Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tips, Techniques, and Questions (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Preparing to Destash 104 collection from 2004 (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=302744)

Liquidsand 2017-09-23 7:28pm

Preparing to Destash 104 collection from 2004

Hello all,
It has been a long time since I've posted here, and I was more of a Boro room dweller. But I need the wisdom and expertise of the soft glass people for this question. I have just unearthed my box of 104 coe rods, and I'd like to sell it; after all these years I just don't think I'll ever switch back from boro.
I have about 12+ lbs of assorted rods, mostly unlabeled but not all. I recognize a few of them as being "special" colors such as EDP, Dark coral, Copper Green, a shampoo-like opalescent yellow, Rubino Oro, and a bunch of alabasters. Also some very old Double Helix hand pulled rods and 200+ grams of Double Helix frit.
The big question is whether to spend the precious time sorting through these and trying to sell them according to color, getting more possibly for rare, more expensive, or discontinued colors? With boro, some of those old colors are quite valuable. I don't know if that's the case here or not. I wouldn't want to shortchange myself, because I really need the funds - but my time is valuable too.
Anyone care to weigh in on whether it makes sense to unload the glass as a giant assorted lot, vs picking through and trying to identify the colors, and parting them out?
Generally when people destash a larger quantity of glass, unsorted, what kind of price range do they aim for? Is it actually less valuable because it's all mixed together?
Sorry for rambling on. I appreciate any advice about the best most efficient way to do this.

Eileen 2017-09-23 7:43pm

There are two destash pages on Facebook that might help because you can do an auction and let demand help set the price.

rainygrrl 2017-09-23 8:09pm

Great idea, Eileen!

Are the rods grouped by color or randomly mixed together? Is there a way to figure out how much is DH, old special colors, etc? (Is it a high percentage of relatively expensive glass?) Do you know which manufacturers you bought from (e.g., vetrofond, ASK)? Do you know how much you originally paid?

Just brainstorming here...

EmeryLawson 2017-09-23 8:42pm

EDP has been discontinued, and as of so far no replacement, so it is at a premium right now. Just so you know.

Liquidsand 2017-09-23 9:08pm

I was definitely thinking of listing in the destash group(s) on Facebook but I really get nervous doing auctions, especially if I don't have a clear idea of the best price for something. If I did auctions on there, I guess I'd probably do them in 1lb or 2lb groups.
I bought most of this color in 2004-2005 so I don't remember how much I paid. It's a mix of Lauscha, Vetrofond, Double Helix(just a bit) and Moretti. It would take a lot of effort to sort through 12lbs and separate them by color, as well as identify them and research prices. That's basically my question - is it worth the effort? Or would I be throwing away hours of work for a few bucks extra.
Unfortunately I think there are only 2 or 3 rods of EDP. Any other colors I should be aware of that are highly sought after? I couldn't find the shampoo yellow or the Copper Green for sale with a quick google search, so I thought maybe those were also discontinued.

Eileen 2017-09-23 9:33pm

Copper green ( he has it as green copper )
is going for $26 a pound at frantz right now, don't know about the shampoo yellow.

Eileen 2017-09-23 9:35pm

Some of the Vetrofond is sought after, now that they are gone, black and ivory I think among them.

KJohn 2017-09-24 12:37am

I personally think it would be worth your while to sort through, you always make more $$ when you have done that. One big lot isn't going to go for as much.
You can group the colors in 1 lb bundles to sell, however. I have seen that recently from someone who is destashing and that was a really good idea. It helped the more common colors sell, as you can always use more but you otherwise wouldn't be buying it.

echeveria 2017-09-24 5:15am

People are not going to bid high on unknown contents or unspecified poundage. It can’t hurt to put it up with a minimum bid you can live with and see if it sells. If it doesn’t you have your answer. There are only a few colors that get really high prices, and sometimes even they don’t fetch a lot every time.

Lampwork49 2017-09-24 6:07am

I would be interested in all. Please let me know. Give me a price. Thx

Lampwork49 2017-09-24 6:08am

Lol by the way I currently live in Co.

Liquidsand 2017-09-24 6:11am

Okay yeah that helps - thank you! It makes sense; I myself would probably not bid on unknown, unlabeled boro colors unless they were like $10/lb. but I see people bidding on assorted lots like that all the time in boro sales groups, so I guess that had me thinking I could maybe get away with it.
I'll take your advice and break them up as much as possible by color. I like the idea of selecting an assortment of colors that might work well together, KJohn. That's kind of fun - perhaps coming up with fun mix names, like "Butterfly Garden" and "Mountain Meadow".

bshelle 2017-09-24 7:44am

Another option is to list locally on your FB local selling pages or on Craigslist. I have bought out a few people like that. Easy, no shipping. Not sure where you are though.

Phoenixas 2017-09-24 7:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liquidsand (Post 4955704)
I'll take your advice and break them up as much as possible by color. I like the idea of selecting an assortment of colors that might work well together, KJohn. That's kind of fun - perhaps coming up with fun mix names, like "Butterfly Garden" and "Mountain Meadow".

When I had a glass business I did this with low stock items. I had bundles named for seasons. It's a good way to theme lots without having to completely sort

Elizabeth Beads 2017-09-24 11:17am

People like to leverage shipping. I personally don't like to pay to ship one lb. of glass. Maybe split into 3-4 mixed lots. With good photos, they will likely sell for fair market prices.

The shampoo yellow might be Vetrofond pineapple sparkle or Effetre translucent yellow.

