Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tutorials (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Pleated Vessel Tutorial coming soon. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101505)

slcuniques 2008-08-17 4:22pm

Pleated Vessel Tutorial coming soon.

I posted this in the bathroom today after working through all my woe's with this vessel. There were several PM's and posts wanting me to create a tutorial.

Here's a pic of all sides, ( Front, Bottom and top)

I'm working on a Tutorial for Etsy right now. I'll let you know when it's up and ready for purchase. I'm thinking somewhere in the neighborhood of $12.00 for the Tutorial.

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l1...tedvessel2.jpghttp://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l1...tedvessel1.jpg

And here's the top!

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l1...dvesseltop.jpg

Beadbug 2008-08-17 4:57pm

I saw your post in the bathroom and came here right away. I do want to know how you did this. It is so perfect in every way, put me in for a tut.

tradesbears 2008-08-17 5:13pm

oh man....just one more tutorial i must have!!!!

kittyluv4ever 2008-08-17 5:27pm

Sandy I would definitely love a tut on this, especially how the inside of the neck is as polished as the rest of the vessel. Is it boro or soft glass? Also would love to see a tute on your sea horse's as they are lovely.

Rose Leslie 2008-08-17 6:15pm

Yes that would be great.

karrina 2008-08-17 6:31pm

Yet another OMG vessel!!!!

I'm in for the tut. too!

NW-Teri 2008-08-17 6:43pm

your vessel is beautiful - put me in for the tutorial too.

slcuniques 2008-08-17 7:11pm

Thanks y'all ..!! Ill have it up in my Etsy in a week or so. Hopefully sooner.
Donna, It's Boro but you can do this with soft glass too.. I'll tell ya how to keep the neck polished in my tut. Promise.!

tmmopar73 2008-08-17 7:59pm

Hey Sandy It Looks Like An Antique Onionskin Marble.very Cool

PaulaD 2008-08-17 10:18pm

Very Pretty!!

Paula

slcuniques 2008-08-20 7:48am

Here's another Pleated Vessel to share while I'm working on the tutorial.
Just came out of the kiln.

http://img7.uploadhouse.com/fileuplo...dda7af8883.jpg

Tropical Heat 2008-08-20 7:54am

Sandy, I just checked out your Etsy Shop, again, and Wow! I so wish I had spending money!

slcuniques 2008-08-20 9:37am

Ha! Don't I wish too! I see so many beauties I"d love to buy!
Thanks for the compliment sweetie! :)

Beckah 2008-08-20 11:30am

Gorgeous vessels!

Did you decide to do the tutorial in video or PDF form?

slcuniques 2008-08-20 11:41am

Hey Beckah, We've decided to do both. Video DVD and PDF.
Thanks hun!

playingwithfirebeads 2008-08-20 12:10pm

Sandy,

You know I will want especially since it's boro.

Thanks,
Bonny

slcuniques 2008-08-20 12:25pm

The Dark side is calling your name, isn't it Bonny! hehehe.. I'm glad this can be done in all COE's..
I bought a tutorial not too long ago and afterward, I found out it can't be done in Boro and I was so sad. Such a beautiful technique too..
Oh well, My loss ..

Thanks Bonny!

jerrybeads 2008-08-20 12:32pm

Sandy, you're killing me with the vessels!!!!

are yours all out of boro and are you SURE we can make them out of soft glass????

can't wait for the tutorial!!!

slcuniques 2008-08-20 12:40pm

Yes, You CAN make them out of Soft glass. Promise. My daughter made one the other day and it went much faster than with Boro, of course. LOL. She lives in Houston and I didn't think to take a photo.. I can't work soft glass on my Bobcat. I burn the crap out of it.. She was using my HH this past weekend. We were working side by side and I taught her as she went by doing one in Boro. Only difference was, she had more colors to work with so her's was really awesome.. Her Silver plum was the main color and OMG.. I wish I could control soft glass better with my Bobcat. It's me, I just suck at it. LOL. Lots of people have bigger torches and work some really breath taking soft glass. *sigh*! Oh well, I'm a Boro-addict anyway. hehe

slcuniques 2008-08-20 12:41pm

Oh, And here's the one I pulled out of the kiln this afternoon.

