Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tutorials (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Wine stopper tutorial (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38880)

mgakaccinelli 2006-11-14 8:26am

Wine stopper tutorial

Is there any wine stopper tutorials out there? Thanks Gail

Glassgoodies 2006-11-14 9:25am

It's easy peasy:

1. Make a large bead on the end of your mandrel so that the hole doesn't go all the way through.

2. After proper annealing, clean out the bead release.

3. Mix your 2 part epoxy according to the instructions.

4. Place some epoxy on the stopper post and some on the stopper bead, close to th hole and let it tack.

5. Put the stopper bead over the post and hold tight for a few seconds. (Clean up any excess epoxy immediately)

6. Let epoxy cure overnight. (some epoxies don't require that much time)

I recommend using a clear epoxy, but any will work if the bead is not transparent. I prefer clears becuse sometimes you will have some excess squeeze out that you can't get completely cleaned up.

mgakaccinelli 2006-11-14 1:00pm

Thank you for your help. I will try that. Gail:smile:

meadowesky 2006-11-14 1:11pm

I make mine on the end of a mandrel but completely cover the end of it. (think vessel) I build up the bulk with clear (saves $$) and then I encase the clear with whatever base color I want. Then I decorate as wanted. I make sure that the bottom of the bead (facing the mandrel) is straight and even.
When I am done I anneal, clean it out and then I can cut the little mandrel thingy on the winestopper down to whatever size I need and epoxy it on.

I just found it too difficult to make sure that the bead I made was exactly the right size when using the top bead with the winestopper.

Wumpmonk 2006-11-14 1:47pm

Where do you buy the stoppers?

Susan

Glassgoodies 2006-11-14 2:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wumpmonk (Post 849779)
Where do you buy the stoppers?

Susan

www.glassgoodies.com

(shameless self promotion)

Wumpmonk 2006-11-14 4:22pm

You website shows these as "sold out". Do you have them in stock?

Susan

Glassgoodies 2006-11-14 4:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wumpmonk (Post 850057)
You website shows these as "sold out". Do you have them in stock?

Susan

Yes, all 3 styles are in stock.

mgakaccinelli 2006-11-14 6:45pm

Thank you for all your help. I am going to try this tonight. Gail

DreamMuse 2006-11-15 11:06am

I make mine like Brandie does, and I've found if I keep a blank stopper next to my bench, I can do a quick eyeball and get the size pretty close.

I also have a few extra winestopper bases that I was selling in the garage sale for $3.50 each (plus shipping). They're the kind that Brandie used. I still have a few, so pm me if you're interested *smiles*

Becky Mason 2006-12-08 12:35pm

If you want to get a perfectly sized and spherically shaped bead, try using either a graphite bead mold or a brass dapping tool. I actually use both when I'm making my wine stopper bead tops.

Here are a few that I made recently. Some of them aren't spherical, but several are.

ellyloo 2006-12-08 1:35pm

There are also stoppers that have a knob on top that you can make a bead for, and pop it on, and then put the knob back... I've just bought some, and can't wait to try.

Karen Hardy 2006-12-08 7:30pm

What's the name of the epoxy you recommend to use???

Also - if the big bead doesn't fit the end (if the metal part is too long),
I'm assuming that you just use a saw and cut off the excess length from the
metal wine stopper?

I bought a bunch of these (the ones that have a screw off end) and I;m going
bonkers trying to mix and match beads to fit on the end.

jhana 2006-12-08 7:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Becky Mason (Post 889270)
If you want to get a perfectly sized and spherically shaped bead, try using either a graphite bead mold or a brass dapping tool. I actually use both when I'm making my wine stopper bead tops.

Here are a few that I made recently. Some of them aren't spherical, but several are.

I like this style stopper, where do you get them?

mgakaccinelli 2006-12-09 9:13pm

Thank you for all your help everyone. Love your stoppers. Gail

The Pear Door 2006-12-11 3:34am

What size mandrel do you work off of? I have some of that stlye but haven't had the time to do anything with them. The ends of mine are threaded.

Joanne Owsley 2006-12-11 12:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ellyloo (Post 889377)
There are also stoppers that have a knob on top that you can make a bead for, and pop it on, and then put the knob back... I've just bought some, and can't wait to try.

I've been looking for that style. Where did you find it?

ellyloo 2006-12-11 12:59pm

... at my stained glass store...:(

I"ll check to see what they're called.
(I dont' THINK I'm mistaken....I hope I'm not...)

AKDesigns 2006-12-11 4:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhana (Post 889799)
I like this style stopper, where do you get them?

They lool exactly like the ones I just got from here:
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cg...n&key=050-0095

I haven't made a bead yet for them. I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to get it in the kiln because I only use the mandrel racks...no fiber blanket.

Amy

jhana 2006-12-11 4:43pm

Thanks!!
You might have to rig up a rack with some scrap stainless steel.

Bunyip 2006-12-12 7:55am

I made one. I used a rod rest in my kiln, and laid the mandrel on one of the indentations in the rod rest with the stopper end hanging over the back. That might work with a mandrel rack too, depending on the size etc. Another possibility is a tray full of popcorn salt a la Drew Fritts' book.

Here's mine. Picasso & Black over a clear base:
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-3/15236/stop2.jpg

Glassgoodies 2006-12-12 8:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joanne Owsley (Post 892908)
I've been looking for that style. Where did you find it?

https://store.abasg.com/

AKDesigns 2006-12-12 11:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunyip (Post 894017)
I made one. I used a rod rest in my kiln, and laid the mandrel on one of the indentations in the rod rest with the stopper end hanging over the back.

Geez Louise....why didn't I think of that? Brilliant! But now I don't have an excuse for not making them for Christmas!

Thirteenmoons 2006-12-12 12:50pm

I make mine alittle differently... I use the threaded type from Shawnette. I use a 5/16" hollow mandrel the same size as the thick part below the threads. I make a base bead near the end of the tube, coil on my glass, melt, blow out, and decorate the surface. Then I clean and epoxy. Pretty much the same as a vessel without handles. They're nice and light so I can go pretty large without making it top heavy on the bottle. My fish and turtle ones have been selling best this year.

flamingo 2006-12-12 9:23pm

where to obtain stopper base?

where can you purchase the metal base for the stopper?

rusticstudio 2006-12-12 10:33pm

I've got some wine stopper bases I'm selling for $2.50 each plus shipping. See my listing in the Garage Sale.

Kaleidoglass 2006-12-13 1:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thirteenmoons (Post 894530)
I use a 5/16" hollow mandrel the same size as the thick part below the threads.

Hey Lauren, where do you get your 5/16" mandrels? I don't see that Wale has them. Been looking through the internet and can't find them.

Glassgoodies 2006-12-13 2:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaleidoglass (Post 896221)
Hey Lauren, where do you get your 5/16" mandrels? I don't see that Wale has them. Been looking through the internet and can't find them.

You can get 5/16" rod at Ace Hardware pretty cheap. They have Stainless tubing, also.

Kaleidoglass 2006-12-13 2:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glassgoodies (Post 896232)
You can get 5/16" rod at Ace Hardware pretty cheap. They have Stainless tubing, also.

Geez, that was too easy. I was looking at all the glass suppliers.

Thirteenmoons 2006-12-13 4:42pm

Hi Nancy! I also have the 5/16" tubing for sale for $6 each. I'll be carrying them along with several other sizes in the shop. I can bring some on Sunday if you like!