Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Free Tutorials (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   Lunar Bead Tutorial (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25062)

pierces*designs 2006-06-18 5:53pm

Lunar Bead Tutorial

I will post pics in a bit, but it is really self-explanatory.

There are a few ways to make them, but I will cover one way.

Make a large barrel bead in black or cobalt or any other color you want for the sky. Make a second smaller bead in dark ivory and melt them so they become one. Shape this bead up how you want it, but you are going to squeeze it flat, so keep that in mind.

Wrap the black and ivory bead in either silver foil or leaf and burnish well. Each gives a slightly different look. Foil will give very noticable stars in the black sky, whereas leaf gives a more colorful look to the ivory.

take the burnished bead into the flame and burn off the silver. You can add meteors to the sky by trailing different colored transparents across the silvered black. You can make the lunar lanscape different by trailing different colors across the bottom.

Squich the bead flat, making sure to leave enough glass on both sides of the mandrel so it does not crack.

Now, for the moon. Take a yellow or black stringer and touch it to the sky and make a small dot and melt in flat.

Voila. A lunar bead.

Kevan 2006-06-18 5:57pm

It's a really very lovely bead and I don't mean to nitpik, however - if that is the lunar landscape in the foreground...what's the moon doing in the sky? Shouldn't there be an earth up there???

pierces*designs 2006-06-18 6:04pm

ROFL. You and I think alike. I had the same mental arguement with myself, but the landscape looks like the moon and the big white thing? Maybe it's a star.

Kevan 2006-06-18 6:10pm

Maybe it's gone nova!

JavaGirlBT 2006-06-18 6:26pm

Put a drop of transparent blue on the moon and it's the earth.

I find that if you use foil and encase in clear, then burn off the foil under the encasement, you get a really starry look.

thewildbunny 2006-06-18 6:32pm

Awesome Tut! Thanks.

NLC Beads 2006-06-18 6:46pm

I wannit. :D Very cool, thanks for sharing!

greenesh 2006-06-18 9:08pm

So cool!

Thank you, thank you, thank you! =D>
There are many, many moons in our solar system alone.
So, imagine yourself on one of Jupiter or Saturn's moon's, looking at another moon in the starry sky! :)
Shirley

EmtSue 2006-06-18 9:59pm

Thanks for the tut!
I had every intention of making one of these, but an unfortunate and rather strange chain of events lead me to a burn on my thumb from the torch that cut my night short.
But I'll be making one of these in the morning.

Kevan 2006-06-18 10:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenesh
Thank you, thank you, thank you! =D>
There are many, many moons in our solar system alone.
So, imagine yourself on one of Jupiter or Saturn's moon's, looking at another moon in the starry sky! :)
Shirley

Not to nitpick, but there are no moons within eyesite of the moon. :razz:

I think it might be a comet headed right for the moon!!

Jupiter 2006-06-19 12:33am

Lovely bead, great tut
Thank you :)
Judith

pierces*designs 2006-06-19 3:19am

Those who try post pics! I'd love to see them.

Oh, and if anyone has the Vetrofond slate blue, try the sky in that color. It is fabulous!

Phoenix 2006-06-19 1:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JavaGirlBT
Put a drop of transparent blue on the moon and it's the earth.

I find that if you use foil and encase in clear, then burn off the foil under the encasement, you get a really starry look.

I'm trying to follow because I love the starry look- how does it burn off if it's under the encasement?

JavaGirlBT 2006-06-19 4:11pm

You encase the silver while keeping it silver - does that make sense? - then you heat the whole bead until it's really hot and the silver will heat up and melt under the encasement, leaving little dots that look like stars. I hope that explains it.

WhiskerWood 2006-06-19 4:55pm

I love making these lunar style beads, this is the first one I made and I love it!
I call this particular style Harvest Moon.

Phoenix 2006-06-19 6:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JavaGirlBT
You encase the silver while keeping it silver - does that make sense? - then you heat the whole bead until it's really hot and the silver will heat up and melt under the encasement, leaving little dots that look like stars. I hope that explains it.

