Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tips, Techniques, and Questions (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Poor experience with Devardi (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=267970)

yeepers 2014-07-21 7:48am

Poor experience with Devardi

Just thought I'd post this here in case anyone was wondering what shopping with this vendor is like.

I placed an order recently with Devardi b/c I wanted to try some of their colors that looked interesting. Received rods that are obviously handpulled (not that this is a problem but just so you know the diameters vary greatly). The glass was loosely wrapped in paper and placed in a Priority Mail padded mailer. Needless to say not much made it to me intact. I emailed the vendor directly and am not surprised to say I have not received any sort of response to my complaint.

I had not purchased from this company before and will not be purchasing from them again. Buyer beware!

PennyLane 2014-07-21 9:11am

I too had a recent bad experience with their Customer Service, think his name is Daniel. I'm guessing they're not basing the business on repeat customers.

jaci 2014-07-21 1:15pm

I've never had anything but great service and never a broken piece. It's always been super fast, and every time I've contacted them they are very helpful and fast response.

yessysbeads 2014-07-21 1:21pm

I've had really great service with them as well. Although, I no longer buy the glass, just to shocky for my taste and I don't have the patience to wait for it to melt on a hothead. But I have ordered from them, tools and other Items and always received great service. When I first started Natasha answered my questions over email, she was/is great.

I am sorry your experience was not up to par.

Mina 2014-07-21 1:39pm

I've had great service as well.

KJohn 2014-07-21 3:12pm

I've always had terrific service from them, and a quick response to a complaint. I've never dealt with Daniel, though.

I realize this doesn't help but it is a change from what most have experienced and these are both recent. Hope they get things worked out for you!

28676bhe 2014-07-21 5:11pm

I'm one of the odd ones, I guess. I really like their glass! Yes, it's shocky, but if you preheat it, it behaves fairly well until it cools off again. And their customer service has always been top notch for me, too!

DRoche 2014-07-21 7:10pm

Have you tried calling them? Perhaps they have a problem and aren't aware of it. Good service and questions answered whenever I had one.

Lisi 2014-07-22 12:25am

Great service and I love their colors. I'm getting ready to order more.

accbyruth 2014-07-22 12:46am

I order from them as well and I have never had a problem. I love their black/rose metallic rods. I can use them as a lovely solid black or reduce it to a lovely rose metallic color. The customer service is wonderful.

CheriB 2014-07-22 1:04am

Yee,

Email or call someone else there. Their packing has always been good for me, as has their customer service. Over the last 9 or 10 years, I've occasionally had questionable service from almost every vendor (Howaco excepted!!!) from whom I've purchased glass once, but never twice after contacting them. Glass vendors provide exceptional service 99.9% of the time, including Devardi.

squid 2014-07-22 6:54am

Isn't Daniel one of the owners?

dusty 2014-07-22 6:57am

Natasha's always handled all the emails I've received, and she's been more than helpful. Never had a broken rod in a package, either. Hopefully it's just a fluke and their service isn't going downhill.

lotusbunny2009 2014-07-22 7:50am

beyond poor service, and it is all MY fault--what a jerk!

I ordered a butterfly press to try making butterflies for BOC.

1. The two halves of the press were installed upside-down from what they should have been and wouldn't make a butterfly, so the press was completely un-useable.
2. I was charged $8 for a flat rate Priority ENVELOPE without any additional packaging to protect the item, and it arrived postage due so I had to make a special trip to the post office to get it (I work 8-4:30 M-F) and pay the extra due.
3. The $8 supposedly included insurance from a "third party insurer, not US mail"--there is not such thing as a third party insurer outside of the USPS.

Here is his first reply:

I'm not sure what you mean about the press. I have sold many, many of the butterflies. Everyone loves them. I looked over ours. They look great. Each half is the same, and are facing each other, just like in the picture. But if you'd like to return it, that is fine. If we find it defective, I will pay the return shipping.

Flat rate padded envelopes do not have to be 1/2 inch thick or less. They already are about 1/2 inch when you receive them from the post office empty.
Below I have listed the requirements for this envelope. They misinformed you at the post office. They do that from time to time. In all flat rate packages from the post office "if it fits, it ships." It is first class envelopes that must not have 1/4 variation or exceed 3/4 inches thick, or they must go package rate.
As far as the $8, you forgot about insurance. If the parcel is lost or damaged, we need to be covered. So we add $2. That is explained clearly on our shipping page with links all over our website to the that page.

