Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tips, Techniques, and Questions (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   What to sit on.... (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=269598)

Floorkasp 2014-09-04 9:05am

What to sit on....

As I am setting up a new workspace, I am curious as to what you use to sit on when working. An office chair, a stool, a regular chair?
Trying to figure out what would work best. Guess it is different for everyone, but looking for some comparison.

dusty 2014-09-04 9:11am

I've got a computer chair and a really amazing old task chair. I usually prefer the task chair. If my back starts hurting in one, I switch to the other for some relief.

Floorkasp 2014-09-04 9:15am

Can you help me out here, non-native speaker of the English language. What is the difference between an office chair and a task chair?

jaybee766 2014-09-04 9:37am

As I understand it - an office chair is designed to be used for 8 hours a day where as a task chair is designed to be used for shorter periods of time. Personally, I find that task chairs are sometimes better on my back (but that could be just me).

carolinainmymind 2014-09-04 10:41am

I have one of these and love it. They also have them with backrest.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ergonomic-...hrome/10778744

Whatever you get make sure you get one with wheels. The better to escape molten glass with, my dear.

Ali Oops 2014-09-05 2:33pm

I use a office chair. The wheels have been quit helpful at times getting outta the way from shocky, spitting glass chunks :) lol

KJohn 2014-09-05 3:31pm

Office chair on rollers for me too! with softer fabric, not any synthetic or slippery material. It gets way too hot. They are cheap enough here (from Goodwill) that I don't mind them getting banged up while working outside. They just have to be as comfortable as possible :)

hyperT 2014-09-05 5:40pm

I just use an old padded folding chair.

NLC Beads 2014-09-05 5:51pm

Office rolling chair reupholstered with denim for less fire risk if I drop things. :)

EchoTantuli 2014-09-05 6:02pm

I use a backless stool. I like that I can quickly pop off the back of it in a flying glass emergency. It is nice prop my feet up on the rungs on the legs too. It also reminds me to take breaks every hour or so, not the most comfortable, but not bad either.

5betsy 2014-09-05 8:14pm

I stand at the torch and have a stool to take breaks on. I would love to know if someone uses one of those "saddle" style stools.

Floorkasp 2014-09-06 8:53am

Thanks for your replies. Have not decided yet. Think a stool on wheels might work for me. Or a really good office chair. I either like no back, or really good back support.
The wheels are a must, I think.

BeckyNoe 2014-09-06 7:00pm

I work for an ergonomic furniture company that sells office seating and i use their Saddle seat with a tall cylinder and foot ring. Don't be fooled by the lack of back on this think. I can sit in that seat for 8 hours and have no issues with my back.

www.humanscale.com go to products and services and then to seating and then look for the saddle and the pony. I use the saddle well ..because i have a fat A** lol

they are a bit expensive from buying on the website, but look at the top for the where to buy and use your zip code to see if there is a retailer near you.

Becky

BeckyNoe 2014-09-06 7:01pm

1 Attachment(s)
here is a photo

artwhim 2014-09-06 7:38pm

Really comfy office chair on wheels. The wheels are important for when something hot breaks off the punty before it should. I also have a footstool under the workbench since I am short. It took many years to get the right combination, but now I am snug as a bug!

MrsD 2014-09-07 5:10am

I have a draftsman's chair which is on wheels & has a ring to put your feet on like the one that Becky posted a pic of, but I have taken the back off it.

swamper 2014-09-07 7:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrsD (Post 4647563)
I have a draftsman's chair which is on wheels & has a ring to put your feet on like the one that Becky posted a pic of, but I have taken the back off it.

I too have a draftsman chair on wheels that I took the back off of. Oddly, it's more comfortable sitting on it backwards,

Jo Ann 2014-09-07 10:55am

I use a barstool that is backless. Like others, it reminds me to take breaks. It has the footrest and is a swivel seat.

bshelle 2014-09-07 4:35pm

I have this chair with an old pillow on the seat for my bum:

http://m.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/art/20210894/

MrsD 2014-09-08 6:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by swamper (Post 4647587)
I too have a draftsman chair on wheels that I took the back off of. Oddly, it's more comfortable sitting on it backwards,

I haven't tried mine the wrong way around, I'll give it a go :lol: .

pamw@sacoriver.net 2014-09-08 9:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeckyNoe (Post 4647459)
I work for an ergonomic furniture company that sells office seating and i use their Saddle seat with a tall cylinder and foot ring. Don't be fooled by the lack of back on this think. I can sit in that seat for 8 hours and have no issues with my back.

www.humanscale.com go to products and services and then to seating and then look for the saddle and the pony. I use the saddle well ..because i have a fat A** lol

they are a bit expensive from buying on the website, but look at the top for the where to buy and use your zip code to see if there is a retailer near you.

Becky

Love it! I think you should do a bulk buy...(half kidding, half serious...)

julieann1674 2014-09-15 3:16pm

I just replaced an old wooden stool with this cushioned stool from Target. It's very comfy on my bum!

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14...83b3eed42f.jpg

glass obsessed 2014-09-15 6:13pm

@julieann1674 your workspace looks so clean and efficient!

Metamorphi 2014-09-15 7:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrsD (Post 4647563)

Ditto. I have an old draftsman's stool, no wheels on mine but the seat can be raised or lowered, it spins right around (baby) and is very padded and comfy. I picked it up from a thrift shop, best $40 ever spent.

dsglass 2014-09-16 9:45am

I work standing... The last thing I'd want around hot glass and open flames is a chair on wheels - seems like a disaster waiting to happen. (but then, I don't like rolly office chairs when I'm not around fire either, so... :D )

Dragonharper 2014-09-16 4:44pm

I stand, but I work boro at arms length and it's still hot.

steiconi 2014-09-18 12:03pm

Lovely, tidy workspace. Now show us where you actually torch glass. :razz:
Great idea to zip tie the fire extinguisher to the table leg. Mine's always wandering off into a corner.

Quote:

Originally Posted by julieann1674 (Post 4650634)
I just replaced an old wooden stool with this cushioned stool from Target. It's very comfy on my bum!