http://img8.uploadhouse.com/fileuplo...2b526191ae.jpg

slcuniques 2008-08-20 12:54pm

I have all the format and goodies finished on the DVD and it's ready to recieve the videos.. Im breaking each step in to segments so no one will feel overwhelmed. Especially newer lampworkers. With Boro, It's taking me right at an hour to make each vessel. It should go considerably faster with soft glass.
When Rachel and I were working side by side, She had to wait on me and keep her vessel warm in the flame while I caught up! LOL.
This is a lot of fun making this DVD. I think y'all will enjoy it. We have the filters and lighting and are ready to video this weekend.
Then, comes the PDF.. Randy will be photographing for me and he's good. Much better than I ever will be. We also have the filters for the camera's. There will be two cameras set up that will be shooting raw images at the same time so I will have images from all angles. Both will be tethered to the computer so we can see instantly if it's the shots we want. So be prepared for a numerous amount of photos for all angles.
Woohoo! And we're off! ;)

Beckah 2008-08-20 1:14pm

I didn't realize it was boro! Now I'm really stalking this thread -- I can't wait to try it.

slcuniques 2008-08-20 1:34pm

You know what's cool? I know for a fact when you learn this technique, There will be some friggin AWESOME vessels being posted. There are so many people that can form vessels much better than I can and they know the colors better, so I'm really looking forward to seeing what comes out of it...

ginkgoglass 2008-08-20 5:39pm

I'm excited about this one too! I do fine with the vessel, it's just the handles that are hell.

slcuniques 2008-08-20 5:56pm

Boy do I totally understand your frustration.. I was bumfuggled with those handles... Then we had a demo at Blue Moon in Austin, Texas Given by Tobias which is an LE member. He used a very common tool to make his bails for his turtle pendants and a light went off in my head. As soon as I got home I applied that tool to my vessel handles and voila.. Since then, I've been able to manipulate my handles in any fashion I want. That will be in the tutorial too.

BeadMaven 2008-08-20 6:09pm

Sounds fabulous Sandy!!!
I can't wait to see the tut and the vessels are beauties!!! :D

jerrybeads 2008-08-21 10:03am

Okay Sandy, now you've peeked my curiosity~ your NOT making the vessels on a hollow mandrel??? That's a new one for me or is that a 'boro' way to do it?

pictures look good to me, maybe a tiny bit lighter???

thanks so much for posting!

slcuniques 2008-08-21 10:11am

Umm, You're not supposed to notice that! hehe..
No, It's not a boro way. It's just my way! hehe. I don't use bead release at all. not even on beads.. I figured out a trick.. *snicker*
Yeah, The will be lighter. I'm just using my shop lights for the test photo's.. We have photo fuse boxes for lights but they are big so we're not setting those up until we're ready for the shoot. There will be tons of photo's. I don't know how many yet, but you'll get your fill for sure... and from two angles (each shot) for left and right handed people.
I have dyslexia and I'm left handed so I know how hard it can be for a left handed person to try to unscramble things done by right handed people, so we are setting up two cameras, one for each side.

Beckah 2008-08-21 10:19am

Love the 4th photo -- it should be on the cover:lol:

Is there a way for you to get the backgound to white or at least very light? Pipyr did that somehow and it makes the photos print much better, uses less ink and makes it easy to follow the tutorial steps.

slcuniques 2008-08-21 10:24am

The background will not be there. All you will see is the project. Vessels,Torch, Flame and tools and a little bit of my hands when it's needed (for the PDF). The DVD actual, but my work bench and area will be CLEAN. LOL~ Just want to make sure everyone can see the vessel in the flame. and the tools being used. The background will be pulled on the final photo's.
Yeah, Cover!!! LOL, That would go over really well! hehe