Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tips, Techniques, and Questions (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Double Helix "Zephyr" Testing *New Non Reactive Clear* (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193949)

AKDesigns 2011-04-28 8:38am

Double Helix "Zephyr" Testing *New Non Reactive Clear*

A few of us were sent a sample of a non reactive clear that DH is working on. I thought I'd show the test beads I've done so far and see if anyone else has some to share as well.

I picked the two colors that Aether seems to react with the most for me and that's Triton and Clio.

This is Triton. Both beads were webbed, reduced and encased. Left side is Aether, right is Zephyr:

This is Clio. Both beads have silver foil, were reduced and encased. Left side is Aether, right is Zephyr. If you look at the top 1/4 of the beads you can see the difference the best. IRL the Aether bead is amber and the Zephyr bead is fuchsia. It's just not easy to see that in the photo.

Anybody else have any feedback?

glassactcc 2011-04-28 8:50am

Those are beautiful. I really like that punch color set.
I am just wondering how much this clear will cost.

JavaGirlBT 2011-04-28 8:52am

WANT.

AKDesigns 2011-04-28 8:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by glassactcc (Post 3507689)
I am just wondering how much this clear will cost.

At this point I think they are wanting feedback to see if there is enough interest to move forward with production.

Troll Lover 2011-04-28 8:57am

WANT, is it just as soft and perfectly clear as Aether Amy?

chrissij 2011-04-28 8:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AKDesigns (Post 3507694)
At this point I think they are wanting feedback to see if there is enough interest to move forward with production.

Seriously?

AKDesigns 2011-04-28 8:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Troll Lover (Post 3507697)
WANT, is it just as soft and perfectly clear as Aether Amy?

Definitely as clear as Aether and maybe not quite as melty as it but close. Hopefully someone else that has tried it will chime in on the meltiness because I'm not sure I'm the best judge of that.

AKDesigns 2011-04-28 9:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrissij (Post 3507698)
Seriously?

:lol: That's pretty much what I said.

Alex9 2011-04-28 9:10am

Most definitely want! I'd love to have a clear that is somewhat stiffer than Aether and doesn't turn everything yellow.

Troll Lover 2011-04-28 9:11am

Can't wait to try it on bigger beads too, to see if it melts just as smooth as Aether. This could just be the most perfect clear ever! Now let's just hope & pray that it's affordable [-o< !

Thanks Amy :).

*Naos* 2011-04-28 9:52am

I had a little bit of scumming yesterday but then I realized the rod I was using had a scratch down it. But the scum went away during the final melt. I, too, have noticed that it allows the true color of the silver glass to come in. It also has less of tendency to turn silver foil yellow - which makes me very happy!

As far as viscosity, I love it!!! It melts very easily on my HotHead! YAY!

Tish 2011-04-28 9:57am

Yes Jed, there's enough interest, lol. Beautiful beads Amy, thanks for sharing. I hope DH moves forward with this soon, I've got a bin full of crappy clear glass from other manufacturers and I'm hesitant to buy anything but Aether nowadays.

Thanks for hearing us, Jed!

Quote:

Originally Posted by AKDesigns (Post 3507694)

Astrid Riedel 2011-04-28 9:59am

Ohhh, this sound promising :)

AKDesigns 2011-04-28 10:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tish (Post 3507773)
YI've got a bin full of crappy clear glass from other manufacturers and I'm hesitant to buy anything but Aether nowadays.

Thanks for hearing us, Jed!

You sound just like me. The only non reactive clear I have right now is Reichenbach and they're all 4mm rods which really annoy me so I don't even bothering using them except for dots. I need this glass.

MaryBeth 2011-04-28 10:08am

I'll buy it! I love, love, love Aether but I only use it on non-silver glass as I usually don't like the green cast it produces. I certainly could use a no-scum, soft, non-reactive clear that is usable over silver foil and silver glass.

Bring it on!

GlassGalore 2011-04-28 11:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaryBeth (Post 3507784)
I'll buy it! I love, love, love Aether but I only use it on non-silver glass as I usually don't like the green cast it produces. I certainly could use a no-scum, soft, non-reactive clear that is usable over silver foil and silver glass.

Bring it on!

^^ Yes, this!!! ^^ So long as the price point is no worse than Aether. 8-[ Even less would be a blessing! [-o<

SuzyQ 2011-04-28 11:13am

Quote:

Originally Posted by javagirlbt (Post 3507691)
want.

super want

SuzyQ 2011-04-28 11:16am

Has this been tested with regular 104 glass and silver?

Silver Moon Lampwork 2011-04-28 11:58am

I tested it over Effetre light ivory, silver wire, dichroic, TAG Deep Purple, Striking Color, Ekho, Clio, and Aurae. No compatibility problems. I'm kind of embarassed to show this photo because these were quick and dirty test beads. The bead on the left is Aether over reduced Clio. The bead on the right is Zephyr over reduced Clio.

http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/v...beads/Clio.jpg

I found Zephyr to be a little bit stiffer than Aether, but still soft and easy to melt. I would definitely buy it.

lenora 2011-04-28 12:00pm

I'm very interested!!!

Carolyn M 2011-04-28 12:07pm

I am soooooooo interested!

SuzyQ 2011-04-28 1:48pm

Did the silver stay silver Lynn? no yellowish reaction?

Sherry 2011-04-28 2:09pm

I'll buy it. Please.

Hayley 2011-04-28 2:52pm

It's slightly stiffer than Aether but melts like butter just like Aether. I will try to post pics tomorrow!

yeepers 2011-04-28 3:08pm

Perfect if you don't want the Aether reactions with other silver glass :) I'd definitely be interested!!

Dawn >^..^< 2011-04-28 3:14pm

I have a couple test beads to show. I picked the two colors that seem to be most affected by the Aether color change, Triton and Clio. Although I have to say that Aether is my all-time favorite clear and I hope they continue to produce it....But I'm really looking forward to them adding Zephyr to their line. Thank you so much, Jed and Julie!!

Love the way Zephyr melts with no scumming and the rods were flawless! Pardon the bad photo and the quick test beads, but I think this photo is worth a thousand words!

Here they are...... Clio (top) and Triton (bottom)
The left side of the center line is encased in Aether, and Zephyr is on the right.

chrissij 2011-04-28 3:18pm

Cool, Dawn. I'll be laying in wait for its debut...

I must say that I like Triton better encased in Aether, but then I'm in love with the color green.

MaryBeth 2011-04-28 3:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dawn >^..^< (Post 3508256)
I have a couple test beads to show. I picked the two colors that seem to be most affected by the Aether color change, Triton and Clio. Although I have to say that Aether is my all-time favorite clear and I hope they continue to produce it....But I'm really looking forward to them adding Zephyr to their line. Thank you so much, Jed and Julie!!

Love the way Zephyr melts with no scumming and the rods were flawless! Pardon the bad photo and the quick test beads, but I think this photo is worth a thousand words!

Here they are...... Clio (top) and Triton (bottom)
The left side of the center line is encased in Aether, and Zephyr is on the right.

I love it! I do like the green but not all of the time! Zephyr will give us a choice.

Dawn >^..^< 2011-04-28 3:25pm

I LOVE what Aether does with Triton...that gorgeous coppery green, and I even like the way it looks over Clio. Kind of a watermelon tourmaline effect.....BUT....I love the Blue Triton and the super pink Clio when using the Zephyr! It's nice to be able to choose what look you want just by changing the encasing glass.

JavaGirlBT 2011-04-28 3:30pm

*drool*

I'm in for a bunch of pounds.