Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Free Tutorials (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   Hearts with twisted loops - photo tutorial the way I do it (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47874)

fyrsmith 2007-02-27 11:42pm

Hearts with twisted loops - photo tutorial the way I do it

Hearts photo tutorial for the way I do them, with twisted loops. I didn't realize how many steps there are until I did this tut. If there is anything that is missing or unclear, PM me and I'll answer and/or fix the tut. -Don-

bead crazy 2007-02-28 12:12am

Love it!!!!!
I have never seen anything like that press thing you have what is that? (sorry Newbie here)

fyrsmith 2007-02-28 12:52am

Hi Lori,
I love making my own tools and this is one of them. It is a press (see 11th pic) made of stainless steel pipe sawn up and welded. There are two sizes of the top part, for different thicknesses. Handles are wooden coat hanger pegs, welding was done by Zora in her H.S. welding class. Pipe diameter was about 2", any fairly shallow cylindrical press from those like Cattwalk who make presses would work.

-Don-

suzanne 2007-02-28 1:02am

Don, you and Zora did an absolute fabulous job! Can't wait to try this one!

Labrador 2007-02-28 5:21am

Very nice tutorial, just love your hearts =D>

Thanks for taking time to share

Sophie:smile:

Bunyip 2007-02-28 5:42am

Great tutorial! Thanks for taking the time to put this together!

Byrdbeads 2007-02-28 6:08am

Thanks for the tutorial! That is about how I was making them but never would have thought of a FORKED punty LOL Will make it lots easier now LOL Also love the tools too. I got oa bicone marver from you a while ago and love it. Didnt use it much at first but now use it every day (since I figured out how to use it LOL) Anyway, Thanks!!

Robyn

Karen Hardy 2007-02-28 8:15am

Wow. I gave it 5 stars just for the "forked punty" alone \\:D/ !
What a great tute - well done!!!!

truegem 2007-02-28 8:25am

Can it work with soft glass?

-Patti

ginko 2007-02-28 8:28am

The forked punty is way cool. Thanks for the tut!

Toni L. 2007-02-28 8:36am

Fantastic! Thanks for sharing this with us :D

Crazy Woman 2007-02-28 10:33am

Thank you, thank you! I've always admired your hearts.... Definitely a 5 Star tutorial!

lripster 2007-02-28 11:11am

Awesome tutorial!! Thanks!

mtarara 2007-02-28 2:24pm

Great tutorial, you make it look so easy!!! I love your beautiful work!!
Mary T.

Blueflameart 2007-02-28 3:22pm

Thank you Don. Great tutorial. Very nice of you to share it with us. My sister has some of those kind up on Ebay. Wonder if she learned them from you? Thanks again!

playswithfire104 2007-02-28 3:55pm

Thanks so much! I'm gonna give it a go very soon!

pipojasper 2007-02-28 4:04pm

Wow! You just opened my eyes to a whole new way to play with glass! Thanks :)

Sharon Abood 2007-02-28 5:04pm

Thank you Don! This is a great tut! I love the tools and the punty!

Himalayan Fanatic 2007-02-28 5:41pm

Hi Don, Fantastic TUT! Is the toothed rake a clipper blade? Thanks!

Pam

SadiesJewels 2007-02-28 6:04pm

This is great! So clear and it looks so simple - which I am sure is a false impression!

Sadie

fcfmountain 2007-02-28 6:25pm

Very enlightning,your basic practical nature serves you well. But I didn't know anyone actually lived on Kodiak Island. Visited as a sprout and rode around with my parents friends in a surplus WW2 landing craft. I kept asking if there was a machine gun on board after seeing the size of the bear tracks all over the beach. You've got a great hobby to keep warm and make some side money too. TIM

Over the Moon 2007-02-28 7:22pm

Great tutorial - love that forked punti...thanks! :love:

Heather/Ericaceae 2007-02-28 9:34pm

Gorgeous pictures and such an unusual process! Definitely food for thought. Thank you so much for sharing. Very very cool!!! Oh - and is that a plane blade you're raking with??

fyrsmith 2007-03-01 1:31am

Thank you all for the compliments :) Its nice to be appreciated.

truegem: I haven't worked with soft glass, but I don't think this technique would work very well. So much of my work and boro in general depends on how stiff it is and being able to heat one side while the other is cool enough to hold its shape. I would love to know how it goes if anyone wants to try.

blueflameart:
what is your sisters name on ebay, I would love to see them.

Himalayan fanatic: Close, it is actually from a beard trimmer. Using it makes all the lines move down in parallel, which gives a different look than using a pick. I think that the last heart (blue/yellow) in my post in the Gallery may have been first raked with the comb then pulled further with a pick.

mtarara: Not to blow my own horn, much :) , but it just seems easy. The most important thing to pay attention to and to learn for this to work is "heat base" and "heat gradation" thorough the piece. Having the heat level change from one end to the other is what makes the glass stretch in a pleasing curve toward the tip. And of course you can't see the gradation in pictures.

-Don-

StLouisBiker 2007-03-01 7:34am

Don, you're so generous to share your technique. So far I haven't been fortunate enough to win any of your eBay auctions but continue to try. Thank you.

Starrr 2007-03-01 9:51pm

Don, this was the most informative and easy to understand tutorial I have ever seen. I love your handmade tools, and now know what to do with all the used dog grooming clipper blades I have, and the forked punty, genius!

Thank you for sharing.

Edie

Simply Us 2007-03-02 4:00am

Wonderful! Love the forked punty. I'll be trying this this weekend with soft glass. I really think I can make it work.
Sandra

krixbeeble 2007-03-02 7:52am

cool, thanks!

wow! what a great post. thanks! nice visuals for me haha. :-D

FlameDancer 2007-03-02 8:03am

Hey Don....fantastic tutorial! Thanks SO much for sharing this with us. I love the twistie look of your hearts. Mine are just a concoction of anything I have sitting on my table. Yours is so precise.

The loop is pretty much the same way I do mine. I love the way they hang from a silver chain.

Simply Us 2007-03-05 4:07am

Don I made about 10 this weekend with soft glass. By the last ones they were starting to look decent. I got a little creative to do it but basically following your instruction it is possible to do in soft glass. I'll try and get a photo later.
Sandra