Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Dark Room (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Daylight Bulbs? (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117154)

naom-s 2009-01-03 7:24am

Daylight Bulbs?

Hi everyone,
Are those good for lighting the tent box?
500 Watt Daylight Photoflood Studio Blue Light Bulb

Thanks,
Naomi

lilacwind 2009-01-03 9:08am

Those are the bulbs I just started using. I also have 2-150's along with them. I finally have enough light.
Mimi Huszer Fagnant
www.lilacwindartglass.etsy.com

Mike Jordan 2009-01-03 5:54pm

Most of the medium to high wattage photofloods last about 3 to 5 hours of use These are the BCA type (and some of the other Bxx bulbs). There are some that are rated for 20 or so hours. These are the ECA type. The ECT type are rated at about 60 hours. These are 3200K and not the 5200K to 5500K natural light bulbs. There might be, but I don't know if they have any that are rated for more than 5 hours. That doesn't mean you won't get more than that, but that is what they are rated at.

For bulbs above 250 watt and especially the 500 watt bulbs, make sure your socket and reflector are rated for high wattage bulbs. These bulbs produce a LOT of heat and you will start a fire with them if you aren't careful. Also make sure that they won't tip over and are out of reach of kids and even adults. Don't inclose them in anything either or the heat build up will kill the bulbs at the minimum and worse case, go into spontanious combustion. If you manage to get pictures of the fire, don't let your insurance company see what caused it. ;)

Mike

Paul Ewing 2009-01-03 6:00pm

I want to second Mike's post. I have used 3200K bulbs and the 5200K blue bulbs for the last 10 years or so. They get extremely hot very quickly and can leave a nasty burn if you touch them or the lamp.

You can find photo stands rated for the 250 and 500 watt bulbs, but they can be pricey. A cheaper alternative is to look at smaller hardware and feed stores for brooder lamps. These are made for high temperature heat lamps and have porcelain sockets instead of plastic. Be sure to still check the wattage because I have seen some that are only rated up to 300 watts.

Cheers,

Tanner Studios 2009-01-03 6:33pm

3 to 5 WoW and WoW! invest in strobes.
Scott

Kevan 2009-01-03 6:59pm

Invest in windows!! Let the light in!

Mike Jordan 2009-01-04 5:52pm

Scott, yea, tell me about it. I cut my photo teeth on photofloods way back when. :D Although if you are careful about how you handle them, you can get a lot more hours than the rated amount. Even with the benifit of strobes though, there is a lot of benifit to shooting with photofloods. And with the ease of correcting color balance with digital, photofloods are so much easier to use than it use to be. Although with the better higher ISO of digital, using cool lights is a whole lot easier too.

Mike

naom-s 2009-01-06 1:43pm

OK,
Thanks friends,
I thing I'll stuck with our great sunny days....
Too confused...
Naomi