Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tips, Techniques, and Questions (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Drew Fritts book. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196098)

emoon 2011-05-22 5:24pm

Drew Fritts book.

I was sort of thinking about parting with some books, and so I ws researching prices. Drew sells his book on his website for about $30. But, Amazon lists used copies at $129.00!! One for $200! It's a book filled with tons of information, but what is up with that price??

DesertDreamer 2011-05-22 5:43pm

There are some crazy sellers out there, that's all I can say. I have several books on my used wishlist on Amazon, and just shake my head sometimes. I can't reason out why many of them are priced the way they are, especially those not OOP.

emoon 2011-05-22 5:52pm

I ran into this with some quilting books once. wowser!! Could be good for Drew though!

DesertDreamer 2011-05-22 10:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by emoon (Post 3545367)
I ran into this with some quilting books once. wowser!! Could be good for Drew though!

Sadly, it doesn't work that way. Once the book is sold, others can milk the price, and Drew won't see an extra dime. :(

Personally, I think everyone who has ever considered mixing colors needs to buy this book simply for the appendices. That's why I bought the book when it first came out. Making marbles was entirely secondary. :D

emoon 2011-05-23 4:52am

I was that if the demand was high enough, Drew could raise his own prices. Then the trend could be good for him, as well!

dichromary 2011-05-23 10:32am

It is one of my favorite reference books. I don't make marbles either but the techniques and information are applicable to bead making.

JEK3 2011-05-23 6:22pm

I love this book. It's laid out more like a technical reference than an art book (like most others). No pretty pictures (except on the cover), but lots of good line drawings/diagrams.

PittsGlass 2011-05-23 6:43pm

Best soft glass book on the market in my opninon. Very well done.

j2canoe 2011-05-26 11:48am

Super Wonderful Book!!!! Worth it's weight in gold for sure!!! :)

saboo 2011-05-26 7:48pm

Best book to get for setting up a glass studio, torches, ventilation, tools it's all in there.
Still $29.95 + shipping on Drew's web site.
I do not have any connection to Drew other than I know he is a
very kind and dedicated person and a great author.
One of the top soft glass marble makers in the U.S.

Sabrina

Yvon 2011-05-27 1:54pm

Just as everyone else says: It is a really great reference book - everything from safety, setting up studio, selecting equipment (pros and cons), and even how to make some tools. Plus lots of information on Effetre glass and boro - recipes, problem solving, etc.

If you have a question about something glass related, the answer just might be in the book. There is so much information in the book!

The instructions for the marbles can readily be adapted to beads.

Yvonne

obsessionwoman 2011-05-30 4:40pm

Would someone please give me a link so that I can buy this book.......Lenora

LarryC 2011-05-30 5:15pm

Milon Townsend's book is the same strange situation....It is available on his website for <$50 but Amazon has some for $250+. Go figure.....

PattyK 2011-05-30 5:28pm

Lenora - you can order it here: http://frittsartglass.com/marbles/bo...lume1/TOC.html

It's an excellent book!

squid 2011-05-30 5:36pm

I ordered this earlier this week - I took a class last weekend and it was recommended as being an excellent color mixing reference.

ArtcoInc 2011-05-31 8:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by LarryC (Post 3556478)
Milon Townsend's book is the same strange situation....It is available on his website for <$50 but Amazon has some for $250+. Go figure.....

Milon's book, "Advanced Flameworking", *is* out of print. Milon has the last available 'new' copies. It *is* a great book, BTW.

Malcolm