MaMay 2017-09-24 2:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liquidsand (Post 4955655)
I recognize a few of them as being "special" colors such as EDP, Dark coral, Copper Green, a shampoo-like opalescent yellow, Rubino Oro, and a bunch of alabasters. Also some very old Double Helix hand pulled rods and 200+ grams of Double Helix frit.

The shampoo-like looking glass could be one of the old Ornela ‘Pearl’ glasses. Today Ornela (a Chech glass brand) glass is available under the name Preciosa Ornela. Some ‘Pearl’ glasses are still available.

Margit

artwhim 2017-09-24 6:46pm

Vetro light ivory and black are sought after. Some odd lots too, but not all. IMO it often depends on whether people remember the glass or if tutorials were written that used it (Vanilla Ice). Some Moretti colors were hand pulled in 2004 that are now machine made. I think the hand pulled should command a better price. Everyday colors really aren't worth more than current asking price. Not sure about the early DH colors. Some were more difficult to work than current colors, so it would depend on what you have.

Liquidsand 2017-09-24 8:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elizabeth Beads (Post 4955752)

The shampoo yellow might be Vetrofond pineapple sparkle or Effetre translucent yellow.

Pineapple Sparkle doesn't ring a bell. Effete Translucent Yellow would be more likely, if that is one that has a pearly quality in the rod and also when worked. I remember it didn't play well with others, but it wasn't an entirely different coe. Just a little touchy. I made gorgeous spacers with it.

Liquidsand 2017-09-24 8:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaMay (Post 4955787)
The shampoo-like looking glass could be one of the old Ornela ‘Pearl’ glasses. Today Ornela (a Chech glass brand) glass is available under the name Preciosa Ornela. Some ‘Pearl’ glasses are still available.

Margit

Ornela doesn't ring a bell either. I can't for the life of me remember where I bought it, but Frantz is a good bet. I'm inclined to think it's Effetre Transluscent Yellow, but I'll do a search and see if I can find confirmation through images.

Liquidsand 2017-09-24 8:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lampwork49 (Post 4955701)
I would be interested in all. Please let me know. Give me a price. Thx

Ok great, thanks for letting me know! I will contact you once I have figured out a more solid idea of price. I have a bit of Coe 96 as well (reduction frits and stringer). Do you have any use for those?

Phoenixas 2017-09-25 10:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liquidsand (Post 4955824)
Ornela doesn't ring a bell either. I can't for the life of me remember where I bought it, but Frantz is a good bet. I'm inclined to think it's Effetre Transluscent Yellow, but I'll do a search and see if I can find confirmation through images.

https://i.ebayimg.com/thumbs/images/...FYb/s-l225.jpg

This is the Trans Yellow from Vetro- is this what it looks like?

Elizabeth Beads 2017-09-25 11:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phoenixas (Post 4955919)
https://i.ebayimg.com/thumbs/images/...FYb/s-l225.jpg

This is the Trans Yellow from Vetro- is this what it looks like?

No. Effetre Translucent Yellow was totally different and had a sheen like shampoo glass.

Phoenixas 2017-09-25 2:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elizabeth Beads (Post 4955944)
No. Effetre Translucent Yellow was totally different and had a sheen like shampoo glass.

I'll have to do some reworking then- this was marked from Franzt with the label in 2007

Liquidsand 2017-09-25 4:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phoenixas (Post 4955990)
I'll have to do some reworking then- this was marked from Franzt with the label in 2007

I found a labeled rod after many hours of sorting and weighing and searching. It's definitely the Translucent Yellow (591409).
I can't find a listing or prices for it anywhere with Google. I'm guessing this would be one of the more highly valued colors?

Phoenixas 2017-09-25 4:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liquidsand (Post 4956005)
I found a labeled rod after many hours of sorting and weighing and searching. It's definitely the Translucent Yellow (591409).
I can't find a listing or prices for it anywhere with Google. I'm guessing this would be one of the more highly valued colors?

Do you have a photo of the glass? Does yours look like mine? I'm wondering if there was a mixup at some point in this glass history (not unheard of). I'm just curious now. It was never a color I used often so I don't have a personal attachment to it. I do have one on ebay right now but with no bids yet so I can't help with value yet.

Phoenixas 2017-09-25 4:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elizabeth Beads (Post 4955944)

This is marked as Vetrofond- maybe they had very different ones?

MagpieGlass 2017-09-25 5:09pm

FYI Elizabeth Johnson Art Glass was looking for that very Translucent Yellow a couple months ago ... she makes the most gorgeously realistic fruit beads.

That particular version is no longer made.

Liquidsand 2017-09-25 6:37pm

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phoenixas (Post 4956009)
Do you have a photo of the glass? Does yours look like mine? I'm wondering if there was a mixup at some point in this glass history (not unheard of). I'm just curious now. It was never a color I used often so I don't have a personal attachment to it. I do have one on ebay right now but with no bids yet so I can't help with value yet.

It's hard to capture the shampooey-ness with my iPhone!

Liquidsand 2017-09-25 6:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MagpieGlass (Post 4956016)
FYI Elizabeth Johnson Art Glass was looking for that very Translucent Yellow a couple months ago ... she makes the most gorgeously realistic fruit beads.

That particular version is no longer made.

Is Elizabeth Johnson on the forum? I'd be happy to contact her if it's something she would go out of her way to find. I love it when stuff like that happens to me out of the blue - someone has a bundle of Clover Chameleon or Warm Yellow (boro).....

Elizabeth Beads 2017-09-25 7:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phoenixas (Post 4956010)
This is marked as Vetrofond- maybe they had very different ones?

Very different.

We just moved and all my glass is in boxes or I'd take a photo comparing them.

The Effetre is desirable but not well known so newer artists don't know what they're missing. I hoard mine ferociously. Lol!