You sound angry at us in your letter, at least short. Really Karen, there is no need for that tone.

Daniel

Here is the second email from him:

Wouldn't you become irritated if you received an angry letter because a product is defective, and over a $2.80 dispute? There is real person on this end, not just a computer or a company. I don't treat people that way, or companies. Defective products happen everywhere. But is sure tells you a lot about the customer who behaves this way when it happens. Most people just inform us kindly when this happens, and we fix it promptly and courteously.
You chose to be angry and short. I just assume people like that take their business elsewhere. We are much too busy, and have way too many kind, caring customers to put up with that from a select few.

We insure with a third party insurer, not US mail. If you read our shipping page, you'd know this. We always cover defective items 100%, as is also stated on our website. Just return anything defective and we'll refund you, including shipping. We refund shipping only on defective items, as is stated on our shipping page, not on returns for products that are not defective.

There is not a maximum thickness for any padded flat rate envelopes. We ship hundreds of them each week, many times up to 4 inches thick. It is first class that has this restriction only. Anything first class thicker than 3/4 inches can be mailed, but it has to go package rate rather than first class.
That is all. This does not apply to flat rate envelopes. Call the national post office if you'd like. You just don't know what you are talking about, which is usually the case with angry, meanspirited people. They normally get their arguments wrong.

Daniel

I may get crap for posting this, but his responses, insults, and accusations are just plain beyond reason. He sent a defective product and instead of apologizing and offering to fix the situation, he doubts that the press is defective and IF it is after I return it, he will make the determination. The USPS doesn't know their own rules of shipping? And as a dissatisfied customer, I have a tone . . . :wtf: There were a few more emails and it only got worse. My entire order was returned and refunded, and I will never buy from them again. I still have a few things I purchased previously, but have been meaning to sell them--I don't want any reminders of that jerk and his junk. Oops, there's that tone again!!!:lol:

SharonP 2014-07-22 9:19am

What an unmitigated ass, he obviously doesn't give a crap about customer service.

I have some extra money to spend this year and was making a list of Devardi glass/tools to try out, but I've just tossed it and will send all the extra $$$ to Double Helix instead... they know how to treat their customers.

I'm very sorry you've had to put up with this. Even the angriest customer input (and I'm speaking generally, not to anything in your interaction) demands a calm polite rational response from a vendor, and an attempt to make them happy.

"You just don't know what you are talking about, which is usually the case with angry, meanspirited people. They normally get their arguments wrong."

Good Lord Almighty.

PennyLane 2014-07-22 10:09am

Lotus bunny, yeah that's the guy. He went postal (no offense USPS peeps) on me too. I ordered two booklets of gold foil, received two sheets. Let them know in a brief email of the mistake and signed it 'Very disappointed', because I was. That's when his insulting emails started. Realized to not waste my energy anymore with him. Done. I deleted all of my communication with him, because it was so negative and CRAZY. My history with Devardi had always been positive, since they started, even through all the rod warmer problems, Nastasha was Customer Service. A bend-over backwards to please the customer attitude from her.

Rudy 2014-07-23 2:58am

Yikes! Nothing worse than bad customer service! NOTHING! However, given the overwhelming positive experiencesnby other customers, it sounds like this person (Daniel) is the sole problem. If he IS one of the owners, I hope he sees this thread. Just sayinnnnnn

Hayley 2014-07-23 10:54am

No way will I ever purchase anything from Daniel... not since he went crazy on this forum a few years back. Sounds as nothing has changed since...

AKDesigns 2014-07-23 12:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayley (Post 4627480)
No way will I ever purchase anything from Daniel... not since he went crazy on this forum a few years back. Sounds as nothing has changed since...

Exactly.

Pat 2014-07-23 12:31pm

That and the fact the glass is being made by kids with no eye protection or even shoes on a dirt floor. Good grief!

yessysbeads 2014-07-23 2:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pat (Post 4627506)
That and the fact the glass is being made by kids with no eye protection or even shoes on a dirt floor. Good grief!

wow....I didn't know about this. Do you or anyone have any info about this to PM me.

I really like devardi(tools and such) and the customer service Natasha has provided, but I cannot support a company if this is true. I was just getting ready to order new tools too

shawnette 2014-07-23 3:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by yessysbeads (Post 4627578)
wow....I didn't know about this. Do you or anyone have any info about this to PM me.

I really like devardi(tools and such) and the customer service Natasha has provided, but I cannot support a company if this is true. I was just getting ready to order new tools too

That's just speculation based on the glass being made in India where child labor is common. The same argument could be made about glass that's made in China...

yessysbeads 2014-07-23 3:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by shawnette (Post 4627598)
That's just speculation based on the glass being made in India where child labor is common. The same argument could be made about glass that's made in China...

Thanks Shawnette, I did do a search on here and found some threads on this subject that have been helpful. Also came to the conclusion that it is speculation.... at least from what I have read so far.

Pat 2014-07-23 3:45pm

Kalara had a thread where she researched this. It got so hot some very good lamp workers left here. She showed pictures. That's all I remember, but I'm old.

kandice 2014-07-23 4:00pm

I'm not a fan of Devardi - I have had some really bad interactions with Daniel. I recommend steering clear.

Just to be clear, the glass made in China (CiM) is not made in factories with terrible conditions, and the prices reflect that. The owner of that company is based in WA, and she has been very up front about the company and its manufacturing practices. So you can't compare it to the speculations made about Devardi.

shawnette 2014-07-23 4:08pm

CiM isn't the only glass made in China, just like Devardi isn't the only glass in India and Lauscha isn't the only glass made in Germany.

kandice 2014-07-23 4:12pm

Well, it's the only glass that's popular with glass beadmakers that I know of. What other Chinese glass could they been talking about?

shawnette 2014-07-23 4:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by kandice (Post 4627625)
Well, it's the only glass that's popular with glass beadmakers that I know of. What other Chinese glass could they been talking about?

"They" was me and I was speaking in general terms about countries with bad human rights reps that are also known to produce glass.

On that note, not everyone who frequents this board is a beadmaker, nor do all LE members use soft glass.

Hayley 2014-07-23 4:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by shawnette (Post 4627598)

It wasn't all speculation. There was a Bill of Lading - official U.S. document stating the import of Devardi glass from its manufacturer. The pictures of unsafe condition, no eye protection and bare feet, was of the manufacturer's factory. If memory serves, it was of the manufacturer's beadmaking and not glassmaking processes.

The workers looked very young so the "child labor" part was "speculation."

squid 2014-07-23 5:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayley (Post 4627645)
It wasn't all speculation. There was a Bill of Lading - official U.S. document stating the import of Devardi glass from its manufacturer. The pictures of unsafe condition, no eye protection and bare feet, was of the manufacturer's factory. If memory serves, it was of the manufacturer's beadmaking and not glassmaking processes.

The workers looked very young so the "child labor" part was "speculation."

I believe it was their own video and website that showed the conditions.

Flonche 2014-07-23 6:12pm

I have tried some Devardi colors and didn't like the product, but I think it's a little hypocrite to get on high horses about their production conditions when nobody think twice about buying iphones or cheap t-shirts or whatever else is being marketed to us and produced in the same conditions (think of those fires in garment factories in Bangladesh where hundreds died).

squid 2014-07-23 7:19pm

Sounds like the conditions are just icing on the cake. The owner's having such poor customer is what is driving some people away. I mean, really, read that email.

Lisi 2014-07-23 9:59pm

One unhappy customer among dozens of satisfied customers is not going to scare me away. I read the email. I can understand why the customer was pissed off, and I can understand why Daniel was pissed off as well.

As far as the workers in India go, I wish the conditions were better. But just like you and I do, they have to make a living. We buy their glass, they get paid, and they can feed their families.

AKDesigns 2014-07-23 11:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisi (Post 4627729)
One unhappy customer among dozens of satisfied customers is not going to scare me away.

If you actually go back and actually read this thread it's 4 unhappy customers to 10 happy ones so far. That's pretty sucky stats.