It does- thanks!

Lara 2006-06-19 8:05pm

Lovely everyone.

pierces*designs 2006-06-19 8:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiskerWood Studio
I love making these lunar style beads, this is the first one I made and I love it!
I call this particular style Harvest Moon.

Awesome! It is defintely the color of the harvest moon too!

playswithfire104 2006-06-19 9:28pm

Can't wait to try this out.

Anne Ricketts 2006-06-20 4:23am

This looks like fun, I think I'll try it today with some ideas I got going in my head! Thanks for the tut!! \\:D/

sleekbeads 2006-06-20 11:52am

I think we need an actual list of base colors that this will work with.
What base colors of soft glass work in the same way as black does, with silver foil?
Anyone have a master list?
Also... Kevan, you are cracking me up.... "I don't mean to nitpick"... BUT!
LOL... too funny!

Joanna :)

pierces*designs 2006-06-20 12:46pm

Sky base colors:

Vetrofond Slate Blue
Black
Cobalt
Lapis

(feel free to add)

JavaGirlBT 2006-06-20 7:12pm

Ink blue!

Passing Glass 2006-06-22 2:15pm

This is a great tutorial, thank you! I've often wondered how to get the landscape/sky look to a bead and spacebeads are my favorites. I have several techniques for spacebeads gathered up, but this one is different than all of them. And the tip about encaseing and then burning off the silver is super. Now, if I can just figure out how to encase silver foil while leaving it silver I'll be in good shape. :lol:

:love:,
Dan

Retta 2006-07-16 3:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevan
It's a really very lovely bead and I don't mean to nitpik, however - if that is the lunar landscape in the foreground...what's the moon doing in the sky? Shouldn't there be an earth up there???

LOL I had that same thought before I even read that you said it.

Cool bead no matter what tho!

Heather/Ericaceae 2006-07-17 2:01pm

You could be looking at a moon from another moon orbiting one of the many planets that has multiple moons. Not necessarily OUR moon! :) -H.

Retta 2006-07-17 3:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heather/Ericaceae
You could be looking at a moon from another moon orbiting one of the many planets that has multiple moons. Not necessarily OUR moon! :) -H.

I know, it was just my first thought. :)

I have an awesome lunar bead from Nicole and it has a moon on each side, one is a regular moon and one red moon. I love it!

I will definately have to play around with moon beads soon, I am inspired.

JJ Blue 2006-07-17 5:44pm

Those are so cool, thank you for sharing.

I am a Luna-tic. I have always been a city girl. I grew up in Northern Alberta. I thought everyone saw the Northern lights and the sun was up until 11:oo pm in the summer.

It was not until I moved to "rural" arizona - well at least a neighbourhood that does not have street lights.. that the moon looked so cool, you see crescent moons and harvest moons. Your cycles start lining up with the lunuar cycles. Has anyone read the Red Tent?

I need some good summer Chic-Lit books, any suggestions?

I am ready to write a novel on the ins and outs of the bead business, aka
The Devil Wears Prada,

That honesty just came out, I was not refering to anyone.

I am sorry but I do have a fair for the dramatic, and the comedy.

Does anybody even get my humour?

It is a Gilda Radner thing! Does anyone here know who she was,

If its not one thing its another...

I did not mean to highjack this post, ... please excuse my lunacy...

j

newmoondesign 2006-07-20 12:28pm

Hi Debbie! This is the first time I've cruised around in LE, nice place! Cool to see you here and I love this tut...I'll have to give it a try!

Dana :)

Retta 2006-07-20 12:33pm

J, I know of Gilda...

Not sure about the "Devil wears Prada" comment... ;)

I used to life in the country, I loved seeing all the stars and the "Fingernail" moons. I really do feel myself "in tune" with the lunar cycles, never heard of the book but I will sure check it out :)