Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Free Boro Tutorials (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   Boro Color Combinations/Recipes (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105586)

Kim V 2008-09-26 6:13pm

What a great, sharing group here! Thank you!!!

Nickeson Designs 2008-09-27 1:03pm

wow

Thanks Ya'll

can't wait to try these out.

Dan

Twisted Glass 2008-09-27 8:14pm

Lol we need this thread bumbed to the top lol I need more color for my addiction. Lol the funny thing is I have all Momo/NS/GA colors and tuns of pastels and I still look at my station and say I need more color????

AuntD 2008-09-28 7:02am

NS Irrid mixed with GA Disco Sparkle results in something a lot like Silver Unobtainium. This is handy to know if you run out. :)

AuntD 2008-09-28 7:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by menty666 (Post 2092677)
If you're fulcrum mixing a drill can make it a little easier since you can get it really thoroughly twisted in, kind of like a mixer vs. you and a spoon.

Get a lightweight drill though, trust me :)

My nice lightweight 15-year old cordless drill won't hold a charge anymore, and those big testosterone-replacement drills (seriously, a 10-pound DRILL? to use all day? with one hand? Sometimes a drill is more than a drill, my friends) are too big for me to use with small hands. And nothing to prove, drill-wise. ;) Anyone know of a good very lightweight drill with jaws that adjust for any size rod? There are lots of small lightweight tools with enough power that only accept a 1/4 inch bit, but I can't always convince my glass rods to have 1/4 inch diameter ends. I hate being outwitted by inanimate objects.

:)

ginkgoglass 2008-09-29 5:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by sableglass (Post 2091970)
Lapis "like" blue tubing = periwinkle with a layer of dark cobalt pulled down.

I'm not understanding this one -- is it periwinkle over blue tubing or those two colors over clear tubing?

Thanks,

sableglass 2008-09-29 9:54am

sorry...lol

start with Clear tubing, then a layer of periwinkle covering the entire tube. then a coat of dark cobalt encasing the periwinkle. Pull that down and use to how you see fit. = lapis blue tubing.

sableglass 2008-09-29 9:57am

another combo of interesting color tubing is...

clear tubing encased with moss, then a layer of dark cobalt or brilliant blue encasing the moss, pull that down.

I normally use 32mm or 38mm clear tubing to start.

patezd 2008-09-29 3:52pm

Thanks all! I am still so new to boro I am hungry for any and all tips on how to use the stuff! Boro has so many characters.........and I'm not just talking about it's enthusiasts! :) I have 1/4 pound lots of a few colors and the GA Sampler to toss in the mix so I can experiment for AGES to come! And silly me, I kept reading "over" to mean "encase" when folks talked about using one color over another.......but thankfully after only a couple of weeks, I realized what it really meant! See! I can catch on pretty fast sometimes!

Thanks again to all, this is such a great group of characters.......er.......folks! :)

Deb

vega 2008-10-01 8:05pm

IMPLOSIONS: I get really good results from a layer of triple passion(thirtyeight) then a layer of amazon bronze(thirtyeight), implode, spin, stike. Its hot orange/yellow/red/purple with a ghost of blue. I recommend backing with raven(82) becuase amazon bronze can leave a real funky backside (unless you like a little junk in your trunk), which of course was intended by GA to look like real brass patina.

Crazy Woman 2008-10-02 8:11am

Okay, I have one for all you purple fans ~ Borostix 14 ~ Spring Purple cased with NS 113 ~ Turbo Amethyst.... so yummy!!

Image after posting looks lots darker.... give it a try ~ I think you will like it! :grin:

LampworkbyLori 2008-10-11 10:44am

THANK YOU EVERYONE!! I'm a newbie with a small stash of boro. Just got my 2 M-15's and heading off to try a few of these! Wish me luck! :-)

jknappcampbell 2008-10-14 9:08am

Ok, I need to visit here more often. Thanks everyone!

ginkgoglass 2008-12-06 11:01am

Updated this thread through 12/06/08.
:kiss:

chayes 2008-12-06 2:56pm

Quote:

My nice lightweight 15-year old cordless drill won't hold a charge anymore, and those big testosterone-replacement drills (seriously, a 10-pound DRILL? to use all day? with one hand? Sometimes a drill is more than a drill, my friends) are too big for me to use with small hands. And nothing to prove, drill-wise. Anyone know of a good very lightweight drill with jaws that adjust for any size rod? There are lots of small lightweight tools with enough power that only accept a 1/4 inch bit, but I can't always convince my glass rods to have 1/4 inch diameter ends. I hate being outwitted by inanimate objects.
http://shop.ebay.com/items/ryobi%20l...?_dmd=2&_sop=1
I purchased one of the ryobi 12volt lithium drill from home depot.It was 70$ and came with an extra battery and carrying case. Since the lithium battery weighs less and the drill is smaller this works great for mixing color. I'm very happy with it. Oh yeah it fits up to a 10mm boro rod.

