Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Free Tutorials (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   My first tutorial. 9 Minute Frit Spinups (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100046)

vega 2008-08-03 11:39am

My first tutorial. 9 Minute Frit Spinups

So some of you wondered about how i'm a production/professional lampworker. Well, I decided to shoot some vids of me in production. I don't have a dyduridium(sp?) lens so its got flare, but its fully annotated. I will have a better angle/no flare soon. Let me know what you think!

Finished Piece (Not the kind of piece I had intended, but has some cool 3d effects. Notice the spinup overlay on the turbo cobalt implosion (backing)):

Frit Spinup (Part 1)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NghzNkB1vQw
Frit Spinup (Part 2)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVb7FJCHmTE
Frit Spinup (Part 3)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LN1JE0MiaaE

theglasszone 2008-08-03 11:59am

Cool! Thanks...of course, this is for BORO!!! I can tell you if you left a hot spun gather out of the flame for 1 minute in soft glass, then did the quick reintro - duck and cover...incoming!!!

Thanks for sharing and good luck to you. Gotta say, though, I think "multitasking" is GOOD for the brain - keeps you sharp!!! :)

DeAnne in CA

Toni Lutman 2008-08-03 12:33pm

Excellent! I like how you worked in the text, but it didn't interfere with viewing the video. Great job! Thanks!

squid 2008-08-03 2:24pm

very cool and I am in lust with your torch - and your oxy supply.

vega 2008-08-03 3:28pm

Thanks! I hope my next version is even better. You will be able to actually see what i'm doing, ha! Gotta start somewhere though.

rckeyes 2008-08-04 2:24am

Ummm, Was this supposed to be a tutorial? I gotta be honest and say i didnt get much from it. Dont get me wrong, Its a great video. The text boxes only stayed long enough to read maybe the first sentance. I would be willing to bet that most of the peeps out there that watched this are still just as clueless about how to do this as they were when they started watching.

Kim V 2008-08-04 3:28am

Thanks!
Rob, I'm not the fastest reader so what I did was watch the video all the way through. Then I watched it again, but hit Pause when text appeared. When I was done reading, I just clicked on Play to start the video back up. Worked for me :D

menty666 2008-08-04 4:30am

Very cool, thanks for sharing!

RaymondMillbrae 2008-08-04 5:18am

Yea,

I'm with RCKEYES...way too fast. Definitely not a tutorial.

I only watched 2 minutes of the first video, then it was of to watch "UFC Wired". (George St-Pierre vs Matt Serra).

Here's my constructive criticism of it:

Tutorials should be "step-by-step instructions" which allow the reader to follow (in a clear and precise fashion), a technique from the beginning to the end. But this was a video of a glass marble being made - with quick text thrown in.

It was cool to watch if you wanted to see someone making something. But I didn't learn anything from it. (OK, OK...you always learn something from watching someone else work. But it was not life changing, nor did it teach me a new technique which I could practice on my own).

Sorry.

But then again, who am I to judge? I can barely make a symetrical bead, and it takes me an hour and a half to watch "60 Minutes. Ha ha ha.

I don't want you to think I'm taking anything away from your glass-working skills (cuz they're "right on")...but it was not presented in a "teaching format".

Cool marble, though!!

Just my thought.

In Christ: Raymond

vega 2008-08-04 5:54am

Thanks for the honest angle. As the title describes, It is my first attempt at this. The more I see what it looks like and peoples reactions, the more I can mold the concept to better fit the desired outcome. I already know how im going to do this differently. And for the record, the reason it was so fast... is becuase I was doing it that fast. I literally didn't have extra space on the timeline to have the text stay longer. Regardless, I appreciate any input!

Toni Lutman 2008-08-04 10:10am

It was being done in real time, so I just hit "pause" to read and absorb what was being done as it went along.

Elegance_1 2008-08-04 11:23am

Very nice video. You may want to be sure the tools you are using, when you are using them are in the camera. Your marver was always hiding behind the torch body and I couldn't see what else you were using as it was under the camera lens area.

I can see if you had talked through it instead of using the boxes it could be a tutorial, with a few shots of the glass you are heating a little closer to the camera lens as well as a recepie list.

Pretty darn decent for a first time! The outcome is very nice!

Frit Diva 2008-08-04 11:36am

I found it very helpful! Not sure I would have understood it completely if I'd never seen an implosion before, but some of the info included was not in other videos I have seen... including the very specific stuff on marvering the back, etc. My suggestion would be more of the text explaining the basic concept of what's happening... if people find it too fast to read, hey, that's what the pause button is for! One thing I did not see was whether you were forming a loop with the 6mm at the end or leaving it basically as a cab to get a metal bail later? Anyway, THANKS for the effort that goes into making such a thing, it's appreciated!

Jo

gubnavnania 2008-08-04 3:39pm

I love how you insert some funny comments :D

I used the pause button as well and watched it twice.

Thanks for doing this.

Ekkie 2008-08-11 4:03am

Great videos. I like the captions.

Thanks
Jenn

lunamoonshadow 2008-08-24 11:02am

I didn't have any problems watching AND reading the text. Of course, I also watch a LOT of foreign films, so I'm used to reading subtitles while watching movies ;)
Loved seeing you spin the two pieces at once--that's awesome!
(yeah, I'm a soft-glass, small torch chick...I'd have a mess on my hands if I tried that :D)

If I was going to actually try to follow the tutorial & make one myself, I'd likely use the "pause" button to study every step multiple times anyway--I do that with "paper-printed" ones!, so it's not like the demo/text thing was too fast for showing :D

NLC Beads 2008-08-24 11:16am

Thanks for taking the time to do this - I don't think my HotHead could handle it, :lol: but I love watching and the results are fab. I must be a speed-reader, too, because I had no problem with the text, other than not always being familiar with the terminology.

kbinkster 2008-08-24 11:42am

Nicely done, Vega.:)