Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tips, Techniques, and Questions (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Is there a maroon colored glass? (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126777)

lenora 2009-04-08 6:44pm

Is there a maroon colored glass?

I need maroon or burgundy opaque glass. I pretty much stick to Moretti and there is nothing close. Is there something out there that is maroon or bugundy? Help!!!

Carolyn M 2009-04-08 6:57pm

Wouldn't the purple red work? I'm not sure exactly what colour you want. More of a purple?

Gayetha 2009-04-08 7:34pm

Dark amethyst over ivory or white will give you a maroon colour

joycerenee 2009-04-08 7:35pm

Purple reds works for me, too.

Joyce

Wumpmonk 2009-04-08 7:46pm

I vote for purple red.

FosterFire 2009-04-08 8:06pm

Some of the brown 444 look maroon opaque to me, especially when I want them to be brown, of course!

evolvingBeau 2009-04-08 8:28pm

I agree with the red-brown although we have some "Strawberry Sweet" odds (vetrofond I think) that my eye went to also..

bjcohan 2009-04-08 9:21pm

My favorite maroon/burgundy glass is the Check Glass transparent garnet vintage. It's a striking color, a lovely lovely rich burgundy. I've never seen anything like it in the Moretti/Effetre/Vetrofond palette. It looks like a glass of merlot.

Of course, it's not very compatible with the Moretti/Effetre/Vetrofond line, so I've used it mostly for spacers or with other Check glass, but it is so pretty. Then again, so is their tourmaline pink, their denim, and their grape.

It's available on their website, www.checkglass.com. Hopefully, the guys will have it at the Gathering in Miami so you can fondle it in person.

Barb

PS - If you must stay at 104, how about CiM bordello?

lenora 2009-04-08 9:51pm

great suggestions! I'll start trying them out! It doesn't have to be moretti. I'll try anything.

Shrimp 2009-04-08 9:53pm

Yes Lenora! You are looking for opaque. Vetrofond Coral for Maroon. And Moretti Purple Red for Burgandy

Vetrofond Coral encased in clear with Raku stringers

lenora 2009-04-09 5:08am

Thank you!!!

GinnyHampton 2009-04-09 5:20am

Another vote for purple red . . . you can also encase it with a thin layer of transp purple, that's pretty also!

Edited to add photos - - - here is the color you get with purple red:

Ever After 2009-04-09 5:30am

incase opaque red with tran purple,
the darker purple you use the more burgundy..

Moth 2009-04-09 6:51am

Maybe I'm nuts but I don't think purple red is maroonish at all.

Red brown would do. Maybe even wine red- but I'm thinking that might be an old color they don't make anymore??? Maybe it is readily available but I haven't ordered any in years so I don't know. It was a lot like the red brown though.

Our school districts colors are maroon and gold and when I make beads for the kids for school stuff I use the wine red.

~~Mary

MelanieG 2009-04-09 8:22am

CiM Simply Berry is sort of maroon-purple coloured. If you layered it over red you'd get more of the reddish tint to it.

sierracatzlampwork 2009-04-09 9:35am

My choice is CIM Bordello...love it ! The closest I have found to marroon

Virginia 2009-04-09 11:34am

hmm, I don't like the CIM bordello - if I can find what I did with it, I will send it to you to try - I just haven't had good luck with it - I only have part of a rod, so I might not be able to find it, but at least you could try it.
would love to see what you do with it Barbara, pics please - I just haven't gotten what I want with it. I love all the other CIM colors I have tried. (just wanted to stick that in, didn't want this to seem like a CIM jab)

sierracatzlampwork 2009-04-09 11:57am

Virginia - I did take pics - they are still on my camera..made a focal & two lentils with terranova 2 frit as accent ...My pics are NEVER very good and the colors might not be very true but as soon as I retrieve my camera I will get them downloaded! I have already sold several focals using it and these are similar..people seem to like the color!

bolimasa 2009-04-09 12:11pm

My best burgandy was red transparent over one of the browns..... I loves those beads, but most of them cracked... I'm not sure that brown wanted to be encased....

hotblubonnet 2009-04-09 1:40pm

Awwww....don't tell me you are making beads in Texas A & M colors!!!

I had the same dilemma but was looking for Longhorn colors!! Bullseye Burnt Orange is EXACTLY the right color for making Longhorn beads!!!

So...you just have to switch teams...then no color issues!!!

Hook'em Horns!!

lenora 2009-04-09 2:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotblubonnet (Post 2453267)
Awwww....don't tell me you are making beads in Texas A & M colors!!!

I had the same dilemma but was looking for Longhorn colors!! Bullseye Burnt Orange is EXACTLY the right color for making Longhorn beads!!!

So...you just have to switch teams...then no color issues!!!

Hook'em Horns!!

I am a Longhorn! But my husband works with a lady who is an Aggie. This is totally killing me!!!! :(

Elizabeth Beads 2009-04-09 4:38pm

Original Cim Lipstick! I'm surprised no one has mentioned that. It's perfectly maroon. (And we are a house divided too, but it's between Longhorns and Raiders.)

:)

geeterbeader 2009-04-09 9:36pm

Here's the winner...

You will want to get "Unique Lipstick Red" by CiM. If possible, get a single rod from ur supplier to do a test bead. Flamekissed sales single rods if u want to check w/ them.
I would send u a picture of the bead I made w/ that color but I cant find it at the moment...(naturally). But yeah, Im sure this is the color u r wantin'.
-Lindsey
*I just read the post above mine from -erose and she said use the regular lipstick shade...I say go w/ the unique!!! he he.

Oh and I found a picture of the bead too so here it is. Its the base color.

geeterbeader 2009-04-09 9:37pm

Damn, why are my pictures SOOOO HUGE???

artwhim 2009-04-09 10:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by geeterbeader (Post 2453981)
Damn, why are my pictures SOOOO HUGE???

Because it's easier to see the cute guy in the toilet!

khammil 2009-04-09 11:19pm

Another vote for CiM Lipstick. I use the regular but I sometimes layer a transparent on it if I want to make it more red or more brown.

Dark topaz over Lipstick is nummy, but a little browner than you're probably looking for. Try Bordello, Sangre or another transparent red over Lipstick for a more burgundy color.

lenora 2009-04-18 8:20am

I tried all of the suggestions here of glass that I had and CIM Bordello was a winner!!! Somebody had gifted me a rod a long time ago and I hadn't used it. She was thrilled with the bead and asked for four more!! I'm not sure that's a good thing for me being the Longhorn that I am, but I will go ahead and make them.

Also, I thought this was funny. This is for her Pandora bracelet. As soon as she got the bead, she took it to the store at the Dallas Galleria and showed it to the clerks who sell the Pandora stuff. They loved it! Can you believe it? No nasty knockoff comments. They actually complimented the craftsmanship and said Pandora doesn't make anything like that. Yeah for the lampworker. Respect feels pretty good!!

PaulaD 2009-04-18 8:33am

I have a black cherry/deep burgundy color from Lauscha. It's transparent in the rod but goes translucent with heat. No one maker has this exact same color and it's beautiful. As are all of these colors here!
Paula