Karen Hardy 2008-12-06 3:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ginkgoglass (Post 2238697)
Updated this thread through 12/06/08.
:kiss:

Thank you for keeping this going Lana!
So awesome!!!

Mary K 2008-12-07 6:12pm

Green Exotic Frit

These are always a favorite for me. This is Green exotic frit over Ruby Strike 4. Just remember that you can't use Schott to encase, you will not get the reactions shown here. ( why I do not know ) I always use simax clear, for these.

Granger'sGlass 2008-12-07 7:55pm

Mix up real good equal amounts of Northstar rootbeer and Northstar green exotic then if you want coat with a thin layer of clear, twist a bit then pull down to a usable size.

Afterdark 2008-12-08 10:28am

Lana- you are awesome to start this thread and share your knowledge and love for boro glass.
Everyone who is adding more information- Thank you! Boro is not the easiest and it's great to get some help from my experienced glass friends.

aimee 2008-12-10 2:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Afterdark (Post 2241999)
Lana- you are awesome to start this thread and share your knowledge and love for boro glass.
Everyone who is adding more information- Thank you! Boro is not the easiest and it's great to get some help from my experienced glass friends.

DITTO!!!

Ro 2008-12-11 8:13am

wow thanks, i always forget about mixing!
ro

samandsha 2008-12-14 5:00pm

WOW...ya'all. I'm getting some crazy screamin' colors from Galactic Dragon Fire and Silvered Amy and White. As soon as I get them out of the kiln, I'll get pics. I'm jazzed.
Samma

ginkgoglass 2008-12-15 6:51am

Ooooooo I just got some Galactic Dragon Fire in the mail, Can't wait!

patezd 2008-12-15 9:25am

I got some really cool magenta out of Momka's American Beauty with Northstar Butterscotch frit over it! I hadn't been using the American Beauty because it is a really "blood red" color by itself (at least that is what it did for me......) and I wasn't too excited about it but one piece I made had some Northstar Caramel on it and where it met the American Beauty it turned it sort of magenta. Last night I decided to see what it would do with the Butterscotch frit and was really, REALLY, RRRREEEEEEEALLLLLY delighted with the results! I'll post a pic as soon as I get a photo!

Cosmo 2008-12-15 9:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mary K (Post 2240840)

These are always a favorite for me. This is Green exotic frit over Ruby Strike 4. Just remember that you can't use Schott to encase, you will not get the reactions shown here. ( why I do not know ) I always use simax clear, for these.

Schott has calcium in it, which reacts differently with the glass. Simax doesn't have calcium in it.

Crazy Woman 2008-12-15 9:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by samandsha (Post 2254723)
WOW...ya'all. I'm getting some crazy screamin' colors from Galactic Dragon Fire and Silvered Amy and White. As soon as I get them out of the kiln, I'll get pics. I'm jazzed.
Samma

Galactic Dragaon Fire ~ Haven't heard about that one.... of course, I 'need' some :-D

lampworker1 2008-12-15 11:25am

Thanks so, so, so much for this thread. I have lots of Boro, now I know which direction to go in.!!!

samandsha 2008-12-15 4:28pm

K...here's the pics of the Galactic Dragon Fire and Silvered Amy over Star White
Heart:
Side 1:
http://samandsha.tripod.com/studiolockown/heart2.jpg
Side 2:
http://samandsha.tripod.com/studiolockown/heart1.jpg

Snow Flower:
http://samandsha.tripod.com/studiolo...nowflower2.jpg

Have fun ya'all ;-D

patezd 2008-12-15 5:03pm

Who sells Galactic Dragon Fire and Silvered Amy?

samandsha 2008-12-15 5:16pm

I got both at ABR. Silvered Amyseth is a Percision and Galactic Dragon Fire is a Northstar Experimental.