Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boro Room (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   New torch (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=307295)

snofox 2018-08-26 8:04pm

New torch recommendations

I am ready to retire my Nortel Red Max and purchase a new torch. I love the ability to work both small pieces (beads) and large marbles (2") with just one torch. Any suggestions on what might be a good fit to continue working both small and larger pieces with just one torch?

Kare TX 2018-08-26 8:29pm

I happen to like GTT. I have a Mirage that can go large and small that I use with Boro. They have several models depending on your price point.

echeveria 2018-08-27 6:02am

I think the Bethlehem Bravo might also meet your needs.

Shaper 2018-08-27 10:36am

The Bravo is a good torch and would probably do everything you want your torch to do. That being said I prefer GTT torches over Bethlehem torches.
I owned a Bethlehem when I first started and liked it but it didn't have the heat penetration that the GTT's have. Next I bought a GTT Phantom, 4 stud so I could hook up a foot pedal, and it will do everything you want it to do. Small delicate work and up to 2 1/2 inch marbles.
I then bought a GTT Mirage, which I love and can do more than I need it to.
The GTT torches have a bit of a learning curve in order to get the different sized flames from pin point to large bushy flames but the range is there to use and it just takes a little practice to learn how to use the torch.
I also own a Nortel Arrow torch which I find great for fuming and smaller work, it saves gas over the Mirage for smaller things.

Have fun with whatever you choose.

snofox 2018-08-28 7:35pm

Thank you for all of your suggestions. I appreciate it tremendously and will consider both brands. :-):smile:

e. mort 2018-09-11 11:01am

Go with GTT. You will get better colors with the silver glasses.

speedingpullet 2018-09-14 8:51am

I'm a fan of GTT touches too.
I live in an extreme fire zone and am not allowed to have tanked oxygen on my property. So I run my Scorpion 4-stud on oxygen concentrators and BBQ propane canisters, which the Scorpion takes in its stride - in fact it was designed with oxycons in mind.

KA 2018-09-15 6:13am

My GTT Mirage has served my needs for the things you mentioned. The only things it is not suited for are large murine and delicate work using small stringers because of the higher pressures. Kimo did 4” Galaxy marbles on a Mirage. I am not sure how though.

I think other touches are better at fuming silver and gold like the Carlisle CC but I was able to get pretty good results with the Mirage until I switched to oxycons. The lower O2 percentage is not optimal for fuming.

Lampwork49 2018-09-16 6:46am

I love the GTTs also. Started with a Lynx and later moved to Phantom. It's awesome. I run the center on concentrators and the outer fire on ranked.

Firehorse 2018-09-19 2:42am

I am happy with the Bravo.