Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Torch Questions (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   New Mega Minor torch? (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65899)

Torcha 2007-09-10 9:15pm

New Mega Minor torch?

Who can tell me more about the new Mega Minor torch by Nortel? The ad says the new design features slightly larger ports... and not much more.

Thanks.

Alana

kismet 2007-09-14 6:01am

I want to know as well. I'm looking for a new torch to run with one Oxy con. I feel I just need a little more heat than the minor. Please do tell if you have used this torch.:biggrin:

SadiesJewels 2007-09-14 12:12pm

I thought it had more ports? It's supposed to be inbetween the minor and mid-range I think. I've not used one though.

Sadie

BrakerBeads 2007-09-17 7:35am

I would like to know also. I am buying one this month...I need a replacement for my bobcat. I have worked on a minor, so I hope this is like that but a bit hotter.

NancyB

Willabeast 2007-09-24 11:59am

I don't know from personal experience but I did find this: http://dragonjools.blogspot.com/search?q=mega+minor

bclogan 2007-09-25 6:32am

Wow. Interesting review. I'm just beginning the process of looking for a slightly bigger torch to work boro. This looks like a good alternative. I'm currently on a Minor and Piranha and just not quite happy enough. Of course, I'm also impatient...!

Dia-T 2007-09-25 7:03am

If that is the red one they had at the Gathering, it gets much hotter then the minor does. I played with some boro on it and it melted like it was coe104. I was so not ready for that that I almost lost control of it.
Dia

bclogan 2007-09-25 9:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dia-T (Post 1398978)
If that is the red one they had at the Gathering, it gets much hotter then the minor does. I played with some boro on it and it melted like it was coe104. I was so not ready for that that I almost lost control of it.
Dia

Were they running it on O2 tanks, or an oxycon?

Dia-T 2007-09-25 1:31pm

I believe it was tanks for that area of the floor.
Dia

kbinkster 2007-09-25 2:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bclogan (Post 1399156)
Were they running it on O2 tanks, or an oxycon?

I believe it was on tanks, too. I'm going to call Jean to find out the oxygen requirements/consumption rates. I would like to know how it would run on concentrators.:wave: I'll let you all know what I find out.

squid 2007-09-25 5:21pm

That's great, Kimberly. I am thiiisssss close to buying one!

Venessa 2007-09-25 7:54pm

I'd like to know more as well...any one know how it does with soft glass-I switch back and forth between 104 and boro.

bclogan 2007-09-28 6:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbinkster (Post 1399698)
I'm going to call Jean to find out the oxygen requirements/consumption rates. I would like to know how it would run on concentrators.:wave: I'll let you all know what I find out.

Hey Kim.... Any updates on the oxygen requirements of this torch?

MaryBeth 2007-09-28 11:20am

Does anyone know if this will work well on natural gas at household pressure?
I do have 1/2 lb PSI and it works well with my minor. I also have two concentrators.

The mega-minor appears to be a great next step for me. Did Nortel publish any specs for this anywhere? Has anyone called them and asked? I think I might do that if I can't find out this information anywhere else.

bclogan 2007-09-28 11:44am

I emailed them this morning, but haven't heard back yet. I wouldn't be able to call until after work, and then they probably won't be there either....

kbinkster 2007-09-28 12:36pm

I just got off the phone with Peter at Nortel. He told me that he does not have any figures for the oxygen consumption, but he does for the fuel consumption. He recommended going with a 5:1 ratio for propane and a 2:1 ration for NG to approximate the oxygen consumtion (so, for every unit of propane used, guess 5 units for oxygen). He said that he would fax me the fuel consumption rates this weekend.

He also said that it will run on a single 5 LPM concentrator, particularly if you are in a low presure situation like using natural gas, but will run much better one two 5 LPM machines, like when using propane.

MaryBeth 2007-09-28 4:07pm

Thanks for the information, Kimberly! It looks like I should seriously be considering this torch:cool:

tiggybubba 2007-09-29 9:36pm

Ok who is carrying this torch and do we have a suggested price on it. I am looking for something a bit hotter than my bobcat and am waffling between this and a lynx. I know how much a lynx is but dont know about this torch.

Dia-T 2007-09-29 10:24pm

Arrow springs had one on display at the gathering, I think they said it was going to run $250.

tiggybubba 2007-09-29 10:29pm

thanks

bclogan 2007-10-01 5:37am

Arrowsprings has an introductory special on them which, I think, ends today. $199 with free shipping.

Glasstastic Treasures 2007-10-01 4:48pm

my hubby's not working right now. I was going to buy the new nortel at the end of september :(

But I've never worked on anything but a hothead, and my store doesn't have them set up either. I'd like to have someone show me, because I have no idea what I'm doing. Anyone in the Superior Wisconin area?

joebirder 2007-10-02 2:18pm

I ordered one the other day from Arrow springs. I'm going to take it apart and mount it on top of my Redmax in place of the minor....
I can't wait..... \\:D/

tiggybubba 2007-10-03 4:16pm

I'm going to play on one tomorrow. Trying to decide between this and the Lynx. Considering this is 1/2 the price of the lynx.
Leslie

bclogan 2007-10-04 7:48am

I'll be anxious to hear what you think of it. I'm seriously considering it...

Wendyki 2007-10-04 9:03pm

when I asked arrow springs today they said this would not run well on concentrators

but that they also hadnt had it hooked up so I will be interested in knowing more also :)

tiggybubba 2007-10-05 11:39am

Well I tried it on tanked oxy but with the pressure and flow turned down to simulate oxycons. But not really a true test. Was it as good as I expected? No. However, I think that may be due to the hype and buildup in my own mind. It does seem easier to turn it right up and keep a neutral flame than the bobcat. I really didnt get to play that much (only melted the end of a 10mm boro rod)

At 1/2 the price of a lynx, I am still considering it. Cant get it in canada yet (ironic because it is manufactured in canada) so have some time to mull it over.

Leslie

Lorraine Chandler 2007-10-05 12:59pm

I pre-ordered mine from Arrow Springs...should ship out today!!

YIPPEE!!\\:D/\\:D/\\:D/\\:D/

They said 30 of them had sold so far....wonder who all of the buyers are?

I was number 21 on the pre-order list so quite a few people think this is going to be a great little torch. We shall see......

Hugs
Lorraine

joebirder 2007-10-05 7:23pm

I got shipping confirmation today on mine from Arrow Springs... I just paid for it Monday and it's on the way today... WoooHooo!!!!!
Can't wait.. Good luck to everyone who has ordered one...
Joe

wildwire 2007-10-05 7:48pm

hi,
Actually you can get it in Canada - at www.artistryinglass.on.ca and I am sure if you call Jean at Nortel you can get it from her too.....

Shauna