Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tips, Techniques, and Questions (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Devardi Glass Technical Input and Experiences (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121271)

PaulaP 2010-06-21 11:01am

Bethany thank you. For being my first time to try them I was pretty pleased with them. My sons & SIL grabbed these up I had to move fast to get one put aside for my brother who I was originally tying to make them for....lol

blong2001 2010-06-21 11:31am

Did you just drill them out to put the wire in?

PaulaP 2010-06-21 11:48am

Bethany my SIL reloads his casings and has a little press that he uses that just pops them out. I then twist the wire a couple of times the endings automatically make a V-shape I then mash the V-shape together place thru the hole and release they will spring back to the V-shape and it seems to be snug enough to hold.

monarae 2010-06-21 2:19pm

Finally, some pictures from me

Well, it took me long enough!

These rounds and lentils are made with the new pink luster, and Val Cox Frit.

The large pink focal is made with the cranberry over moretti white, the dichro frit, DH Luna, Trey Cornette murini, and DH Aether clear. The big focal got stuck on the mandrel and the encasing cracked trying to get it off, so it's mine!

I tried the dichro frit differently this time. I put it on tinfoil and on top of the coffee warmer. It helped it to stick on the melted glass a little better, but it still faded on the first layer of the bead, so I added more as a last layer, just enough heat to make it stick, and left it raised. Still fades more than I wanted but there is a little sparkle and I like the raised texture. I'm probably going to put the unmelted frit in a hollow so I can appreaciate all its beauty, though.

I made a suite of jewelry. The luster really sparkles in daylight.

Fine Folly Glassworks 2010-06-21 2:58pm

Gosh Monarae, really beautiful work! Please post more when you get things done. Very inspiring!

PaulaP 2010-06-21 3:40pm

Monarae gorgeous set love the large pink focal. Thank you for sharing your tip

blong2001 2010-06-21 4:33pm

Monarae-Beautiful work! Thanks for sharing.

blong2001 2010-06-22 5:28am

Too cute! He is ready for dinner!

marilyn h 2010-06-22 5:59am

It has been so fun to see the works that are posted in this site. Yes. Devardi can be produced into glamorous works. It all depends on the artist.

marilyn

monarae 2010-06-22 11:09am

Thanks for the compliments everyone!

blong2001 2010-06-23 11:39am

Kristina-what happened to your post of your kitty getting ready to eat?

Fine Folly Glassworks 2010-06-23 1:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by blong2001 (Post 3089752)
Kristina-what happened to your post of your kitty getting ready to eat?

I know it sounds silly, but I got embarrassed at how goofy it is compared to Monarae's elegant work! I didn't want it next to it :doubt: when she was showing such lovely and time consuming work...

But here is it back again, since I did post it! Silly me :-?

"Kitty with a Spoon"

blong2001 2010-06-23 1:27pm

You can not be embarrassed about your work! It is great!

Fine Folly Glassworks 2010-06-23 2:39pm

Thank you Bethany, that's so sweet of you. We are a good group here.

monarae 2010-06-23 2:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fine Folly Glassworks (Post 3089917)
I know it sounds silly, but I got embarrassed at how goofy it is compared to Monarae's elegant work! I didn't want it next to it :doubt: when she was showing such lovely and time consuming work...

But here is it back again, since I did post it! Silly me :-?

TOTALLY SILLY! The two cannot compare! Do you know how hard it is to make a spoon that small look like a spoon...and a metal one at that?!

PaulaP 2010-06-23 3:13pm

Kristina your work is unique it is your design you imangined it and then created it. How awesome is that.

SilverRiverJewelry 2010-06-23 4:31pm

Kristina that is silly! Your work is lovely also, just different!

SilverRiverJewelry 2010-06-23 4:32pm

And the pink beads are awesome too by the way. Sorry, its been a hectic day today!

Fine Folly Glassworks 2010-06-23 4:52pm

SORRY! Me so silly! Hug yous for me! ;):love: You all are such sweethearts!

monarae 2010-06-24 9:47am

Thanks Sonja.