Lisi 2014-07-24 5:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AKDesigns (Post 4627744)
If you actually go back and actually read this thread it's 4 unhappy customers to 10 happy ones so far. That's pretty sucky stats.

That's only on here, and you need to realize something about LE. People don't always come forward to get involved in these kinds of discussions. They prefer to stay out of it, and I don't blame them. Now, if you do an anonymous poll on the likes or dislikes or dislikes of Devardi products and their customer service, you will get far more accurate results.

Unless numerous customers have been ripped off totaling hundreds of dollars like with what happened with Jo-Del and Spiral Dance, then openly trashing a vendor sucks. If customers have a problem with a broken tool, broken glass, or whatever else, they need to deal with the vendor and no one else needs to be involved. So they weren't happy, but they did get their money back. Enough said.

lotusbunny2009 2014-07-24 7:36am

Other customer reviews are helpful

If I buy a car, I may check Consumer Reports and customer reviews.

If I buy a camera on Amazon, I may read the customer reviews on the site.

If I buy a lawn mower, I may ask my dad for his opinion from his many years of experience with small engines.

I prefer to be an informed consumer. :wave:

istandalone24/7 2014-07-24 9:26am

why isn't it as simple of taking a pic of the wrongly made press, and sending it with an email. if it's made wrong, a pic of the bad tool compared to a pic or the real thing/confirmed proper press.....easy peasy.

my take on devardi? decent cheap tools (the grabbers are great) and very poor glass for the most part. but i've never had an issue with any of it, so i can't opine on the customer service end of it.

greghumphrey 2014-07-24 5:00pm

When I started lampworking I got some of their glass because of the neat colors and the very low prices. My oh my was it shocky, but with preheating and some practice on my part it was very usable. Some lampworkers do lovely work with it. I wouldn't say it was a glass for a beginner lampworker to use or someone who's work flow didn't include preheating the glass but I certainly feel I got good value for my money. The tools aren't finely finished but they have been serviceable and affordable. The stuff I had a problem with Natasha immediately corrected. Customer service seemed very good to me. Mark me as 11th satisfied customer.

AKDesigns 2014-07-24 5:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisi (Post 4627799)
That's only on here, and you need to realize something about LE. People don't always come forward to get involved in these kinds of discussions. They prefer to stay out of it, and I don't blame them.

You're right. It goes both ways. People don't like to start a thread saying they had a bad experience because a dozen or so people have to chime in and say "I've never had a problem with ____" which almost makes the OP feel like those people are trying to invalidate their issue. It's great that many people haven't had a problem but it doesn't erase the fact that others have had a problem.

yessysbeads 2014-07-24 5:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AKDesigns (Post 4628155)
You're right. It goes both ways. People don't like to start a thread saying they had a bad experience because a dozen or so people have to chime in and say "I've never had a problem with ____" which almost makes the OP feel like those people are trying to invalidate their issue. It's great that many people haven't had a problem but it doesn't erase the fact that others have had a problem.

I think you make a valid point. Sometimes we don't realize how we may come off. I speak for myself here and the fact that I did post positively about them on this thread.

I was not aware that people may feel like by posting that I had good transactions with a company, they may feel invalidated in their issue, but can certainly see that could be the case. No way was I trying to do that. Just stating I've had good service with them and to show sympathy for their situation.

I think every company has clients that vouch for them and like/love their service and also clients who have experience bad service, as every company must have good and bad clients. I don't think anyone should try to invalidate someone's opinion based on their experience. (not that am saying anyone has)

I stand by the fact that I believe their service is great(I've only corresponded with Natasha, so that is what I base it on), but I do hope those who recently had issues with them get a resolution.

AKDesigns 2014-07-24 5:36pm

I'm not trying to make anyone feel bad Jenny. I know I've probably done it myself many times too. Just trying to point out the other side of it. But honestly, I've had a couple of issues in the past that I didn't post about for that very reason. I knew I get a bunch of "well I've never had a problem" and I'd be annoyed. :lol:

yessysbeads 2014-07-24 5:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AKDesigns (Post 4628176)
I'm not trying to make anyone feel bad Jenny. I know I've probably done it myself many times too. Just trying to point out the other side of it. But honestly, I've had a couple of issues in the past that I didn't post about for that very reason. I knew I get a bunch of "well I've never had a problem" and I'd be annoyed. :lol:

LOL I can see that.

