Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tips, Techniques, and Questions (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Gaffer Glass? (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=276411)

betsymn 2015-03-17 3:15pm

Gaffer Glass?

I'm bored. Besides 104, I have done Boro, Bullseye, Reichenbach and Uroborus. I saw the thread about Gaffer's new purples. For those who use Gaffer, could you tell me why you like it more than other 96s?

shawnette 2015-03-17 3:38pm

I don't. It's just more colors for my palette! As far as individual colors go, some are more saturated, devit less, strike easier, etc., but it's not an across the board thing. It's just individual colors.

betsymn 2015-03-17 4:34pm

Do you use primarily 96 then? or do you use Gaffer frit on 104? That purple is really calling me.

SonyaHusko 2015-03-17 5:37pm

The Gaffer purples are gorgeous! I bought them even though I don't use much 96. Here's a set of discs with Royal purple on the outside.

betsymn 2015-03-17 5:48pm

Oh, that purple! Gorgeous!

shawnette 2015-03-17 6:26pm

At home, I use 96COE 98% of the time. I have all COEs though, including Satake, Kinare and some Chinese stuff I bought to play with. Love, love, LOVE 96, though. If I could only work with one COE for the rest of my life, it would be 96.

Eileen 2015-03-17 7:40pm

I may have to go see who sells it now...

Dragonfly Queen 2015-03-17 8:23pm

Be still my heart! I love that color. Wow!

EchoTantuli 2015-03-17 10:46pm

I love some of their pastels, brighter than some Reichenbachs... they have a peach to die for! :)

Angie09 2015-03-18 5:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by EchoTantuli (Post 4726969)
I love some of their pastels, brighter than some Reichenbachs... they have a peach to die for! :)

A PEACH????? I just placed my second order in 3 weeks but didn't get a peach!!! What's it called .....and please don't say "peach".

I love the brightness of the colors. Their Robin's Egg blue is gorgeous, all the purples and oranges. 96 has some gorgeous blues (including Reichenbach). Someone did some color testing on 96 and turned me on to the colors...I can't find the website ... seems like it was Angie Ramsey? Any one know ... it was very helpful!!

Elizabeth Beads 2015-03-18 5:48am

The Chalcedony and Blue Chalcedony rakus are fantastic.

Www.Gafferglassusa.com

Eileen 2015-03-18 6:40am

I am browsing the website now, and think I'm going to order a few colors.
Anyone know what white is very dense for making murrini?

asimeral 2015-03-18 8:35am

I've been on the Gaffer website. Is there anyone who sells smaller quantities? $75/kilo is a bit rich for me... :doubt:

echeveria 2015-03-18 9:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by asimeral (Post 4727086)
I've been on the Gaffer website. Is there anyone who sells smaller quantities? $75/kilo is a bit rich for me... :doubt:

You do not have to order full kilos. I have ordered less. They will sell 1/4 kilo, which is a bit over half a pound. The per pound price is very reasonable, IMO, for basic colors. Like any other glass supplier, the ones with gold or silver will cost more. They also sell 4 oz jars of the frits, so I love that.

I love Gaffer blues and purples. The range is really nice. There seems to be a bit of overlap between the Reichenbach and Gaffer greens, so I just go with whichever place I am ordering from for those.

asimeral 2015-03-18 11:53am

Guess I'm going to break down and get some. Can't pass up these beautiful colors.

Eileen 2015-03-18 2:23pm

And make sure you are in the lampwork glass area, I wasn't at first!

beadaddicts 2015-03-19 6:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angie09 (Post 4727005)
A PEACH????? I just placed my second order in 3 weeks but didn't get a peach!!! What's it called .....and please don't say "peach".

I love the brightness of the colors. Their Robin's Egg blue is gorgeous, all the purples and oranges. 96 has some gorgeous blues (including Reichenbach). Someone did some color testing on 96 and turned me on to the colors...I can't find the website ... seems like it was Angie Ramsey? Any one know ... it was very helpful!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by beadaddicts (Post 4567836)

It was me! There are several of the Gaffer colors in the album above on my FB page. :D

MagpieGlass 2015-03-19 6:56am

The Gaffer Girls are awesome as well and will hook you up.

Small amounts of the frits ... Leslie at That Frit Girl has them. Any color she doesn't have that you want ... she will acquire for you.

HOWACO sells the Chalcendonies by the rod.

The comment on Peach has me wanting to re-explore. I'm on a Peach and Purple kick at the moment.

Angie09 2015-03-19 7:08am

Gaffer sells single rods as well PLUS they have frit in 2 tablespoon baggies in every size. I've started using alot of F0 and they have all the lampwork rod colors plus more.

And I thought it was you, Angie, but I couldn't find the page. Didn't think to look on your FB page. YOU'RE the one that started me on Gaffer .... thank you and darn you!! Love the colors ....hate spending more money on more glass!!! LOL

OK ...someone .... WHERE'S THE PEACH?????????

betsymn 2015-03-19 7:32am

OK, I'm on their website to order, but it's not a secure website for entering the cc number. ???

Elizabeth Beads 2015-03-19 8:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by betsymn (Post 4727496)
OK, I'm on their website to order, but it's not a secure website for entering the cc number. ???

In the past, the Gaffer Girls would call and get your CC info on the phone. Might still do.

asimeral 2015-03-19 8:08am

Eileen, thank you for mentioning having to be in the Lampwork section. I was looking at in on my phone and didn't get the full pull down menus. Once I got home on my laptop, everything was clear! 😀

Eileen 2015-03-19 8:21am

:D

(& EchoTantuli, I'd like to know which one is peachy too!)

MagpieGlass 2015-03-19 11:28am

I looked it is under Lampworking under I think it was NEW Colors. There is a Peach and a Coral and both look fab. Dang I sold off all my 96 because I don't have enough room. Really gotta build that studio at home.

echeveria 2015-03-19 1:28pm

Auggh! don't tell me about new colors! I am out of space. I have no time to torch.

Angie Ramey, we have to get some peach.

EchoTantuli 2015-03-23 2:58pm

it is in the lampwork limited edition category called coral, it is a yummy peach color.

beadaddicts 2015-03-24 8:11am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angie09 (Post 4727485)
Gaffer sells single rods as well PLUS they have frit in 2 tablespoon baggies in every size. I've started using alot of F0 and they have all the lampwork rod colors plus more.

And I thought it was you, Angie, but I couldn't find the page. Didn't think to look on your FB page. YOU'RE the one that started me on Gaffer .... thank you and darn you!! Love the colors ....hate spending more money on more glass!!! LOL

OK ...someone .... WHERE'S THE PEACH?????????

Happy to enable! :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by echeveria (Post 4727646)
Auggh! don't tell me about new colors! I am out of space. I have no time to torch.

Angie Ramey, we have to get some peach.

If it's the limited coral, I got some last time. But you know me...if you're ordering, I want some new dibbles, too! :poke:

Angie09 2015-03-24 9:14am

Does Gaffer have any transparents that are pretty and not real dark???

shawnette 2015-03-24 10:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angie09 (Post 4729781)
Does Gaffer have any transparents that are pretty and not real dark???

Only pale transparents aren't really dark (and they're still pretty dark) because they're made for use in furnace work. Since furnace work is blown thin, the colors have to be saturated in to see the color in the finished pieces. Even though these are lampwork cane, all they do is pull the exact same glass down into thinner rods for lampwork use. Your best bet is to either encase white or clear or hand-mix it with clear to thin it out.

Angie09 2015-03-24 10:38am

Any suggestions of "must have" transparents???