Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boro Room (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   do you use flashback arrestors? (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=239276)

nwmud 2013-01-30 3:17pm

do you use flashback arrestors?

do you use flashback arrestors?
I just got my Nortal mega minor
picked up two oxygen tanks
almost ready to burn a little something

I am looking at moving towards small borosilicate

so just wondering - if I need this before i light up.
I know comon sense says - "yes".

so what do you do??

Rough_necked 2013-01-30 3:38pm

I do on gas not on my concentrators

istandalone24/7 2013-01-30 3:41pm

you'll need them for your propane, and if you are going to run tanked oxy then you'll need one for oxy as well.

Raimond 2013-01-30 4:22pm

Agree, use them on both when using tanked Oxy...

Eileen 2013-01-30 5:14pm

When I went to buy one, (propane) they sold me "check valves" which they said were cheaper but did the same thing.
Of course maybe they are the same thing & they were just having fun with me.

beakillion 2013-01-30 6:34pm

When I got my Nortel minor torch and regulators, I was told I just needed the arrestors on the propane not the oxygen tank. Now, I'm confused. Do you really need it on the oxygen tank?

mnoelker 2013-01-30 6:54pm

There is a thread here somewhere that you should read about someone who actually had a flashback while torching. Let me see if I can find it...

mnoelker 2013-01-30 6:57pm

Here it is.

http://lampworketc.com/forums/showth...ight=flashback

Rough_necked 2013-01-30 7:21pm

I have had one happen on an ox/acetylene torch before. Not fun. The gas line cracked after a Hilo ran over it. Talk about a mad dash to the gas valve. Lesson: don't use torched in an active parking lot.

Hangs Well 2013-01-30 7:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eileen (Post 4228487)
When I went to buy one, (propane) they sold me "check valves" which they said were cheaper but did the same thing.
Of course maybe they are the same thing & they were just having fun with me.

Wrong! Flashback arrestors will stop a backflow of gasses and they will also stop the much more serious flashback ( flame actually travelling back with the gasses). The check valves will only stop a backflow of gasses. If choosing between them, I'd go with flashback arrestors at the torch.

Moth 2013-01-30 7:31pm

yes on propane, no on oxy because I use a concentrator

Eileen 2013-01-30 8:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hangs Well (Post 4228633)
Wrong! Flashback arrestors will stop a backflow of gasses and they will also stop the much more serious flashback ( flame actually travelling back with the gasses). The check valves will only stop a backflow of gasses. If choosing between them, I'd go with flashback arrestors at the torch.

Thank you Dave, I'll see about finding the flashback, don't want any flame heading back to the propane tank! (I'm on an oxycon)

Sue in Maine 2013-01-30 8:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moth (Post 4228647)
yes on propane, no on oxy because I use a concentrator

Same for me.

Sue

Baywinger 2013-01-30 9:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hangs Well (Post 4228633)

flashback arrestors are attached at the regulator in case of a hose fire, if they are at the torch and your hose catches fire your tank can still explode.
use an flashback arrestors for both propane and oxy when using tanks.

Hangs Well 2013-01-30 11:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baywinger (Post 4228748)
flashback arrestors are attached at the regulator in case of a hose fire, if they are at the torch and your hose catches fire your tank can still explode.
use an flashback arrestors for both propane and oxy when using tanks.

Flashbacks usually occur from a drop in fuel pressure and start at the torch, not from a fire melting your hoses. This is more of an issue for standard welding or premix torches. If you have your flashback arrestors at the regulator you could loose a lot of hose. Here is a link form Victor welding torches. The suggestion is to use flashbacks at the torch.

http://victortechnologies.com/IM_Upl...roducts%20.pdf

Elizabeth Beads 2013-01-31 9:27am

I use them both on my tanked propane and on my Regalia. I figured better safe than sorry.

nwmud 2013-01-31 9:49am

OK - I will get some flashback arrestors
BUT
at the torch?
or
at the regulator?

which is preferred????

I think at the torch, but then you have so much more length of arrestor and tubing in front of you, does anyone find that to be in the way while working??

at the regulator means no blowing up if the hose would ever catch fire - but you may end up needing a hose more often.

Thoughts???

Moth 2013-01-31 11:11am

I've got mine at the regulator where my quick-connect fitting is. I don't care about losing 8 feet of t-hose. I care about the tank blowing up. LOL

Hangs Well 2013-01-31 12:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by nwmud (Post 4229005)
OK - I will get some flashback arrestors
BUT
at the torch?
or
at the regulator?

which is preferred????

I think at the torch, but then you have so much more length of arrestor and tubing in front of you, does anyone find that to be in the way while working??

at the regulator means no blowing up if the hose would ever catch fire - but you may end up needing a hose more often.

Thoughts???

It is really your choice. If you read the link I posted above from Victor Technologies (they make welding equipment) they recommend the torch end.

istandalone24/7 2013-01-31 1:10pm

i didn't think it was possible to run a FBA with an oxycon?

nwmud 2013-01-31 4:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by istandalone24/7 (Post 4229183)
i didn't think it was possible to run a FBA with an oxycon?

what is an FBA??

Dragonharper 2013-01-31 4:31pm

FBA=Flash Back Arrestor

Baywinger 2013-01-31 9:20pm

I took commercial welding classes and was taught at the regulator

Baywinger 2013-01-31 9:26pm

of course I have flashback arrestors at my regulators and qd's with check valves at my torch :-)

Hangs Well 2013-01-31 11:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baywinger (Post 4229683)
I took commercial welding classes and was taught at the regulator

And I was taught torch. I think your regulator and check valve at torch is also an excelent setup. What we do agree on is that you SHOULD use flashback arrestors. :)

Baywinger 2013-02-01 1:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hangs Well (Post 4229766)
And I was taught torch. I think your regulator and check valve at torch is also an excelent setup. What we do agree on is that you SHOULD use flashback arrestors. :)

that we do :-) one must avoid turning your studio into a fire bomb!
this is similar to the discussion on which to turn off first oxy or fuel lol

Alaska 2013-02-01 10:54pm

On the oxygen concentrator no.

On the high pressure side of the natural gas line, yes.

untamedrose 2013-02-02 10:33am

Why dont folks on the concentrators? Know it wont Blow but i cant imagine fire getting to them would be good....

Dragonharper 2013-02-02 10:41am

The issue is when a tank goes empty, the flame on a premix torch, can go right down into the torch and then the pressure, from the non empty tank, can push the flame front back the hose and into the empty tank.

nwmud 2013-02-08 5:23pm

well I ordered flashback arrestors today. I got the regulator style. I figure a fire is unlikely and the main reason for these are to save your life. so - if they are ever needed - I figure I can replace the hose.
I got these from Ebay - buy me now price, under $20 with shipping :mrgreen: