Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tips, Techniques, and Questions (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   How do I make this bead? (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143950)

starlightdesigns 2009-10-28 12:44pm

How do I make this bead?

Hi all,

I've been challenged by a customer to make a similar bead to this:

(Sorry, image removed)

This image is out of a beading book, and I have no idea who the artist is, or I would ask them.

Anyway, my customer wants me to make something similar in light blue and light pink. Any suggestions? It doesn't have to be exact, but I would like to know how the texture is achieved, as well as the shiny-ness. (Although I would guess that was fumed).

Thanks for your help, in advance.

Debby

SuzyQ 2009-10-28 12:47pm

I got a sad face image for that link. I don't think that is what you want to make.

starlightdesigns 2009-10-28 12:48pm

I fixed it.

SuzyQ 2009-10-28 12:50pm

I don't know, but what a cool technique!

tracidawn78 2009-10-28 12:52pm

DH Aurae, shards & stringers?

Flonche 2009-10-28 12:53pm

Can of worms ready to be opened!! Danger-danger-danger!!!:shtf::hide: and the popcorn one that I couldnt' find on the list

chrissij 2009-10-28 12:54pm

You don't think it's just a big bunch of stringers twirled around a base bead half hazardly, and then fumed?

starlightdesigns 2009-10-28 12:54pm

Yesterday I tried some small beads using different techniques and I did use Aurae and it sure got shiny but not in a light blue or a light pink sorta way.

Reenie 2009-10-28 12:54pm

Whatever it is....It's gorgeous! That would be a huge Challenge for me ;-)

starlightdesigns 2009-10-28 12:55pm

I did try the bunch of stringers all over it every which way and although acceptable, it doesn't look a thing like the photo.

starlightdesigns 2009-10-28 12:56pm

Oh, and I tried pixie dust, too, which looks nice, but I thought I would see if anyone had a better suggestion. I've never fumed before.

RSimmons 2009-10-28 12:56pm

It's done with stringers and fumed. You may have trouble with the color combination you're looking for and will need very good ventilation. Word of warning - don't be temped to try iridizing unless you've got the best ventilation system in the known universe.

Robert

tgslampwork 2009-10-28 12:56pm

For the texture: I'd make the base bead in the desired colors and shape it well then carefully (to not lose the shape) but heavilly 'thread' on my final layer in complimentary transparents or even clear (EMS helps here :) ) - then I'd melt in the threads only partially - while still giving enough heat to make sure it's all stuck on there.

Hope that makes sense to others aside from myself. Ha.

chrissij 2009-10-28 12:56pm

I wonder if you could fuse tiny stringers into a mesh of sorts and then apply it to the bead, and then swirl a whole bunch of haphazard stringers on it.

clan tabby 2009-10-28 12:59pm

My 1st thought was - ball of stringer. But it's more netted, kind of like drizzled honey. But then again, I'm a complete newbie so don't know a thang. Just how it looks.

starlightdesigns 2009-10-28 12:59pm

Hi Kim,

That makes really good sense to me and the ems is a good suggestion, I do have one but have never mastered it, but for this, it would work.

The stringers I used yesterday were too thick, so I'm gonna try it with very fine stringer and see what happens.

starlightdesigns 2009-10-28 1:00pm

Will fuming alter the colors I use?

Firebrand Beads 2009-10-28 2:23pm

I think I have seen these before, really old school. The image is smacking my "early 90's" memory card.... I seem to recall the ones I am thinking of were hollow, and possibly boro.

wendbill 2009-10-28 2:36pm

I was thinking they're probably hollow too. You could try a transparent blue, and a clear. If you gold fumed it, the clear would go pink, with a golden shine. The transparent blue should also pick up the shine.

Hope you post your results.

theglasszone 2009-10-28 2:37pm

(Backs slowly away from the thread...but of course, still within "watching" distance): http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...cornsmiley.gif

shawnette 2009-10-28 2:42pm

Threading Iris Gold and striking it will give you a similar effect without fuming. (Preferably K218 )

wendbill 2009-10-28 2:51pm

1 Attachment(s)
Jim Smiricich has good advice on fuming in his DVDs, otherwise try youtube. There are several shorts there on fuming.

For reference, here's an example of the sort of pink you can get from gold fuming. This was clear glass gold fumed.

wendbill 2009-10-28 3:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by theglasszone (Post 2725604)
(Backs slowly away from the thread...but of course, still within "watching" distance): http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...cornsmiley.gif

I would respectfully suggest that this is more of a technique based bead.

playswithfire104 2009-10-28 4:40pm

I have a bead like that. I got it from Ebay a few years ago. I don't remember the artist but it was a fundraiser for 9/11. It is iridised (sp?). I don't believe mine is hollow. I'll try to find out more about it.

Karen Hardy 2009-10-28 5:00pm

Hey! That bead is round!
I copyrighted the round bead, so don't get any funny ideas.

Karen Hardy 2009-10-28 5:03pm

You know what, I'm gonna suggest starting off with a solid core.
Then, roll down some regular 2mm stringer work.

THEN, using the remainder of the stringer, "touch it down"
in places and pull up quickly, forming a VERY thin stringer.
Use the heat from the torch to collapse this "mini stringer" and
gently melt it in a bit. Do this all over the bead. You can also use the
stringer tip to pull down the superskinny stringers and "place" them
on the bead.

And I wouldn't fume it, but I would use a silver reactive glass
that fumes to browns. Maybe Iris gold or something?

LyndaJ 2009-10-28 5:23pm

Technique ^^ as recommended by Karen

Colors
pink base, clear stringer, fumed with gold
blue base and one of the DH glasses that reduces to blue (sorry, no suggestions) Blue luster if you're using bullseye :)

starlightdesigns 2009-10-28 5:30pm

Hmmmm.... all well thought out suggestions.

I do need the light pink and the light blue on the same bead, so mixing glasses probably won't do. I might have to do a few different beads to give the customer a choice. I already told her I can't make it just like the bead in the photo, but I do want to come within reason.

I get the feeling some of you are feeling uncomfortable with my request? I'm not planning to make these beads as part of my general production, it's just a one time thing, and I know darn well I won't come close to the original design. I would have been happy to ask the artist, but there again, I don't know who made it. My customer sent me the photo from a beading book she has.

Thanks,

Debby

firebabies 2009-10-28 5:54pm

Hey Debbie, after you get that one figured out.....lol....will that be included in my next class??

starlightdesigns 2009-10-28 6:29pm

Can I use gold leaf for fuming or does it have to be gold foil?

LOL, Mary, how's it going?