Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Free Tutorials (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   Horizontal Heart - Video (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=262265)

shawnette 2014-03-19 10:40am

Horizontal Heart - Video

I shot this impromptu video a couple of days ago because someone asked for tips on making heart beads.

Heart beads are super easy and super quick. This is a quick video on how I make my hearts. I prefer horizontal holes because it makes stringing them easier. I hate wiring beads. :\ HATE IT!!

1. Make a good sized bead, kinda fat. Make sure the ends are good.
2. Roll the bead lightly on a marver to flatten it and then heat the middle.
3. Using a straight edge tool, (like a butter knife or razor blade) roll the bead along the edge, like you're cutting it in half . That's your crease.
4. Heat the bottom center pretty hot and roll the mandrel back & forth quickly to form the tail. (watch the video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eR9Ng1n37Z0

This is the heart made in the video:
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-k...315_113350.jpg

cherie 2014-03-19 10:48am

I have never seen a heart made that way...you did a good job :)

Hearts are my very favorite to make...I'm gonna try you technique.

queenofsheba52 2014-03-19 11:40am

Thank you, Shawnette, for that great video. I have had trouble with hearts in the past and I am eager to try your technique.

You rock!
--Helene

KJJames 2014-03-19 1:10pm

Thanks Shawnette!

Bretta 2014-03-19 2:38pm

Your last words..."super simple"....this is so much less complicated than the way I have been making horizontal hearts! Thanks once again for sharing your knowledge with us. Great video!

Bretta

KJohn 2014-03-19 5:47pm

Thanks so much, that is a great time saver :)

Amanda23 2014-03-19 6:47pm

Awesome, thank you!!!

ROC 2014-03-19 6:59pm

Beautiful heart! Thanks for sharing this!

shawnette 2014-03-19 7:32pm

B
Quote:

Originally Posted by cherie (Post 4554774)
I have never seen a heart made that way...you did a good job :)

Hearts are my very favorite to make...I'm gonna try you technique.

Really? This is pretty much the only way I make hearts. I can make verticals but I don't like them very much. In my opinion, the wiring detracts from the heart.

Here are a few more:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/20/buqy3e8y.jpg

CheriB 2014-03-19 8:11pm

Wow, thank you for the tips Shawnette! :idea:

I used a much more complicated and way less successful method which always made them lopsided by concentrating on the conical shaping and then adding more glass on each side for the lobes. This is definitely on my to-do list for the next torch session.
Cheryl

Michele R. 2014-03-19 9:29pm

Hadn't tried hearts before. Most of the tips for doing them made it look like more work than it was worth. Plus I'm not big on heart-shaped stuff...

Your tutorial inspired me to finally try one. Ok - so I made five! My only piece of advice for those trying this method for the first time is to make sure when you're spinning the mandrel to get the point, that you don't try to do it really hard and fast. And if you do, make sure that the potential hot flinging glass is aiming away from your face. Red hot glass heading towards you at a high rate of speed makes you do it a little less vigorous the next time!

BTW - no injuries here - just a wake-up call to take it easy...

I'll post pics tomorrow if they are worthy of this great forum!

shawnette 2014-03-19 9:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michele R. (Post 4555378)
Hadn't tried hearts before. Most of the tips for doing them made it look like more work than it was worth. Plus I'm not big on heart-shaped stuff...

Your tutorial inspired me to finally try one. Ok - so I made five! My only piece of advice for those trying this method for the first time is to make sure when you're spinning the mandrel to get the point, that you don't try to do it really hard and fast. And if you do, make sure that the potential hot flinging glass is aiming away from your face. Red hot glass heading towards you at a high rate of speed makes you do it a little less vigorous the next time!

BTW - no injuries here - just a wake-up call to take it easy...

I'll post pics tomorrow if they are worthy of this great forum!

Definitely post them! We want to see!

dla 2014-03-20 7:02am

Thanks so much for posting that Shawnette ! What a great way to make hearts. :love:

kathleen milligan 2014-03-20 7:40am

Those are pretty cute, too. I like that each one has its own shape/personality.

Pat 2014-03-20 8:42am

You are the Bees Knees, Shawnette. :)

Michele R. 2014-03-20 4:31pm

First ever attempt at hearts!

No fancy camera - just a cell phone pic

These are ones I made last night using Shawnette's technique. Super easy and fun to do! Some of them turned out a little top heavy - I'll know better next time to even them out a little.

Thanks for sharing with us!

Otter's Flame 2014-03-21 1:15am

Shawnette taught me how to make hearts like this in 2006!!!! I can't believe it was that long ago. She makes it look so easy because she is such a good teacher. Thank you Shawnette for all your patience back then.

Otter

myrdlebp 2014-03-21 2:40pm

Great tutorial!

And Mr. Otter, I love your new avatar! Shhhhh :-$ I had to snap it up! :D

glvz 2014-03-27 6:06pm

Thanks, Shawnette! Great video and technique.

Georgia

shawnette 2014-03-27 6:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michele R. (Post 4555975)
No fancy camera - just a cell phone pic

These are ones I made last night using Shawnette's technique. Super easy and fun to do! Some of them turned out a little top heavy - I'll know better next time to even them out a little.

Thanks for sharing with us!

Those are awesome!! I especially like the purple one!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otter's Flame (Post 4556306)
Shawnette taught me how to make hearts like this in 2006!!!! I can't believe it was that long ago. She makes it look so easy because she is such a good teacher. Thank you Shawnette for all your patience back then.

Otter

Wow! 8 years??!! Time flies! I'm always happy to pass on useful information. :)