Fine Folly Glassworks 2010-06-24 12:33pm

Group Project

Hey Everybody,

Some people on the Thread "Newbies, Intermediates & Not Ready For Prime Time" are planning to take up acollection of beads and send them as a group to the program for seriously ill children called Beads of Courage.

It's a program that collects beads and the kids get to choose and make a string of them as they go through all their treatments. Here is a note from a fellow who makes special requests for the program - like when a child wants a frog or something:

"I have sent several special request (beads in). I know I went through a lot with my brain surgery in April, but I just can't imagine going through what these kids go through at such a young age.

I'm all for us making some things as a group to send to Beads of Courage (BOC). Maybe we could see if there is anything special we all could do/make up. I made a piggie for a kid named Dylan as a special request. I sent it in and he got it, I got the thank yous and then a week later, he passed away. I really cried. Then his parents sent a letter thanking everyone and saying how much they meant to him, and that they had all of them in a jar as a reminder of him. It's really heart wrenching, yet so rewarding at the same time. Sorry to ramble, but I really like the program."

SO are any of you interested in contributing some beads? Here's the link to their website and you can see that they take any type of bead that isn't a danger to little fingers, and doesn't have a coating that can wear off.

PM me if you would like to send me some beads to mail in with the group!

http://www.beadsofcourage.org/

Fine Folly Glassworks 2010-06-24 6:22pm

Here are some hearts I made up tonight in our glass for the Beads of Courage project. They say they give red and purple hearts to kids when they survive cancer or heart problems, so I used those colors for most of them.

blong2001 2010-06-25 4:06am

Kristina I think this is a wonderful idea!

Fine Folly Glassworks 2010-06-25 4:26am

It is a precious program. Can you imagine what's going on behind it? Such kindness and compassion for suffering children and their parents...

These pics of kids are on their program banner. They gave away over 41,000 beads last year to critically ill children. Let's make a bunch of colorful or fun beads - or just clean out our orphan-bead bowls to send!

They give each child a string with beads that spell their name, and then they let them pick beads each time they have a procedure or something to face in their treatment program.

I will be mailing a group shipment from our two threads on August 15, so you have that long to send me beads to include. I will take a picture of our group's bead donation before I send them for us to enjoy!

Kristina Floyd
1426 Venning Road
Mount Pleasant, SC 29464

What do you say folks? Got any beads for hurting little ones?

sansan239s 2010-06-25 11:05am

Awwww Kristina ~ very nice hearts. I'll have to whip up some for the cause..

blong2001 2010-06-25 11:06am

I get to torch for the next 3 nights and will make some too!

Fine Folly Glassworks 2010-06-25 12:34pm

Hey Everyone, someone recently asked about help on making critter beads, so I have worked up a brief tutorial on making Critter beads and posted it under Tutorials. Here is the link:
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...59#post3093559

I thought some of us might enjoy making some up for the kids along with our regular beads! Please let me know if you have specific questions on steps or things I left out! I will make up each bead and post pics as I get them done. The Tutorial will cover critters from Kitties to Hippos!

.•:*จจ*:•.

sansan239s 2010-06-25 5:09pm

Too cute Kristina!

Rareripes 2010-06-25 5:39pm

Hi Kristina...you are awesome! I'm sure I can make good enough beads to send off to you.Since I am healing and have this titanium 6 inch bar in my arm and wrist,I am more steady at the torch than before although I have just started torching in just the past couple days, I can already see a difference than before my surgery 4 weeks ago.I had a very rough time and a couple major setbacks(mini stroke and hip infection where they took bone out)but looks like that is passed and I am more optimistic now.
Hugs all around,everyone!♥

Fine Folly Glassworks 2010-06-25 6:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rareripes (Post 3094110)
Hi Kristina...you are awesome! I'm sure I can make good enough beads to send off to you.Since I am healing and have this titanium 6 inch bar in my arm and wrist,I am more steady at the torch than before although I have just started torching in just the past couple days, I can already see a difference than before my surgery 4 weeks ago.I had a very rough time and a couple major setbacks(mini stroke and hip infection where they took bone out)but looks like that is passed and I am more optimistic now.
Hugs all around,everyone!♥

Gosh Diana, you've been through so much. I hope you can get enjoyment from your torch work now. You have sure earned it!

Hugs!