Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tutorials (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Loops for pendants (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3495)

whimsicalbeader 2005-08-30 8:21am

Loops for pendants

Hello, I am new to the group, but I have loved your tutorials so decided I
needed to join you all.
I just got a minor burner and am dying to make pendants, any good tutorials would be much appreciated. I can't keep the bead warm enough not to break and cannot do the loop at all!!! Driving me crazy!
Thanks, I look forward to being part of the group.
Deby

Lynn Larson 2005-08-30 8:55am

Hi Deby and welcome to LE! The best way I have found to do a loop is to make a small bead on a mandrel and put it in the kiln. Make your off-mandrel pendant, then (while wearing gloves!!) pull the bead out of the kiln and reintroduce it into the flame. Remember to keep your pendant warm too! Then heat one side of the bead, heat a spot on the pendant, and attatch. Voila...loop on pendant!

jwelsh 2005-08-30 9:20am

welcome deby! need any help email jeff and he'll be glad to help you out! sandra

Anakin's Glass Eye 2005-08-30 10:39am

Does your kiln have a small front side flip up door?

MikeAurelius 2005-08-30 11:31am

You can also punty up the pendant, then you don't have to get your hands warm (or wear gloves).

ltsexpressions 2005-08-30 3:27pm

also look at my Poopy Loopy Tuttie and see if that helps and/or makes any sense to help make loops....

to anyone who is good at making loops, please review it too and let me know what you think!

thx,

stacy

Zooziis 2005-09-02 12:12am

I make a simple donut bead/basic round bead and put it in the kiln. I make my pendant and when it's on the rod, I just pull the little bead out, heat it in the flame immediately so it doesn't crack, then I heat where I'm joining to the pendant, then push them together. Then I melt the pendant off the rod, or pop it off the punty, depending how I made the pendant...I find this is much easier for me then trying to fuss with a loop from scratch on an already made bead...

whimsicalbeader 2005-09-02 8:32am

Right now the kiln has a lift off top, but I am going to have a flip door put on soon hopefully. Thank you all for your replys, I broke my hand and wrist so unless I can figure out a way to prevent setting the old cast on fire, my bead making is probably on hold for a bit.

Gail Joseph 2005-09-25 5:50am

THANK YOU for this suggestion!!!! I finally have managed to implode some pendants, and thought I might just have to be making cabachons instead of pendants. Pati Walton did teach us to make sort of a barrel shaped blob on the back of the pendant, then drill through it with a heated tungsten pick. I really didn't think it could/would work for me, but I did it in June...The question is...can I do it again, or should I go for the pre-made bead? LIking the premade technique!!!