Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tutorials (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   ratticello tutorial n e one??? (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4560)

*TRiNA* 2005-09-18 7:42pm

ratticello tutorial n e one???

i was lookin for a tutorial on ratticello (i'm just about positive that i spelled it wrong, feel free to correct me) i have an idea of how its done but i think some instructions and pictures would make all the diffrence. thanx :wave:

Craftylady 2005-09-21 8:14pm

I have no idea what that is I sure hope soemone can tell and show us.

Robinj 2005-09-21 10:09pm

The effect is like a latticino inside a latticino, but the inside one spirals opposite of the outside one. I've seen blown glass done like that. I have no idea how it's done though.

Cosmo 2005-09-23 6:27am

I don't have the tutorial any more. We had a hard drive failure a few months back and I lost everything. That was one of the things I lost.

I got it from The Flow Magazine - www.theflowmagazine.com - so you can check there. Perhaps they have it online, or can tell you what issue it was in.

Moth 2005-09-23 7:33am

I really wish someone would post a tutorial too.

Chad, thanks for trying, but I can't wrap my mind around that. I keep thinking that retwisting backwards would just untwist what you did the first time. And at what point is the pull?

~~Mary

Cosmo 2005-09-23 11:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moth
I really wish someone would post a tutorial too.

Chad, thanks for trying, but I can't wrap my mind around that. I keep thinking that retwisting backwards would just untwist what you did the first time. And at what point is the pull?

~~Mary

Well, it does sort of untwist the first one. Just not all the way. I saw a tutorial somewhere. I'll find it....

Cosmo 2005-09-23 11:29am

Aha! Found it. This is from the Spring 2003 issue of The Flow.

*TRiNA* 2005-09-23 3:38pm

thanx

Thanks...that helped alot. i can't wait to try it. :biggrin:

Moth 2005-09-24 8:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cosmo
Aha! Found it. This is from the Spring 2003 issue of The Flow.

Right click, save as....

www.soleiletlune.com/temp/reticello1.jpg
www.soleiletlune.com/temp/reticello2.jpg

Awesome!!!!!!!!!!

I fell asleep last night trying to figure out how to do this. LOL Guess I don't need to mention that I wasn't even close.

I thought that maybe you took a point, painted lines on it and twisted it. Painted more lines on it and twisted it, only in my head, you twist it the same way both times.

Then, you flare the tube, and fold it back on itself. Close off the new end and blow it out.

This was the only way I could get my head to see two sets of lines going in different directions in the same layer of glass. I just couldn't grasp it.

Thank you SO much for posting those directions.

~~Mary

Craftylady 2005-09-25 9:24am

Chad thanks for taking the time to find that tutorial.

glasstroll 2005-11-26 6:20am

you have got to overspin first set o lines

Rose Leslie 2005-11-26 7:17pm

Is this only for boro. NOt for soft glass?

Cosmo 2005-11-26 9:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rose Leslie
Is this only for boro. NOt for soft glass?

I have seen people do similar things on larger soft glass rods. You draw lines down the rod, twist, draw other lines, twist back, then condense the whole thing into a ball or disc. But, it's much easier on tubing. Of course, I'm tubing-challenged, so it's not easy for me no matter what I do.

Cosmo 2005-11-28 7:12am

I had to remove the tutorial from my site due to bandwidth issues. If anyone wants, it, PM or e-mail me and I'll send it to you.

Nanette 2005-11-28 11:33am

Reversing-twisty-lines tutorial

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cosmo
I had to remove the tutorial from my site due to bandwidth issues. If anyone wants, it, PM or e-mail me and I'll send it to you.

Hello there! May I have the tutorial please? Thank you SO much!

Nan

Cosmo 2005-11-28 11:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nanette
Hello there! May I have the tutorial please? Thank you SO much!

Nan

Send me your e-mail address and I'll send it to you.

jknappcampbell 2005-11-28 8:19pm

I would also love the tutorial: jknapp@champmail.com many thanks for finding and doing!

Wumpmonk 2005-11-30 6:24pm

Hi! Please send me the tutuorial.

wumpmonk@aol.com

Thanks,
Susan

PegJake 2005-11-30 10:56pm

I'd love a TUT on that Rat. too!! Has anyone contacted Luke Gardner about doing one? He did a demo at the 1st. Annual Bead Invitational at his WONDERFUL place in Penn. (if you ever get the chance ....GO!!!) Anyway....his Raticello's are AWESOME....Mary...weren't you there for that??
Peggy
Pegjake@aol.com

Lizabeads 2005-12-01 7:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by PegJake
I'd love a TUT on that Rat. too!! Has anyone contacted Luke Gardner about doing one? He did a demo at the 1st. Annual Bead Invitational at his WONDERFUL place in Penn. (if you ever get the chance ....GO!!!) Anyway....his Raticello's are AWESOME....Mary...weren't you there for that??
Peggy
Pegjake@aol.com

If he will get him to do it and send it to Lizabeads@aol.com for your Tutorial Book that I am doing to raise money for LE

andrew brown 2005-12-03 6:56pm

a reticello is an old technique that comes from italy i think.. the old style has air bubbles under each overlay.. it is basically two layers of lines that go in opposite directins layed over top of themselves... one way to do it , tube or rod, is to
1 lay straight lines down a tube or rod... multiple colors or one color..
2. twist that segment one full rotation so that the original lines match up with eachother..
3 lay lines that match the start and end point of each one....
4 twist segment one half rotation the other direction...
5 carefully clean up the end so that all the lines meet up to a point...
5 flatten and add lens, blow out and use in segment, or implode... etc..
troy bennet does some of the nicest cleanest ratti marbles ive seen out there, as with josh sable...http://www.glassartists.org/Gal12850..._Reticello.asp
hope this helps...
andrew

andrew brown 2005-12-03 7:03pm

heres a nice reticello from sable
http://www.sablemarbles.homestead.com/oct001.html
andrew

rusticstudio 2006-01-06 9:36am

holy crap! those are cool!

Cosmo 2006-01-06 10:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by rusticstudio
holy crap! those are cool!

Yeah. One of these days I'll learn how to do that...

Mr. Smiley 2006-01-06 1:16pm

Those are really really clean rainbows. I've done a few half way desent ones... but DAMN! :jawdrop: :lol:

PPP :D

Lizabeads 2006-01-06 2:08pm

Yeppers they are REAL cool but I'll be damned if I could do it !!! Who ever was sending out tuts on this please send one to lizabeads@aol.com
THANKS

PaulaD 2006-01-06 6:57pm

Well I can spell it but I can't do it! I took a class once with Leah Fairbanks and she can do it really well!! Paula

PaulaD 2006-01-06 7:00pm

Hey Chad. Can you put up the link? OR send it to me? Thanks. Paula

rusticstudio 2006-01-07 11:46pm

is it only raticello if it's the 2 layers crisscrossing, or just if it's a zigzag?
Can someone recommend a good book or video to learn the basics of all this terminology for boro stuff?

Sharon Abood 2006-01-08 12:15pm

Chad could you send me this tutoral please?
Thanks,
Sharon
sabood@insight.rr.com