Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sale Rack (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Implosion Secrets by Ron Bearer Jr (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=183218)

Baubles by eli 2011-04-03 12:41pm

I love the tutorial, I can't wait to receive my marble to have a piece of your beautiful art.

R4GlassStudio 2011-04-04 6:42am

Thanks everyone! I was away at a convention last week and am back in action now. I did get on the torch a lot though and will be mailing a bunch of them today. Marbles for sale....? As soon as I catch up, I plan on opeing an etsy page to start selling them. I have also been making some flower sculptures using just clear. I'll post a pic of those today.
Please keep in touch, it is always nice to hear from everyone!
Thanks,
Ron

R4GlassStudio 2011-04-04 7:26am

more marbles

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

R4GlassStudio 2011-04-04 7:33am

new flower sculptures... hard to take pics of though. Better pics coming soon. LOL
Ron

j2canoe 2011-04-04 2:01pm

WOW RON!!!! I am just Gobsmacked!!! My marble arrived today and it is beyond Amazing!!!! It's HUGE!!!! and VERY ROUND (I'm still working on that....:\)!!!! I thought I had been forgotten and wasn't going to peep since the tutorial is SO worth the money - but OMG - I'm so glad that it came. Definitely a source of AWE in my household!!! :) Thank You! :)

R4GlassStudio 2011-04-05 5:53am

Joan,
Thanks and I am glad you liked the marble. By next Monday, I should be shipping marble orders from April, so anyone who has not gotten theirs yet, please hang in there. As awlays, feel free to PM me though. I always love to hear from everyone.
Yesterday was international shipments... Canada, Australia, Great Britain and Northern Ireland. The next 5 are in the USA, then I have one more for Australia, then I will be on the page from March 29th. Catching up, little by little.
Thanks everyone!!
Ron

gubnavnania 2011-04-06 5:18pm

I received my marble!!!!! So pretty! Thank you so much, Ron :D

keys4life 2011-04-07 7:07am

cant wait for my marble

heres what i made right after i read the tutorial

can i get a side view of one of your mibs R4? i cant tell how far yours implode, also i cant figure out how to get eh flower to occupy the entire marble

thanx for any help
Keys

tweeky clothespin 2011-04-07 7:40am

Keys, thank you so much for posting your pics. Were these some of your first implosions? I am really on the fence about buying this becasue I am not sure I will be able to produce anything. I am sorta equipment impaired.

keys4life 2011-04-07 7:47am

my progress ^^^^

these are def some of my best and they were the first 2 i made after reading the tutorial, but i have made quite a few before :)

tweeky clothespin 2011-04-07 8:54am

Oh my! Your work is beautiful. Ok, so here is the deal (and no you are not allowed to laugh to my face, but behind my back is is totally fine). And anyone can answer this. I am currently working on a Nortel minor with tanked O2. Yes, I am looking to upgrade my torch and suggestions on that front will be appreciated. But am I going to be able to use the information in this tutorial with my current set up? I am not really looking to make marbles but more 'cab' like stuff. Any thoughts?

R4GlassStudio 2011-04-07 11:39am

tweeky-
Great question! The concept about how much torch is needed to do boro is a question we hear ALL the time. The funny thing is the comments made by those without lots of boro time or perhaps with lots "bad technique" boro time pass on opinions that are Far from fact.
So, here it is.........
Nortel Minor is a Great torch and can do amazing things with proper technique. Without going into too much here and NOT comparing which torch does something better than another..... the minor can make boro marbles from 3/4 inch to 1 1/8" very well. It can do 1 1/4" size pretty well... with a little more time needed to melt down the larger size rods to start the implosions. Larger than that CAN be done, but it would take a lot of extra time to make it.
Back to the minor... Just an FYI.... it is a great ornament torch for using 25.4 x 4mm wall (1 inch heavy wall) tube and 30mm scalloped tube.
A thing about technique.........
Rotating glass evenly without the end wobbling in the flame will speed things up a bunch. If you have ever watched a student trying to melt something smooth for 20 minutes and the instructor comes up and does it with the same flame in 1 minute... you know what I mean.
PM me anytime with questions! That is for everyone... you don't have to own one of my tutorials to PM me for info. I love to talk about glass and enjoy hearing from other glass artists.
Ron

R4GlassStudio 2011-04-07 11:40am

Keys...
I am sending you another PM. Nice work!
Ron
Here are some side views.......

tweeky clothespin 2011-04-07 11:48am

Ron, you are a hero. Thanks so much. The sizes you listed are about the sizes I was looking at making. My goal is to make buttons, so I used the cab-ish description. Will this tutorial ge tme on the right track. or perhaps something else? And, thanks.

lampworker1 2011-04-07 11:50am

Does the tutorial teach you how to make marbles or what gorgeous color combinations to use?

