Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tips, Techniques, and Questions (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Colors you thought you'd like but didn't? (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200143)

Eileen 2011-07-10 6:13pm

Colors you thought you'd like but didn't?

I'm wandering through the glassy goodness available in the various lines, and thought I'd ask about colors that made you drool, you ordered them, and once you melted them & made something.... disappointment struck. I read something someone said the other day about the colors that just sit & collect dust now, and wondered why.

Which colors did you buy but now they just sit... and why don't you like them? Did they turn into poo? Just not your cup of tea?

Kevan 2011-07-10 6:24pm

When I started I had no idea what it was I would enjoy doing, what kind of beads I would make. I don't use a lot of the pastels. I never use cobalt or yellow. I don't make sets of beads that are all about color.

alb6094 2011-07-10 6:29pm

Light turquoise - I never use it. Just not a color I'm fond of anyway, I don't know why I bought it back awhile.

Mountain Snail 2011-07-10 6:52pm

The opalines. I love them before I use them, but they are too finicky at this stage of my bead making. Maybe when I am better.

Eileen 2011-07-10 6:54pm

I did try something that I think was an alabaster (not labeled) and burnt it up, LOL.

Mountain Snail 2011-07-10 6:59pm

:lol:

selma_belma 2011-07-10 7:14pm

I really thought when I started lampworking, that I'd make brightly colored beads. I've got some yellows and oranges that I never use. I bought them thinking I'd probably make cool bumpy beads, and expected to use bright colors in most of my beadmaking. LOL It turned out that I like making organic beads. So yeah, while some of those colors are pretty in rod form, they will never end up in my beads. (unless I'm being forced to make hideous beads for my mom.....)

BoulderGlassMonkey 2011-07-10 7:19pm

Canyon de Chelly. I just never get around to using it.

--Joy

Eileen 2011-07-10 7:24pm

I figure the bright colors I'll use for BOC beads, to brighten up the kids strings, but maybe for myself too, since I don't have enough experience yet to know what I'll like using, but I can see where if you head in a different direction certain colors might just not fit.

Eileen 2011-07-10 7:26pm

Joy I had to look that one up, and on first look I made a face, but then I looked closer & read that it was a silver & struck to a variety of colors, and now I may need some, LOL!

stacied 2011-07-10 7:27pm

Loverboy is a lovely color in rod form but sucks when melted!

Eileen 2011-07-10 7:49pm

I think I almost ordered that one when I bought glass, but had run over my limit so didn't. Maybe I'm glad now;)

glasslass2 2011-07-10 8:01pm

Sepia unique. Just looks like grey bleh!

Elizabeth Beads 2011-07-10 8:04pm

I love Lover Boy! You have to work it like Tongue Pink to strike it and get the pretty pinks and blues! Or just send it to me ... And I'll take that Canyon de Chelly too, yum ... Opalines too ... And Light Turquoise ...

Not so much

;)

Eileen 2011-07-10 8:24pm

"Like Tongue Pink"... I think I have some from the hand pulled shorts, what do you do special with it if you would be so kind as to share?

tammydownunder 2011-07-10 8:24pm

I"m not a huge fan of the alabastards either.

Sheila D. 2011-07-10 8:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tammydownunder (Post 3614485)

:lol:

I thought these were so pretty in rod form when I first started lampwork.I don't think I've touched them since...but I'll take that Canyon de Chelly,I love it! American Beauty..you can have it.

dart13 2011-07-10 8:59pm

Calico

Eileen 2011-07-10 9:03pm

But that one looks like it would be so pretty!

NLC Beads 2011-07-10 9:44pm

Calico. Anything that devitrifies should have a warning in bright red 48 point font.

selma_belma 2011-07-10 9:44pm

Hey, I bought some calico, but haven't used it yet. I was excited try it. Dang...am I going to be disappointed?

selma_belma 2011-07-10 9:45pm

Well phooey! Now I'm not so excited anymore.

MelanieG 2011-07-10 11:33pm

The only colours I have tried so far (out of quite a selection, since I am a hopeless addict) that I have acquired really bad feelings for are Dark Violet, Anise White and Sepia Unique #2.

I really thought I would like Dark Violet because it's a really pretty deep colour, and although I'm not really a purple person, I like the way purples react with other colours. But blech. It develops this really unattractive brown livery disease when I use it.

I wanted to love Anise White because it is so reactive, but it's just so hard to use that I'd really rather sit and make 5" long beads with 1 mm stringer than ever touch it again. It's so shocky that it is almost unusable.

And Sepia #2 was a huge disappointment to me because Sepia #1, the first Sepia unique had gorgeous reactions with silver and I was hoping that the other unique would as well. It doesn't... it's just boring. And boily.

I have love for everything else so far, even colours that I am not normally attracted to. I used to hate Yellows and Cobalts, but I have somehow found some love for yellow. Cobalt I'm still leery of, but maybe it will grow on me too.

neagle 2011-07-11 5:23am

Moss Agate. It looked interesting, but when I tried it, it wouldn't do anything. Just a greyish black.

Honey Crunch, not because it isn't attractive, but it's frit on a stick. And I even love Anice white, which so many people have problems with, but I can use it no problem, but Honey Crunch frustrates the crap out of me.

PerfectDeb 2011-07-11 5:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tammydownunder (Post 3614485)

So I shouldn't throw that shitload I have into your Chrissy pressie?

Dalai lama - I give up, I'm RAOGKing it to someone

Kalypso - I'll persist but it's getting on my nerves

Jazarra 2011-07-11 6:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by PerfectDeb (Post 3615088)
So I shouldn't throw that shitload I have into your Chrissy pressie?

Dalai lama - I give up, I'm RAOGKing it to someone

Kalypso - I'll persist but it's getting on my nerves

You can RAOGK it to me :kiss:

Formed In Fire 2011-07-11 6:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by NLC Beads (Post 3614803)
Calico. Anything that devitrifies should have a warning in bright red 48 point font.

I totally agree!!
It looks so pretty on the web - but it's not.

GlassGalore 2011-07-11 7:07am

CIM Ghee (explodes and does nothing for me when melted), Poi (muck), Effetre Cherry Shake (washes out), Chocolotta Verde (muck)

beadcrazykerri 2011-07-11 7:41am

HEY! Is there a rod exchange in here somewhere? I'd be happy to pass along some I can't seem to manage to use!

Marcy 2011-07-11 7:56am

Oh, I see a rod exchange too. I'm seeing some names I use a lot.