Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tips, Techniques, and Questions (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   CIM what is your favorite messy glass & why (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119595)

bclampwork 2009-01-22 12:39pm

CIM what is your favorite messy glass & why

We just started using some messy. I saw the tutorial on hades with silver foil & thought it was beautiful.
What Messy glass do you use -- any tips or photos?
Bette

rifie 2009-01-22 12:47pm

I love CIM Hades coz it makes silvered and reactive glass sing.

Here's the pendant i've made recently with it.

base bead is hades, make a blob about an inch in diameter
stripe it with stringer of terranova2 (double helix), lavender fields, rake it with iris orange raku 104.. melt in the stripes

press to form a lollipop... then i've painted half of the bead with extra silver vangogh (precision 104)

i've used scissors to cut the middle of the bead to form the tail :)

I love cim sangre... it is the perfect red for hearts... just on its own

Hayley 2009-01-22 12:52pm

There are MANY CIM glasses that I love.

Here are two:

Sangre, etched

Ghee with Aura

MelanieG 2009-01-22 1:04pm

I really love Leaky Pen, Dirty Martini and Canyon De Chelly.

Leaky Pen is a dense, dense dark steel blue transparent. There's nothing else quite like it :)

Dirty Martini is a very pale green, but it behaves more like a sulfur colour than a copper colour because it fumes with silver and it reacts gently with other greens and blues. I really think this one is my favourite.

Canyon De Chelly is just magical. It is a beautiful tan, and the more you work it, the more it turns purple. It has dark line reactions with greens and blues and it makes me really happy. Maybe this one is my favourite...

It's so hard to choose!

Hayley 2009-01-22 1:09pm

I like Canyon de Chelley too! But the old batch of Leaky Pen I have boils too much to my liking! And it's VERY stiff!

Lorraine Chandler 2009-01-22 1:19pm

They are all neat, ( as a testor for Kathy I can say that) but I have a real fondness for her colors that are very changeable such as Ghee.

Just look at the Ghee beads made by several artists..Mine is there too. It was a test bead but I guess Kathy liked the colors so it made it to the webpage..LOL

It goes from a beautiful pastel yellow to the most gorgeous dark brown sugar, with all sorts of caramel colors in between!! LOVE this color.

http://www.creationismessy.com/Product/Color/Ghee.aspx

Lorraine

ajmets 2009-01-22 1:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by kandice (Post 2340243)
My favorite is CiM Leaky Pen - and I also love the Pink Champagne. I have posted a bunch of CiM tests and info on my blog - http://coloraddictionblog.blogspot.com/

I can't find that anywhere. Can you kind of point me to where on your page. I'd be very interested in seeing that.

Kevan 2009-01-22 1:29pm

I'm loving the marshmallow.

villa design 2009-01-22 1:38pm

Leaky Pen, Lapis, Thai Orchid, Crocus, Ginger... I have too many. LOL...

Base of Lapis

From L to R base of Kryponite, Crocus, Lapis

MerryFool 2009-01-22 1:42pm

Mmmmn, I'm SO looking forward to playing with CiM colours and discovering which one is my favourite!

What the folks have done with Ghee here is fabulous. I think it might be a good glass to use for a "faux amber" effect.
Looks incredible with the Aura, Hayley! Niiiiiice beads ((*makes gimme hands*))

Troll Lover 2009-01-22 1:50pm

I'd say Hades and Crocus. I just love that semi-translucent color! The left one is Crocus:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3178/...g?v=1228243964

crystalflipz 2009-01-22 2:34pm

Hades is my hands down fav! It simply rocks with silver! Here are a couple of mine

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c8...smicWinds1.jpg

This one is heavily silvered shards of Vetro Coral over a Hades base, reduced
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c8...ralshards1.jpg

Kym 2009-01-22 3:11pm

I love that Crocus..... and my old fave. is Celadon. Oh the Cranberry Dark Unique!

Kym

LAJ 2009-01-22 3:18pm

OMG! Hayley! I just love this pendant! How did you get the gold foil to not burn off? Is that side encased possibly?
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayley (Post 2340242)
Sangre, etched

Ghee with Aura

Hayley 2009-01-22 3:32pm

Thank you, Lea! It's electroformed in copper - I didn't patina this one coz it turned out so smooth!

artwhim 2009-01-22 3:38pm

I haven't found one yet that I don't like! My favorites though are Peace White and Hades. Hands down, IMO, the best white and black on the market. Peace white stays true to color even in small dots. I was having trouble with white thinning out in my dot beads and Peace solved that problem. Peace is also firmer than other 104 whites so it can be used as a base without the problems of color sinking into it.

It's always fun to get beautiful new colors, but basics that can be consistently relied upon from batch to batch make me very happy.