R4GlassStudio 2011-04-07 12:13pm

The tutorial is for someone who has a basic concept of marbles. But it covers in complete detail, not only how implosions work, but why and what to do to create never seen before designs. This tutoial unlocks the secrets of how to create cane to make new colors designs in the implosion process... The info can be used for pendants, cabs, etc.
I will of course be there through the learning curve to answer questions... even provide graphics to help with the answers to make it easy.
Ron

lampworker1 2011-04-07 12:15pm

Thanks for your quick response.

tweeky clothespin 2011-04-07 12:17pm

Ok, I'm sold. Heading over to buy it now. BTW, for me the biggest selling point is your willingness to help and answer all of these questions with kindness. And the fact that you didn't publicly laugh at me helped too.:grin:

R4GlassStudio 2011-04-07 1:27pm

Tweeky.....
Some day I'll post a picture of my first goblet ever. What makes it funny is I made it before ever watching a demo, video, book or anything! So you can just picture how "sad" looking it is. But, I kept it to show students when they get frustrated as a beginner. It is my "see, we ALL started at the beginning and your pieces are Way better than this!"
LOL... I have yet to see a student do worse that my first goblet. All I can say is "it does hold water".
Keep in touch and send PMs. I'll create new graphics and instructions for any direction you wish to take it.
Most of all........... Have Fun!
Ron

gubnavnania 2011-04-07 1:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by R4GlassStudio (Post 3444183)
Hi Vicki!
They get sent out to everyone as soon as they are ready. There hasn't been one since you got the ebook. The one adding reds will go out in a week or so. When I do the add-on, I add the extra pages to the main tutorial and send it out complete. That way everyone has one file, rather than a bunch of smaller files.
Thanks,
Ron

Ron, what is the page # for the red ones?

dweezil 2011-04-07 1:55pm

He is telling the truth. I have seen his first goblet. It does hold water!!!

tweeky, Ron is the absolute best when it comes to helping out and answering questions. What you see is what you get with him and his better half Rocio.

R4GlassStudio 2011-04-11 6:38am

a few reds.....

R4GlassStudio 2011-04-11 8:53am

The last add-on with two pages of reds was just sent out.
Enjoy!
Ron

cheng076 2011-04-11 9:50am

Without reading thru the 5 pages of posts let me ask this;
Is the tutorial a download with followup marble and orniment in the mail OR a pay by PayPal and get a DVD/CD in the mail?
PJH

R4GlassStudio 2011-04-11 12:23pm

Quick answer....
The buy button is paypal run... so paypal or credit card works.
You get a PDF file emailed back to you that you can save on your computer and print out. The marbles have been running three weeks or so.... but I got a lot of work done this weekend and will be up to date this week.
Thanks,
Ron

cheng076 2011-04-11 2:30pm

thanks.

GwenMorris 2011-04-12 7:18am

Just ordered one, can't wait!! It' finally warm enough here to open the studio again.

tweeky clothespin 2011-04-13 9:05pm

Ron, I am having a few problems. Should I ask here or would you rather I pm you?

Kalorlo 2011-04-14 4:27am

I have some pics! (Mine are all soft glass).

First, what I was making before the tutorial:

Immediately after the tutorial:

And a daffodil that still needs work, but is recognisably a daffodil! This is a great tutorial and I have all manner of things to try from it.

My gorgeous marble from Ron arrived at the weekend. It's huge! The last pic is just to show the difference in scale... His is about 3.5cm in diameter.

R4GlassStudio 2011-04-14 5:33am

Hi Tweekey....
Its up to you.... I'll pm you my 800 number too.
Thanks,
Ron

R4GlassStudio 2011-04-14 5:46am

Kalorlo - Heather,
Thanks for posting and your implosions look great!
The marbles I send out for the tutorials are 1 3/8 - 1 5/8 or so. Which is the size I like to make. I go 1 3/4 to 2" on the collector side, but not as often.
Thanks and keep in touch!
Ron

keys4life 2011-04-14 10:34am

cant wait for my marble!

i love how much this tutorial has helped me

i just wish i had all the colors you use lol

any chance you could do a couple all GA or Northstar color sets?

tweeky clothespin 2011-04-15 5:38pm

Ron, I am going to post here just in case someone else is having the same issue I am having. I seem to be getting an air bubble just under the center of the flower. It is sort of between the flower stamens and the first row of petals. Does that make sense? I am wondering if maybe I need to 'flatten' it a bit more. Ok, I am not sure that even made sense to me. I will see if I can post a pic if it would help. And just as a side note, are you teaching any classes this summer?

