Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Customer Service Kiosk (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Confessions of a Smooth N Tuff Convert (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57247)

danelady 2007-06-14 2:31pm

Confessions of a Smooth N Tuff Convert

OK Y'all. I have been a STAUNCH fan of Bucket O Mud since I first began using it (I am sure MANY of you know that, LOL, but I MUST CONFESS..... :hide:

FOSTER FIRE SMOOTH N TUFF has it beat by a COUNTRY MILE!

I can easily twist off teeny tiny SPACERS from a DRY mandrel, after it's cooled from the kiln - NOT KIDDING. I have had a VERY SMALL bit of flaking in the press, again, beats BOM. Flame dries with NO flaking or spitting and no matter how hard I drag the glass, IT DOESN'T CRACK!

You got me Robin!

LOVE FOSTER FIRE SMOOTH N TUFF! I'm a convert! Born Again Bead Release fan!:grin:
Thank you!!
Lynnie

jonsglassshack 2007-06-14 3:03pm

I told it was GREAT stuff. Gotta try it SOON!

Jon
Quote:

Originally Posted by danelady (Post 1219873)
OK Y'all. I have been a STAUNCH fan of Bucket O Mud since I first began using it (I am sure MANY of you know that, LOL, but I MUST CONFESS..... :hide:

I can easily twist off teeny tiny SPACERS from a DRY mandrel, after it's cooled from the kiln - NOT KIDDING. I have had a VERY SMALL bit of flaking in the press, again, beats BOM. Flame dries with NO flaking or spitting and no matter how hard I drag the glass, IT DOESN'T CRACK!

You got me Robin!

LOVE FOSTER FIRE SMOOTH N TUFF! I'm a convert! Born Again Bead Release fan!:grin:
Thank you!!
Lynnie

Lisa 2007-06-14 5:01pm

oops!

Quote:

I can easily twist off teeny tiny SPACERS from a DRY mandrel, after it's cooled from the kiln - NOT KIDDING.

Today some small spacers almost got away from me because they were sliding off the mandrel before I "broke them loose"! I love this stuff. Lisa

cadia 2007-06-14 5:08pm

As soon as I get these two stubborn beads off their mandrel I'll join you ( I think I watered it down too much) :( "Operator error !"
But other than that it's been working great!

kentaymom 2007-06-26 1:28pm

I just got some and I love it too! It cleans out of the bead holes very easily too.

Carols Glass 2007-06-26 1:37pm

Same here! This is the best bead release I've ever used. I am so glad I have it and as long as it keeps working the way it does, I'll never change bead release again (for boro or soft glass, as I've been doing both lately).
I still use locking pliers to hold the mandrel, but no longer do I need to wrap the bead with anything to get the bead to turn. It's wonderful and I love it!

Cherine Perrin 2007-06-26 2:33pm

I just ordered some and can't wait to try it!! I love Alice's but I am willing to give anything with this many good reviews a try.

fourpawsglass 2007-06-28 11:40am

I too am a total convert! I took beads off the mandrel the other night WITHOUT a pair of plyers gripping the mandrel. Amazing. No more wasted beads when the release would come off during mid melt and no more flaking in presses.

Janet's Glass 2007-06-28 11:45am

I absolutely love mine...I use it on Boro to Bullseye to Moretti to Satake. It holds strong during torching, but my beads slide right off after anealling. The bead holes are much easier to clean as well too!

SadiesJewels 2007-06-29 7:38pm

Ok Ok... Jerri sent me a sample with Alices and Tuff and I'm going to try it tonight. Let you all know what I think on Sunday (my b'day - lol) ... perhaps I'll be a convert too. I've been using Profusion for a long time which is ideal for my work. Hope Tuff/Alices works as well.

Sadie

My Bloody Valentine 2007-06-30 6:49am

I knew this stuff was a good investment. Spare a thought to the Aussie who bought some of this and the regular Foster Fire and spent USD 90 bucks! (most of it was shipping) Best investment EVER!

NLC Beads 2007-07-01 12:44pm

I like it for big holed beads - seems to clean out or hide better. :)

playswithfire104 2007-07-01 4:17pm

This stuff is GREAT! It is the best thing since sliced bread! What was the best thing before sliced bread?

Carols Glass 2007-07-01 6:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by playswithfire104 (Post 1247575)
This stuff is GREAT! It is the best thing since sliced bread! What was the best thing before sliced bread?

Probably the Foster Fire Heavy Duty! (I never got to try that, but heard it was the best!)

danelady 2007-07-02 7:06am

SEX! (but that was just a rumor you understand! LOL)
Quote:

Originally Posted by playswithfire104 (Post 1247575)

Carols Glass 2007-07-02 7:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by danelady (Post 1248981)
SEX! (but that was just a rumor you understand! LOL)

why didn't I think of that?

FosterFire 2007-07-02 7:56am

ummm, between sex and bead release I am still gonna pick sex.

BarbC 2007-07-03 5:48pm

Who needs sex when there is so much glass???? I love the new FFB! Melissa lets me 'borrow' hers!

FosterFire 2007-07-04 5:17am

Just a quick FYI -

don't use soft water to dilute your bead release. ANY bead release notr just fosterfire will have problems with cracking and breaking if diluted with soft water!!

SadiesJewels 2007-07-04 9:05pm

Ahh ... that seems like a little secret I should know? Does distilled water count as soft water? If we live in a soft water area how should we dilute the tuff stuff?

By the way, my sample (thanks Jerri) is awesome and I bought a container of it at Arrow Springs this last weekend. Another convert here I think - they didn't have the super sized container so better get them some Robin because I would have purchased that size if they had it!

FosterFire 2007-07-05 4:27am

Naturally soft water like well water is fine, distilled is fine, bottled drinking water is fine too.

The stuff to avoid is where a water softener system has been installed and uses salts to break down the calclium and magnesium in the water.

Ellen Black 2007-07-08 4:41pm

This bead release is FANTASTIC. I used the Heavy Duty formula before the new one came out.

Cherine Perrin 2007-07-12 9:46am

Just got my beads out of the kiln. Smooth & Tuff is great! Came off so easily - as far as I'm concerned it's the best I've ever used.

-- Cherine

barbaracollins 2007-07-13 3:18am

I guess that I have to start over with some Smooth and Tuff. I used soft water!

Glass Lady 2007-07-13 10:20am

Quote:

You got me Robin!

Thank you!!
Lynnie

OK - this is all new to me but with all the glowing reports it seems like something I want to try. Where do I order it????

squid 2007-07-13 10:31am

You can get it direct here:

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

and a number of glass suppliers carry it - lbsupplys and howaco glass both carry it, I believe.

Glass Lady 2007-07-13 1:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by squid (Post 1270696)
You can get it direct here:

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

and a number of glass suppliers carry it - lbsupplys and howaco glass both carry it, I believe.

Thanks for the information. After I posted the message, I checked with some of my glass suppliers to see if they handled it. Anxious to try it.

FosterFire 2007-07-19 9:19am

Just a quick FYI for those going to the Gathering: there will be mugs for sale that have prizes in them. I have donated 250 of the 2 oz sample size of the NEW Smooth & Tuff.

Just in case you wanted to try it..!

My Bloody Valentine 2007-07-19 5:29pm

Got a quick q, what is the right consistency for smooth and tuff. At the moment mine looks like stiff cream (after it's been whipped with eggs, y'know to form those peaks?) is that too thick?

squid 2007-07-19 6:02pm

yes, that is too thick. Add some bottled or distilled water - small amounts at a time. You may have to pour some out if it is a new bottle (I usually do). You want it to look like cream, but unwhipped cream.