Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sale Rack (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   104 Glass at $1.00 per pound...WOW!!! at Frantz Art Glass (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=267591)

mikefrantz 2014-07-10 11:54am

104 Glass at $1.00 per pound...WOW!!! at Frantz Art Glass

Each day at Frantz Art Glass we take 22 pound bundles of Effetre (mostly) and Vetrofond and cut them on a diamond saw into 13 inch lengths for our customers.

During this process lots of rods get broken, some may be 4 inches and up to 10 inches and they are tossed into a 50 gallon container.

Well, we have almost 3 containers full of scrap glass (sometimes wet) but always dirty with frit on them and we need to remove this glass and make room for more.

Presently I have no desire to wash and pack this glass. When we do we just put the 10-13" lengths into a bundle and sell it for about $4.00 per pound in our retail store in Shelton. But there is no time for us to do this and if you come to our store at Frantz Art Glass we will sell you a full 50 gallon container full of colorful glass, for only a buck a pound.

Yes there will be common colors and handpulled colors, it is a plethora of glass.

If you would like to come and pick through the glass, well, the price would go up, we just want to sell it all or by the barrel.

Satisfaction is a promise!

This is a great deal for somebody looking for lots of glass at a tiny price.

Any takers? Please let me know with a PM on LE or email me at
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and I will make your glass dreams come true.

MIke Frantz

glassygal 2014-07-10 12:41pm

50 gallon drums of glass.................

...Where are you located???

Sadie Mae 2014-07-10 1:36pm

Mike--I know I would take a 30 pound pile of dirty glass!! Any way to get a medium or large flat rate box full? I'll send you some of my famous Rosemary Shortbread.....!!!

tilegoddess 2014-07-10 3:57pm

I'd be interested in the same amount, especially if it could be packed/shipped in a flat-rate USPS box :)

MonkeyDog 2014-07-10 6:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tilegoddess (Post 4622210)
I'd be interested in the same amount, especially if it could be packed/shipped in a flat-rate USPS box :)

Ditto!

Mina 2014-07-10 6:46pm

I am also interested!!

Mina 2014-07-10 6:50pm

Hey Mike, I PM'd you

Michele R. 2014-07-10 8:14pm

Ok Mike, here's what you do.... [-o<

Line up a bunch of large flat rate boxes (the 12" x 12" x 5-1/2" size) and dump all that dirty, dirty glass in them until they're packed full. Then slap a mailing label on them and mail them all out to your wonderful customers who have requested one - like me! :waving:

Costs you about $16 per box shipping - so charge a flat $20 shipping fee (to include your time of throwing it all together). If I lived closer, I'd volunteer to help you do it!

Brilliant! :lol:

glass butterfly 2014-07-10 10:36pm

Since I live in Virginia, I can't come and buy the glass from you in person, but would be happy to buy a 30lb box of that unwashed glass if you could just send dump it into a flat rate box and charge the $20 flat rate for the postage and your labor just as Michelle mentioned. I'm sure lots of folks who are not close to your warehouse would love that and it would make us regular customers very very happy. Lydia

yessysbeads 2014-07-11 12:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by glass butterfly (Post 4622392)
Since I live in Virginia, I can't come and buy the glass from you in person, but would be happy to buy a 30lb box of that unwashed glass if you could just send dump it into a flat rate box and charge the $20 flat rate for the postage and your labor just as Michelle mentioned. I'm sure lots of folks who are not close to your warehouse would love that and it would make us regular customers very very happy. Lydia

Ditto, I live in northern California so cant pick up

chevygirl70 2014-07-11 9:28pm

OMG - I'm a totally jealous green eyed beeeeeeatch right now of all your northwesterners... I'm in Tucson. Crap. Buy some for me everybody!!!! (Frantz is the shizzle dizzle - I love their stuff.)

I alerted my friend in Olympia, WA of this deal-io tho, cuz I'm a great friend...

Mina 2014-07-11 9:44pm

Is the location in Shelton the retail store? Is that where the glass would be picked up?

Larksong72 2014-07-12 12:47pm

I live in North Carolina and would be glad to get a huge box of glass as well. Would pay shipping etc.

Michele R. 2014-07-12 1:55pm

Sounds like the start of a potential bulk buy! Anyone live close enough willing to take that on? They would have to promise to be fair and not pick through it first... O:)

You could even charge $1.50/lb. to cover your labor & expenses. Don't know how many pounds a large flat rate box holds, but if it's 20lbs, charge $30 + $20 shipping. For $50, we could each get 20lbs of glass, and you'd make $10 for each box! If it can hold 30lbs, it'd be $65 per box and $15 for the kind soul who did this...