Listenup 2009-01-22 3:46pm

I have to pick just one? Couldn't. The only ones I haven't yet tried (latest 5) are racing their way to my door as I type. I haven't tried one I didn't care for.

Tesorobeads 2009-01-22 3:54pm

CIM is my favorite soft glass to use. To me it has the best red.

Sangre

Lapis blue with celadon frit

Creamiscle with silver

Debbie

Kym 2009-01-22 4:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by artwhim (Post 2340653)
I haven't found one yet that I don't like! My favorites though are Peace White and Hades. Hands down, IMO, the best white and black on the market. Peace white stays true to color even in small dots. I was having trouble with white thinning out in my dot beads and Peace solved that problem. Peace is also firmer than other 104 whites so it can be used as a base without the problems of color sinking into it.

It's always fun to get beautiful new colors, but basics that can be consistently relied upon from batch to batch make me very happy.

I haven't tried Peace....I must have thought it was just another white..
I will have to try it. Would be good for murrini?

Kym

Kym 2009-01-22 4:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Troll Lover (Post 2340382)
I'd say Hades and Crocus. I just love that semi-translucent color! The left one is Crocus:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3178/...g?v=1228243964

They're absolutely gorgeous! Wow!

Hayley 2009-01-22 4:42pm

Kathy - is Peace like Enamel White without being shocky? I must try some!

Aja 2009-01-22 5:01pm

My fave right now is Ghee- I like to fume it and see what effects I can produce. The consistency is nice, too. They're the three middle beads.

Sangre is up there among my favorites. I have a bunch to try, I'm sure there will be more I fall in love with :lol:

aja

Elizabeth Beads 2009-01-22 5:33pm

My favorites are Canyon De Chelly, Heffalump, Celedon, Rose Quartz, Elphaba dark odd. I use a lot of Hades. Black Currant spreads amazingly, I'll look for a photo. Oh, Halong Bay and Peacock are amazing, and then there is Gelly Pink. I have some of the cored Cranberry and cored Gelly, but that is for petting, not for melting - lol! Kryptonite, Electric Avenue, Chalcedony. I think the list of ones I don't like is much shorter. But I can't make heads or tails out of Poi. :P

DesertDreamer 2009-01-22 5:46pm

I love Peace. It's the perfect white for stacked dots.

I love Hades. Sexy, reactive, well-behaved black. Even small dots stay black.

I love Bordello. After all these years, finally a transparent garnet!

I love Ghee. It's just plain cool, with all the reactive combinations and color changes.

And I love Cirrus. It's so pretty layered over saturated color shards.

I love 'em all, but those are my top favorites.

artwhim 2009-01-22 6:27pm

Kym, I think it would be very good for murrini. It isn't as soupy as the other 104 whites and the color is denser. Seems to take heat well too.

Hayley, are you refering to the 96 Enamel White? If so, I think the enamel white is denser in color than Peace, but the Peace is not frustrating to use. Did you ever have a chance to use some old Moretti white (maybe 6 or 7 yrs old)? It used to be much denser in color than what they currently make. No comparison really, the current stuff seems like the color is very watered down to me. Peace is "as white" as the old stuff and maybe even better, plus the thicker consistency allows it to be worked in ways that were really difficult with the Moretti. The large dot bead of mine that you received in the Perfect Bead exchange probably has some Peace in it because most of my dot beads do. Oh, and no, I've never had any that is shocky.

I really haven't found any flaws with this white. Plus it's easy to tell which rods are Peace on the workbench because the rods have a pearly sheen.

Hayley 2009-01-22 6:44pm

Thanks, Kathy! I will surely try it next time I torch. I have only been torching for 2.5 years so never knew about the old Moretti white. When I had Gianni Toso's workshop, he used an Effetre Enamel White that's very dense (he preheats 1/2" 10mm shorts in the kiln for pulling canes) . . . I can't find it anywhere . . . then again Effetre makes special glass just for him. Anyway, Peace sounds very similar!

Carolyn M 2009-01-22 7:24pm

I think I have all the CIM colours, they are hands down my favourite glass manufacturer.

I haven't used a colour I didn't like. Some I love!

Amybeads 2009-01-22 9:46pm

I love all the CIM colors I have tried also. The cranberry is an awesome pink. It doesn't give me trouble like rubino does.

effemess 2009-01-23 2:56am

CIM Dirty Martini because it loves silver and silver glass....

LAJ 2009-01-23 10:04am

AH! I've never seen such smooth electroforming. That's what threw me. Absolutely love the simplicity & beauty of it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayley (Post 2340641)
Thank you, Lea! It's electroformed in copper - I didn't patina this one coz it turned out so smooth!

These are fabulous too. Love the fuming effect on these.
Quote:

Originally Posted by blue bird (Post 2340829)