Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Torch Questions (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   The GTT Scorpion (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135386)

kbinkster 2009-07-23 8:06am

The GTT Scorpion

GTT has just unveiled its newest addition: the Scorpion.

The Scorpion is a two stage torch with the Cricket as the centerfire and a ring of eight specially designed jets (patenet pending) on the outerfire. It is designed specifically for concentrator use - being able to be run on very low pressures and low flows.

It is available as a two stud model or as a four stud model.

kbinkster 2009-07-23 8:09am

The price of the Scorpion is $780. There is an introductory price, however, of $650.

There are two types of custom color paint jobs available - single step color jobs (where there is only one step in the process) and two step color jobs (where there is a base coat and a top coat).

There are several colors available as a single step process, including many of the sparkle colors. The single step color jobs are $30 for the cone/body and $5 per valve cap set.

The two step colors are the really special colors and they are $60 for the cone/body and $10 per valve cap set.

shawnette 2009-07-23 8:09am

=P~ =P~ =P~

Can you get it plain, no color?

squid 2009-07-23 8:10am

must.have.

paintingwithglass 2009-07-23 8:10am

Excellent :-D

paintingwithglass 2009-07-23 8:11am

Quote:

Originally Posted by shawnette (Post 2588599)
=P~ =P~ =P~

Can you get it plain, no color?

You want a naked Scorpion?

kbinkster 2009-07-23 8:11am

Here is a purple Scorpion with four studs:

Rose 2009-07-23 8:12am

"It is available as a two stud model or as a four stud model."

Can you explain that? Basically, why would a person want a 4 stud?

kbinkster 2009-07-23 8:14am

You can get the standard violet annodized cone/valve body at no additional charge.

shawnette 2009-07-23 8:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rose (Post 2588614)

2 stud only has one set of inlets for oxy & propane. You use the same source for inner and outer ports. 4 stud has 2 sets for seperate oxy fuel sources. If you use a footpedal, you want a 4 stud.

Wonker 2009-07-23 8:15am

That's a killer torch. You'd better start making them now...wait....I hope you have already made a bunch of them.

Rose 2009-07-23 8:16am

Ok... so could you use NG AND propane if you had the 4 stud?

Wonker 2009-07-23 8:17am

or, you could run the centerfire off a concentrator and the out ring off tanked.....

kbinkster 2009-07-23 8:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rose (Post 2588614)

If you want to run a foot pedal, then you would want 4 stud.

On other torches, it's a good idea to have 4 studs so you can run the centerfire and outerfire on seperate oxygen sources if you had to (like the center on a concentrator and the outer on tanked). The Scorpion runs so well on concentrators for both fires, you really don't have to have the four studs unless you have mis-matched concentrators that cannot be hooked up to run together and you want to use one on the centerfire and one on the outerfire OR if you want to run the outerfire with a foot pedal.

shawnette 2009-07-23 8:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbinkster (Post 2588621)
You can get the standard violet annodized cone/valve body at no additional charge.

What about just plain old silver? No color.

Rose 2009-07-23 8:19am

Thanks, that's what I needed to know :-)

kbinkster 2009-07-23 8:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by shawnette (Post 2588636)
What about just plain old silver? No color.

You can get it plain, but because the valve body is aluminum, it will oxidize if left uncoated. So, you would want to at least have it clear coated.

shawnette 2009-07-23 9:03am

Y'all got layaway?

(just kidding!)

(sort of...)

divelement 2009-07-23 9:18am

With a OXY con you would not want to set up on the second ports with a foot pedal as would cause backup pressure when not rageing. Unless I am missing something. i think I may buy this thing. They have some of these already made and are for sale today? looks sweet.

cc2 2009-07-23 9:28am

Quote:

Originally Posted by shawnette (Post 2588727)
Y'all got layaway?

(just kidding!)

(sort of...)

:lol:

lunamoonshadow 2009-07-23 9:51am

Even though I can't afford one right now (damnit, I'm still saving for a kiln :lol:) and I've yet to light up my purple cricket--:love: it, use the ones in Rockland, that torch ROCKS!--, I'm just DYING to see the "multicolored sparkle" one :lol:
I pet my purple cricket frequently....(a multicolored option *might* have made me go custom--I'm a rainbow FREAK!)

bclogan 2009-07-23 10:09am

So when are you going to post pictures of the different colors available? I need to see them...! LOL!

SELSEY 2009-07-23 11:44am

Is there a different price on the four stud vs the two stud?

SELSEY 2009-07-23 11:44am

Wait! another question.....can I cancel my cricket order and order th scorpion instead?

gubnavnania 2009-07-23 3:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbinkster (Post 2588634)
If you want to run a foot pedal, then you would want 4 stud.

On other torches, it's a good idea to have 4 studs so you can run the centerfire and outerfire on seperate oxygen sources if you had to (like the center on a concentrator and the outer on tanked). The Scorpion runs so well on concentrators for both fires, you really don't have to have the four studs unless you have mis-matched concentrators that cannot be hooked up to run together and you want to use one on the centerfire and one on the outerfire OR if you want to run the outerfire with a foot pedal.

So basically, you can't run separate centerfire and outerfire with 2 stud? And you really really need foot pedal to run them separate?

#-o:-k<---- me confused

Wonker 2009-07-23 3:33pm

you don't need a foot pedal...you can simply manually turn on the outer ring. It just makes running a torch more efficient. It's almost as good as adding a hand.

Imaglassgal 2009-07-23 3:36pm

I'm ready to order a 4 stud one as soon as I see the color choices (that will be the only hard choice). Is there a pre-order waiting list?

KEW 2009-07-23 4:15pm

What are the flame characteristics in relation to the Lynx?

gubnavnania 2009-07-23 4:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wonker (Post 2589333)
you don't need a foot pedal...you can simply manually turn on the outer ring. It just makes running a torch more efficient. It's almost as good as adding a hand.

But is that mean that without foot pedal or with ONLY 2 stud, the outerfire will always on?

(sorry I'm kinda new with 4 stud and innerfire/outerfire thingy):oops:

squid 2009-07-23 4:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by gubnavnania (Post 2589426)
But is that mean that without foot pedal or with ONLY 2 stud, the outerfire will always on?

(sorry I'm kinda new with 4 stud and innerfire/outerfire thingy):oops:

no, you have separate knobs to control the inner and outerfire. With a foot pedal, you can leave the knobs on and switch from inner to outer with a foot pedal. At least, that is my understanding from what I have seen.