Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tips, Techniques, and Questions (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   minor torch suddenly not working! Help!! (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=227092)

nancyafm 2012-06-30 3:20pm

minor torch suddenly not working! Help!!

I have a Nortel Minor burner hooked up to an extreme oxygen EX-5 oxy concentrator and tanked propane. I've kept the EX-5 set at the max (5) and the propane regulator set to 5 psi. This set up has been working for 6 months.

About two weeks ago the flame started pulsing. Then suddenly, it wouldn't even accept the oxygen. The oxygen blows the flame away from the end of the torch, and then the flame goes out. I thought the regulator was bad, so I bought a new one.

But nothings changed. I've tried the propane psi higher and lower, but nothing works. I can manage getting a neutral flame for about two seconds before it pulses and then is blown away from the torch end.

It's like the oxygen is too strong. It blows the flame so that it is inches away from the end of the torch, then it goes out.

Please Help! If you don't know what is wrong, maybe you know who I can ask?

Thank you so much.
Nancy

houptdavid 2012-06-30 3:40pm

Sounds like the sieve beds are shot, It's not blowing out O2 but just air

squid 2012-06-30 4:25pm

Yep - it's your oxycon.

nancyafm 2012-06-30 5:08pm

What? My oxycon? NO!!

What would make that happen? I've only had it for a little over 5 months. Is this something I can fix myself? Or should I ship it to fix it?
I hate spending the money and having it gone for so long (I'm in CA and it ships back East to be serviced).

Dang! :sad:

squid 2012-06-30 5:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by nancyafm (Post 4039052)
What would make that happen? I've only had it for a little over 5 months. Is this something I can fix myself? Or should I ship it to fix it?
I hate spending the money and having it gone for so long (I'm in CA and it ships back East to be serviced).

Dang! :sad:

It's a purity issue - I doubt you can do anything to fix it yourself.

catsarthouse 2012-06-30 5:33pm

Turn up the oxygen

houptdavid 2012-06-30 7:40pm

Turn up the O2? The ex5's at max!

You should have a 3 year standard warranty from extreme oxygen.

Curly Irish Girl 2012-06-30 7:46pm

Have you routinely been cleaning the filter? It's probably too late to help this time but definitely get it into the routine when you are making O2 again.....

PerfectDeb 2012-06-30 8:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curly Irish Girl (Post 4039216)
Have you routinely been cleaning the filter? It's probably too late to help this time but definitely get it into the routine when you are making O2 again.....

say what?

how do you clean the filter?

nancyafm 2012-06-30 8:47pm

Yes. I've been cleaning the filter. And I just put in all new filters.

It doesn't seem to matter if I turn the oxygen up or down. I've set it at max, and even turned it down (on the advice of Corina Tettinger--the Queen). It doesn't make a difference. I've emailed Paul at Extreme Oxy and will probably be sending it in for servicing. The warranty is still good (only had it about 5 months).

Thank you to everyone for advice.:smile:

Guess I'm back to working on my hot head until I get my oxycon back from Indiana!:pout:

Happy Burning!

Curly Irish Girl 2012-07-01 7:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by PerfectDeb (Post 4039228)
say what?

how do you clean the filter?

On each of the oxycons I've had, there is a piece of foam sponge sorta stuff....it is where the room air goes in I believe.....it gets dirty/dusty.....I slide mine out and wash about once a week when torching on regular basis. Check with vendor or user manual for your concentrator....that has just been the directions with mine....perhaps yours is different. I'm currently on Regalia and had Different brands in past.