Just a though (scheme?) :-\"

KJohn 2014-07-12 2:58pm

if someone goes through the trouble of doing that, they should get more than .50 per lb they handle. They have to put up money upfront for this, transport, unpack and repack, print out labels and ship...just saying. Hope you guys can work something out.

Michele R. 2014-07-12 4:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by KJohn (Post 4622995)
if someone goes through the trouble of doing that, they should get more than .50 per lb they handle. They have to put up money upfront for this, transport, unpack and repack, print out labels and ship...just saying. Hope you guys can work something out.

I'm good with that too - just throwing the idea out there. If someone decides they want to do it, they'd have to set whatever price makes it worth it to them. I guess I just work cheap - :-k. I'd love to do it if I were closer - but I love to organize stuff, so I'm afraid I'd want to sort it out so everyone got the same mix. When I was making jewelry I'd buy bead assortments just to sort them out... Ya, I'm a little twisted like that...:hide:

It may not even be relevant - someone may have already driven there and bought it all...[-(

Glasstastic Treasures 2014-07-12 6:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevygirl70 (Post 4622767)
OMG - I'm a totally jealous green eyed beeeeeeatch right now of all your northwesterners... I'm in Tucson. Crap. Buy some for me everybody!!!! (Frantz is the shizzle dizzle - I love their stuff.)

I alerted my friend in Olympia, WA of this deal-io tho, cuz I'm a great friend...

I'm a little green-eyed beeeeatch too!! lol

Mina 2014-07-12 10:26pm

Are they in Shelton or where would it have to be picked up?

Mickip15 2014-07-13 3:43am

I am willing also to go in on by. I don't mind paying shipping

Micki

Michele R. 2014-07-13 5:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mina (Post 4623117)
Are they in Shelton or where would it have to be picked up?

Norma - this is their address:
Frantz Art Glass
130 West Corporate Road
Shelton WA 98584 USA

I'm guessing they would be cutting glass fairly close to where they sell it. But I've been wrong before...:-\"

phishstuff 2014-07-13 6:07am

I am following this thread to see what comes. I would love to be able to take advantage of such a deal, but sadly also can't stop by the store.

Kris 2014-07-13 7:21am

How much does one of those 50 gallon containers weigh?

Sadie Mae 2014-07-13 6:00pm

Hello Mr. Mikey??
Where are you??
You got us all hot and bothered......
Remember we are a lot of irrational people who drool on ourselves when we just HEAR the word glass..........
Sorry I started this, but damn--you have a pile of "wanters and buyers"now!!!

carolinesbeads 2014-07-13 7:32pm

Stalking this thread

mikefrantz 2014-07-14 3:12pm

3 barrels of FUN

We have three barrels, we should have the 90 pound trash can sold this week. We still have two trash cans, one weighs 240 and the other weighs 280 pounds.

So we have a $240 and $280 barrel. So just hang on and in a week or two I will see if I can make a "Mike's Scrap USPS Assortment". In the meantime we are getting 4 new Messy Colors.

MIke

crystalflipz 2014-07-15 7:56pm

I'm in West Virginia and between work and school, there is no way I could get out to Washington, or I'd be there in a heartbeat! I'd be interested in a bulk buy/flat rate box packed full of dirty glass.

glasshouse 2014-07-16 3:08am

If you can put a trash can on a small pallet I'll arrange the freight pick up. ;) I'll try to call you tomorrow.

:) Kelly

mikefrantz 2014-07-17 11:22am

buck a pound, nothing ground

Finally after finding enough interest in a few customers buying the scrap I decided to see what was towards the bottom of the trash can. As I washed the glass, the frit fell further down the trash can, and then a tree frog came out and we had to transplant him away from the glass.

I found out that washing the glass will remove the frit, but does nothing for the film that needs to be cleaned off of each rod (which I am not doing), but I am going through the cans sorting out the frit and tiny pieces.

I also realized that packing so much glass into even a larger Effetre box needs to have some organization. And that I can put about 10-12 pounds into a smaller box and fill up a larger Effetre box.

Once I have all my boxes filled and fill the larger trash can orders, anything left will be offered by the 10 pound box, but if that does not happen this time, I have a new system to rescue broken glass and offer it at cheap prices.

Mike

Sadie Mae 2014-07-17 1:23pm

Yahoooooooie!! Sign me up for 2 please, pretty please, with sugar frit on top???!!!! Thanks Mike!

glass butterfly 2014-07-17 2:36pm

Wow! Do we sign up now? :-) I'd like 2 of those 10 lbs boxes. Thanks. Lydia