R4GlassStudio 2011-04-16 8:46am

Yes, flatten the bottom some more. If the bottom point of the flower is indented too far into the marble, AND the punti is too big to fit inside that hole, it will grab the edge of the hole and trap air inside, even though you pull it closed. Switch to a small, fine flame and heat around the bottom point of the flower and press it back on the marver to flatten it out more. Using this small focused flame, will help you to "only" heat the very bottom... which will prevent the 3D design inside from squishing. Also at this step, you should hold the glass level with the table with the bottom pointed toward the torch. This will help close the back, without folding more clear over. Please let me know if you need more information or tips.
Thanks!
Ron

tweeky clothespin 2011-04-16 11:32pm

Wow, thanks Ron. I will give it a try in the morning.

cakelady 2011-04-17 5:56am

Do you have any idea when your going to do the soft glass flower tutorial?? I need some help in the soft glass area.

SadiesJewels 2011-04-17 3:40pm

Kim ... I've tried this in soft glass and it works well. Exactly the same principles and techniques just a lot more challenging on the heat control front (mine cracked)!

I can see where I've been going wrong now (in boro) - I didn't close the back.

Give it a go Kim!

Sadie

cakelady 2011-04-17 5:37pm

Thanks I have done a few before. I just can't get them to look near as good as yours.
Here are some I have photo's of. Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks

tweeky clothespin 2011-04-17 10:10pm

Kim, those are beautiful!! I mean really beautiful. I like your color combinations and your top loops (or whatever they are called) are amazing.

cakelady 2011-04-18 6:15am

Thanks I actually like make the loops. I just want to see more layers and the stem. I know Iam really close to making really nice pendant, but something is just missing. Not sure what Iam missing but something. Any suggestions would be welcome.

R4GlassStudio 2011-04-18 7:59am

Hi Kim!
There are a few ways to do the pendants. I would play with size first, like the orange and white flower in the bottom right. Keep the clear disk big and don't place your line pattern too far out towars the edges. Keeping the flower design in close with keep the flower more 3D and more detail.
Pendants..... There is a 3/4 view implosion that you should do. It will change your life as far as sales go. I'll PM you a graphic in a bit.
Ron

tweeky clothespin 2011-04-18 8:38am

Ron, is there any chance that you will be offering classes in either this or the Christmas ornaments? I need to plan early (and I am looking for a good excuse to get to Florida this summer). I love the tutorials, but let's face it, nothing beats face to face hands on help.

R4GlassStudio 2011-04-18 8:50am

There will be three classes in Florida on marbles and one flower / Fish sculpture class. The summer schedule is not set yet, but PM me with ideas.
The plan now is to run a marble class in my studio on a Saturday followed by a sculpture class on Sunday. People could take one or both days. Then we are planning on a Marble class at Kathy Truba's Glass Studio in Deland, Florida this summer as well.
Thanks,
Ron

cakelady 2011-04-18 10:50am

Just received your pm. You are so sweet. I still think I need to buy the soft glass one ,maybe the boro tutorial. I am not sure, wish I was rich I would get both. For now that should help me alot. Thanks for the information, cant wait until my arm heals so I can get working on my torch again.God I miss it. God bless you and thanks for all the help.

cakelady 2011-04-18 10:52am

P.S. I haven't sold very many things I have made, I am really attached to them. Since I hurt my arm and neck and haven't worked for a couple of weeks I might have to sell some of them. How much would you all think I should charge. They aren't perfect, but they aren't bad either.

R4GlassStudio 2011-04-18 11:23am

Kim,
I am sending you a PM about pricing. That is kind of a "Hot Topic" which could change the direction of this thread.
Ron

tweeky clothespin 2011-04-18 3:41pm

Ron let me check my calendar and I will get back to you. It would be better for me to have the classes back to back since I would be traveling from California. Could you tell me more about the flower / fish sculptor class? And thank you so much for your earlier help, no more bubble in the middle!!!

SamanthaBeads 2011-04-18 4:01pm

Ordered mine...too excited cant wait to try it!

Samantha

tweeky clothespin 2011-04-18 10:59pm

Samantha, it is a great tutorial. You will love it. The very best thing that you get is the wonderful help from Ron.

cakelady 2011-04-19 7:41am

Can't wait to see what you all do with your new found information. Right now I can't torch. I hurt my arm, so Iam off the torch. Please show me, it will help pass the time. Thanks.