs and found they now have a new one.

OK, I ordered it, with fear and trepidations. OMG I am delighted with my purchase.

I found it smooth, easy to dry and proceeded to torch. I liked that it changed color as it dried.

Since I have a day job and torch when it allows, I need something that will keep on the mandrel for later use. I loaded up my mandrel holders with various sizes and torched that day. Then over the next week, used them all up. Even after sitting a week, no problem with flaking or chipping.

Way to go Arrow Springs.

Ann De

P.S. I forgot to mention how easy it was to remove when I finished annealing. No soaking required!

shawnette 2016-01-03 12:18pm

Haven't tried the Ultra, but I love the others. I've had mandrels dipped for years that are still good. (I don't make beads very often.)

MagpieGlass 2016-01-03 2:06pm

Great to know.

I'm just about of out my Super Blue Sludge and know that this was the replacement.

The blue can be a bit tough to clean out of the beads than some of my other bead releases. Glad to hear this cleans out easily as well.

I feel a shopping trip coming up!! LOL

Chocake 2016-01-03 2:11pm

I like it too.

KJohn 2016-01-03 3:20pm

They sent me a sample with an order, and I got some more immediately. Love the stuff, it's my new go-to. I can get most of the beads off the mandrel by hand afterwards, but I find cleaning the beads themselves is a little tougher.

dehoffa 2016-01-03 7:02pm

My DH came up with a trick, heat the beads to about 150 in CLR, yep the lime cleaner. Leave about 30 minutes. Breaks down the agents. I haven't done any silver glass this way, but normal glad and encasement does well.

glvz 2016-01-04 7:04pm

I like it, also. Don't the smell as it heats up, though.

Georgia

Glitzy Glass Studio 2016-01-05 12:27am

Has anyone tried it with Boro I would be interested - I like what I have now - but I am always happy to get something new :)

KJohn 2016-01-05 12:37am

I will say that I mix mine with a bit of Alice's. and that I have used it for boro. Although I do tend to make smaller beads and not work them that long, it has held up very well.

dehoffa 2016-01-05 10:15am

Yes, the CLR does smell. I take it out on the patio. Plug it in and come back later. In our Houston Summers, I put it in a plastic container, then put it out in the sun for the afternoon.

Quote:

Originally Posted by glvz (Post 4817691)
I like it, also. Don't the smell as it heats up, though.

Georgia

SharonP 2016-01-05 11:13am

Yep, the new dip n' go ultra is really, really good! I dip a lot of mandrels at once and sometimes they sit for over a month, and never any problems..

JavaGirlBT 2016-01-05 5:00pm

I love that stuff, too!

MagpieGlass 2016-01-07 10:45pm

Mine came today ... can't wait to try it.

Mountain Snail 2016-01-10 2:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SharonP (Post 4817839)
Yep, the new dip n' go ultra is really, really good! I dip a lot of mandrels at once and sometimes they sit for over a month, and never any problems..

Same here.

dsglass 2016-01-12 2:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SharonP (Post 4817839)

Is the ultra stronger than the regular blue? Does it come in regular, or only the dip 'n go?

EchoTantuli 2016-01-16 2:44pm

I love the Ultra too! To answer if it is stronger than Super Blue the answer is No. You can do boro with it, but it is not as strong as Super Blue. Both are fantastic I only use Sludge... for me it is the best I've used even if it is harder to clean up, it is worth the holding power.