Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Free Tutorials (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   Cabs (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155096)

Keoki 2010-02-23 9:40am

Cabs

Are there any tutorials for making cabochons that can be bezel set?

Robin Passovoy 2010-02-23 10:19am

I don't know. Run a search?
I generally make cabs in the kiln; no punty marks to firepolish off.
It is perfectly possible to make cabs on the torch by winding up a ball of glass on the end of a rod, flattening it on a marver, attatching a punty rod to the flat side, detatching the first punty and melting smooth.
You'll need a tool to grasp the piece while you burn off the second punty, though, and it can be a bit tricky to keep the piece from sticking to the grasper if you want to polish the flat side.

playswithfire104 2010-02-23 12:58pm

I made cabs in my kiln. I just put down that fire paper stuff. Then made little piles of frit and stringers and small pieces of glass. Then I ran a scehedule - not sure if I still have it or not. But you can figure one out by looking at what melting temp is then annealing. Mine came out so small! I didn't know how much glass to use. Next time I'm gonna use more glass.

lonerp 2010-02-24 1:09am

...something like this?

I´ll be happy to tell you how I made these, if you´re interested.

Over the Moon 2010-02-24 1:55am

ooooh - that's cool! I'd love to know how you made that!

ElementalsDesign 2010-02-24 3:22am

Yes Please.. I, too, would love to know how to make something like that.. it's bee-yoo-tee-ful!!!

Rachel the firekat

Barbie Doll 2010-02-24 4:41am

Oh, wow. I tried to pm you to find out how you made that, but I guess you aren't set up to receive pms.

I'd LOVE to know how you made that beautiful cab. It is fabulous!!! Would you mind sharing with me...or with us????

We would be so thrilled!

Thank you for sharing!

beadsoncypress 2010-02-24 5:00am

Also you can take your split beads (who doesn't have some of these?) and lay them iwth the broken side down....take your kiln up to about 1300, peek to see if they are melted enough....and viola.....cabs. (the more symetical they are when you put them in, the nicer they come out, unless you like free form then just make a fun array. Oh, remember to get all the bead release off them BEFORE you put them in the kiln.....easy!

Sarabella 2010-02-24 9:31am

I would like to chime in on getting instructions for making that cab - it is beautiful!

Sals

sislonski 2010-02-24 11:16am

same here, I'd love instruction or would purchase a tutorial

one hot beader 2010-02-24 3:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by beadsoncypress (Post 2906792)
Also you can take your split beads (who doesn't have some of these?) and lay them iwth the broken side down....take your kiln up to about 1300, peek to see if they are melted enough....and viola.....cabs. (the more symetical they are when you put them in, the nicer they come out, unless you like free form then just make a fun array. Oh, remember to get all the bead release off them BEFORE you put them in the kiln.....easy!

These make really nice cabs if the beads were pretty to begin with. (and the broken one's usually are...murphys law)

Some of my beading friends LURVE my broken bead cabs.

lonerp 2010-02-25 1:00am

I´m glad you are enjoying my cabs. I will be only to happy to "whip up" a small tutorial for you. Just give me a day or two:razz:
Glad if I can be able to give something back to this awsome community that have given me so much:-({|=

Keoki 2010-02-25 9:53am

Lone,
Thank you so very much!!!!
Keoki

Afterdark 2010-02-25 11:01am

Prettiest cab I've seen in awhile- looks like you have lots of student wondering 'how was that made' Great job-i would love guidance too-

Starrr 2010-02-25 6:01pm

Very pretty!

lonerp 2010-02-26 10:22am

Okay, I have the tut ready for you now. It´s a pdf file and I´m trying to figure out how to get it available for you to see. Hmm.. I was trying to put it on my website, I just don´t know how!:confused:
I feel pretty silly. I can usually figure things like that out on my own, but this has me pussled. Does anybody know the www.one.com webcomposer and know how to put in a page with a pdf file on it?

lonerp 2010-02-26 11:02am

Here you go; http://www.loneringskaer.dk/Stripedcabs.pdf
Keep in mind that this is my first tutorial and that english is not my mother tongue:razz:
You can experiement with different colours, but not all colours are created equal :rolleyes: ; they really have to be able to hold up to the heat, not bleed and not thin out easily. The ones suggested in the tut are pretty bulletproff for when you first want to try this out.
Please post pics.

Deb Hopeful Journeys 2010-02-26 11:15am

Did you use soft glass or Boro for these.

Great tutorial by the way!

Over the Moon 2010-02-26 11:18am

Very cool - extraordinarily generous of you to share - and your English is superb!! Thanks so much! :love::love::love:

Afterdark 2010-02-26 11:27am

Wow you are awesome for sharing!! that's very impressive. Thank you

lonerp 2010-02-26 11:30am

Thank you.
It is in coe 104.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deb Hopeful Journeys (Post 2910453)
Did you use soft glass or Boro for these.

Great tutorial by the way!

Rose 2010-02-26 12:03pm

Great tutorial and your English is next to perfect!

Karen Hardy 2010-02-26 12:48pm

WONDERFUL TUTORIAL!!!!

Thank you SO much for sharing!!!!

Truewealth 2010-02-26 1:32pm

Beautiful...thank you so much!!!

Keoki 2010-02-26 2:31pm

Lone,
WOW!!! I wasn't expecting such a professional Tutorial. Thank you so very much for your generosity. I can't wait to try it.
Keoki

Kacz 2010-02-26 3:13pm

Thank you so much. very professional, no need to apologize for your English, not many of us could do nearly that well with a foreign language.

Jo

WildatHeart 2010-02-27 12:03am

Thank you, Lone!

Very nice!
:-)
Beth

Nitadee 2010-02-27 12:06am

Oh Lone! Very well written!!!! Pictures are great also!
Thank you for taking the time to do this, they are so pretty!!!
And the possibilities are endless
Hugs
Nita

Tabitha 2010-02-27 12:35am

Is that really your first tutorial? It is brilliant- really clear and easy to understand. It's lovely that you did it for free. Thank you!
p.s. Your English absolutely fine- better than a lot of native speakers. :)

Beadanna 2010-02-27 12:53am

That is a great technique Lone!
You did a wonderful job with the tutorial too. =D>

Thank you so much.