I didn't mean that you made me feel bad or anyone else for that matter(although that I do not know since I can't speak for everyone else)

I just meant your post gave me a new perspective of how the OP on these types of threads may feel.

In short, it opened my eyes lol

Ravenesque 2014-07-28 12:55am

I've not had a problem other than the way they ship things, I'm surprised more don't complain about broken things. I don't recall ever getting a padded envelope, just the regular priority ones with some bits of newspaper tossed in.

Oh wait, and the marble mold that smelled so strongly of gasoline it made the room smell so bad that I tossed it even after airing it out for a day. They told me to wash it :razz:

But some things I will buy, the hot fingers and some other tools. I can see both sides.

jaci 2014-07-28 11:11am

So sorry that everyone has had issues. I've never delt with anyone but Natasha. I would have never thought that anyone else in the company could act so differently! Wow... Guess I got lucky.

queenofsheba52 2014-07-28 11:39am

Yee, I'm sorry you got broken glass from Devardi.

I use some of their colors because I like them enough to put up with the shockiness. The last time I ordered Devardi glass was spring 2014. At that time I noticed that their website said standard shipping was the way you (and I) received it: wrapped in one sheet of newspaper and in a non-padded envelope. Most of my glass was broken too. When I placed my order, I noticed that I could upgrade my shipping to a padded envelope for an additional fee; I chose to risk it and it was a dumb decision. Next time I order glass from Devardi, I will pay to upgrade my shipping.

I am sad about the tone of the emails that LE peeps received from Daniel. I have always dealt with Natasha and she is great.

I didn't know about Daniel's previous posts on LE. I'll have to do a search...

--Helene

squid 2014-07-28 11:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by queenofsheba52 (Post 4629686)
Yee, I'm sorry you got broken glass from Devardi.

I use some of their colors because I like them enough to put up with the shockiness. The last time I ordered Devardi glass was spring 2014. At that time I noticed that their website said standard shipping was the way you (and I) received it: wrapped in one sheet of newspaper and in a non-padded envelope. Most of my glass was broken too. When I placed my order, I noticed that I could upgrade my shipping to a padded envelope for an additional fee; I chose to risk it and it was a dumb decision. Next time I order glass from Devardi, I will pay to upgrade my shipping.

I am sad about the tone of the emails that LE peeps received from Daniel. I have always dealt with Natasha and she is great.

I didn't know about Daniel's previous posts on LE. I'll have to do a search...

--Helene

Daniel had a pretty dramatic meltdown on LE and went back and deleted most if not all of his nasty posts, just fyi for when you search.

And really? one sheet of newspaper in a non-padded envelope is standard for GLASS?? That is ridiculous.

Lisi 2014-07-28 12:59pm

Oh wow...I wasn't aware that he shipped without using boxes for glass! I always got mine in boxes, and one time I ordered and he sent it in a box with tools, and the glass was inside a hard cardboard tube for protection.

Glass should never be shipped in envelopes. Not ever, unless it's inside a strong cardboard tube or a piece of PVC pipe.

Flonche 2014-07-28 1:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisi (Post 4629754)
Oh wow...I wasn't aware that he shipped without using boxes for glass! I always got mine in boxes, and one time I ordered and he sent it in a box with tools, and the glass was inside a hard cardboard tube for protection.

Glass should never be shipped in envelopes. Not ever, unless it's inside a strong cardboard tube or a piece of PVC pipe.

Yes, I'm surprised they haven't been called out by their shipping service, whoever they use. It's really idiotic and it's putting the whole business at risk.

KJohn 2014-07-28 1:30pm

I've only gotten glass in tubes in a box too, but I usually order a few things. I'm amazed that a vendor would do that. I think that if any of this happened to me, I would want to cry.

Silver Moon Lampwork 2014-07-28 7:41pm

Something is becoming very clear in this thread. A little non-adversarial exchange of information can be a good thing. Unfortunately, a fight usually erupts first. Glad to see this going in a better direction.