Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Free Tutorials (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   Seahorse Twisty Tutorial (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3450)

kimberly 2005-08-29 10:29am

Seahorse Twisty Tutorial

This free tutorial no longer shows up in the list of free tutorials (don't know why - I was planning on leaving it here on LE) - so I am deleting it. I will eventually put it up on FB and my blog. Thank you for looking.

DreamMuse 2005-08-29 10:42am

Wow, thank you so much for posting this!!! I'm dying to try it now!

Yer the best!

Bear Rampant Glass 2005-08-29 10:46am

How freaking amazingly cool! You are great, Kimberly!!!

Jeannette

chrisdd 2005-08-29 10:55am

This is the most unique way to make twisties that I've ever seen. Why do you use a cone-shaped base?

BiaggiaBeads 2005-08-29 11:11am

Thank you Kimberly! Pulling twisties is one of my most dreaded skills and it's great to see another technique! Can't wait to give it a try! Thanks so much for sharing this with us all! :grin:

chrisdd 2005-08-29 11:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by kimberly
I get very little waste that way. Most of the pull is in the thick part of the cone. By the time you get to the bottom of the cone, you still have enough stripes left on the core that you can pull down to the bitter end. Great way to use odd lot colors that you don't have a lot of.

Ooooh, I get it. :idea: Damn, I am SO glad I played hookie from work today. I'm going to try this today.

Sam_W 2005-08-29 11:20am

First - thank you so much for this, Kimberly. The generosity you display with your knowledge is really humbling.

Second, is there anyway we get some kind of tip jar tied to these tutorials? Honestly, the material posted here is often unique and valuable, it'd be awfully nice if we could toss a few bucks into a tip jar for the authors.

Aaaanyway, thanks again Kimberly, this is a great tutorial and it answers a ton of related questions I've had about organic canes and methods for pulling them. Now, if we could just get you down to Dallas for a class . . . .

Shawn T 2005-08-29 11:24am

Kimberly,
Awesome!!!
What a wonderful tutorial so easy to understand. Great photos and wonderful descriptive words to go with it. Thank You so much for sharing your way for making twisties.

WhiskerWood 2005-08-29 11:34am

5 STARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Awesome tutorial Kimberly!!!
And your son did am awesome job on the pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Craftylady 2005-08-29 11:35am

Thank you kimberly for taking the time to put this together. And please tell your son how much we are enjoying his photography work! I cant wait to try this.

Nicker 2005-08-29 11:51am

Kimberly that's an awsome tut, great pics tell your son thanks!

ChaseDesigns 2005-08-29 11:53am

Excellent! A++++++++. Great job kimberly. Thank you!

GreatBeadsOfFire 2005-08-29 12:00pm

=D>=D>=D>=D>=D>=D>=D>

Thank you very very much! You ROCK!

DawnT 2005-08-29 12:24pm

Thanks so much Kimberly! I have a terrible time with twisties so glad to see another way of doing them! =D>

ElizabethCreations 2005-08-29 12:52pm

Thank you so much Kimberly for this tutorial. I've never make such nice twisties before. I used your technique with the mandrel and WOW!!! Long, even and incredibly nice twisties...
Thanks a lot for sharing this with us!!!

sadiesmom 2005-08-29 1:03pm

WOW KIMBERLY!!!!! I'm going to try this out today!!

This seems like one of those tips that someone would try to keep from others. And you shared it with us!! THANK YOU!!!!!!!

lbjvg 2005-08-29 1:36pm

Just when I thought I knew all there was to pulling twisties - marvering into a cone is something I didn't know about. Thanks for the tip!

Stinky Jr 2005-08-29 1:47pm

Kinberly,
Thank you so much for the infomation. This is wonderfully generous of you. And thanks to Andrea Guarino for teaching you. I can't wait to try pulling twisties like this. :waving:
Linda

Jacinthe 2005-08-29 3:49pm

Awesome Kimberly!

Curly Irish Girl 2005-08-29 4:04pm

So...when you are done pulling the twistie do you plunge the mandrel with remaining glass in water to get rid of the remaining glass????

Excellent tutorial - I can imagine attempts at seahorses all over the place tonight!! Thanks!

sadiesmom 2005-08-29 5:47pm

Well I'm not making sea horses... but I sure am having a good time!! I'll take pictures when I'm done.

Dragonfire 2005-08-29 5:52pm

HOw awesome!!!

I'm signed up for your class....well I'm first on the waiting list, in Orlando. I can't wait. You rule!!

Michele

x_phoenician 2005-08-29 6:13pm

Thank ya thank ya

Thank you Kim. I was so discouraged Saturday when I tried making my own stringers and twisties (it looked so EASY in the book :rolleyes: )

Tracy

chrisdd 2005-08-29 7:46pm

I just tried this technique, and it is really good for getting tightly twisted, thin twisties. I had problems with controlling the heat and kept burning off the twistie. WAIT...don't tell me...PPP. :) I'll definitely keep trying. Thanks again for the tutorial. I did come up with a gorgeous color combo, though. Used a black base with swipes of New Violet, Copper Green and Raku cane.

StLouisBiker 2005-08-29 8:15pm

Thank you, Kimberly. I've been trying to figure out what your twisties were made of. I can't wait to try it.

suzanne 2005-08-30 3:48am

You are kidding me!!!! This is the twisty you use for your beads??? I have read you are way too generous by sharing you secrets, but this just blows me away! I can not wait to try this!!, I won't sell it though, it's all yours:)

Dragonfire 2005-08-30 4:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by kimberly
Cool!!!!! I hope you get in!!!!! I can't remember if there is a get together the night before. If there is, will you be coming to that??

HECK YES!!!! Now if I can just get in. [-o<

(I have to keep myself from calling and checking each day.....anybody have to drop out.....how about now?..........now?........what about now?)

Michele

gayle janczarek 2005-08-30 6:35am

Kim, Thank you for a great tutorial. I'm signed up for the Oct class in Michigan. I will start practicing tonight. I promice! gayle
How much longer till Oct? Feel like the little kid asking "How many more days till Christmas?"

Tami 2005-08-30 8:11am

Kimberly, thank you for this fantastic tutorial! Canīt wait to try this!

Pat 2005-08-30 3:36pm

Kimberly, my hats off to you and your son on sharing such a nice tutorial....Thanks