Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Free Tutorials (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   Encased Layered Triangle Bead Tutorial (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77471)

CelesteK 2008-01-06 10:27pm

Thank you so much for the clear instructions. Since I have been making nothing but layered dots for the last few weeks, I might be ready to move on and try these fabulous beads. I'm not too sure about encasing yet...

Celeste

afina 2008-01-06 11:15pm

Hi!
Thanks again, here are my first results:
http://www.glasperlenwerk.at/images/...yerd3gls_1.jpg

volkanokaren 2008-01-07 1:01am

Candy, these will be the perfect beads to practice and master my dots,thank you.

Karen.

LAG 2008-01-07 9:08am

so very generous of you to take the time to produce this great tut. lovely beads! Thank you

perlienne 2008-01-07 11:33am

thank yuo Candy for this easily understandable tutorial!
it is easy to follow and selfexplaining from the picture- steps!
this will be the next thing I try=D>

theglasszone 2008-01-07 7:04pm

MORE PICTURES OF YOUR SUCCESSES!!!!!! Please???????

DeAnne in CA

squid 2008-01-07 7:09pm

Candy - if you were close by, I'd give you a kiss!! :lol: I have often wondered how to make those beads!!!

lenora 2008-01-07 7:11pm

This is an excellent tutorial! I'm going to try it tomorrow!

dpglassworks 2008-01-07 7:16pm

Great tut...Amazing beads!

funky gems 2008-01-07 7:18pm

thank you!

Thank you!! I know what I am doing tonight!!
\\:D/Wendy

Elleth 2008-01-07 8:59pm

Wonderful Tutorial!
Here are my first attempts.

NKahler 2008-01-07 9:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elleth (Post 1572295)
Wonderful Tutorial!
Here are my first attempts.

Those beads look really nice, I like the colors in the second one :biggrin:
This might be a really newbie question.. but is there a reason for the small wraps of clear glass on the tips of your mandrels?

Elleth 2008-01-07 9:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NKahler (Post 1572324)
Those beads look really nice, I like the colors in the second one :biggrin:
This might be a really newbie question.. but is there a reason for the small wraps of clear glass on the tips of your mandrels?

Thanks!
I do that with the clear to take off any scummy stuff that might be on the ends of the clear rods.

theglasszone 2008-01-07 9:51pm

Afina - Beautiful!!!
Elleth - Just gorgeous!!!

Thanks to everyone for posting "progress" photos!

Special thanks to Candy!!!!!

DeAnne in CA

Debi Razz 2008-01-07 10:38pm

Great tutorial, quick question

When I do my encasing on a triangle bead or a striped bead, I keep getting a really good end on my right side and my left side seems to not get the encasing and the base color "leaks" out. What am I doing wrong?

Also I always seem to have one side that has more clear than the other, any way to fix that?

I had taken a break from these for awhile because I kept doing the same things! I now try to do at least one at torch time! Just tried again last night and same thing happened, It was a white bead with red and blue stripes. Started with a white disk, then added blue and red dots, melted them down a bit and then added the clear. The right looks wonderful, but the left end, while it has a good pucker, has the white showing instead of the clear over it. Any help would be wonderful for this newbie!

Thanks a bunch for the great tutorial!

afina 2008-01-07 11:31pm

Hi!
Anotherone from me! I love doing them now!
http://www.glasperlenwerk.at/images/...gel-orange.jpg
verena

jillybean 2008-01-07 11:57pm

Thank you so much too Candy! I have also been trying to work out how to do these beads for months and months!
Regards,

Jill \Cape Town

volkanokaren 2008-01-08 12:21am

Verena, Im lovin those.

Karen

beadgoodies 2008-01-08 2:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Debi Razz (Post 1572469)
When I do my encasing on a triangle bead or a striped bead, I keep getting a really good end on my right side and my left side seems to not get the encasing and the base color "leaks" out. What am I doing wrong?

Also I always seem to have one side that has more clear than the other, any way to fix that?

I had taken a break from these for awhile because I kept doing the same things! I now try to do at least one at torch time! Just tried again last night and same thing happened, It was a white bead with red and blue stripes. Started with a white disk, then added blue and red dots, melted them down a bit and then added the clear. The right looks wonderful, but the left end, while it has a good pucker, has the white showing instead of the clear over it. Any help would be wonderful for this newbie!

Thanks a bunch for the great tutorial!

This is something that almost all bead makers must contend with. Most people are more dominant on one side of the body than the other. My guess is that you’re right-handed. Without realizing it, you’re applying slightly more glass and heat to the right side of your bead. This is natural for a right-handed person. It’s just going to take a bit more awareness on your part to treat both sides of the bead equally and to really know where the center is. In your case, the center will be slightly to the left. Not that it really is, but given your right-side dominance, it will feell that way.

Candy

beadgoodies 2008-01-08 6:11am

I guess I could share more pictures.

Here's one where I didn't use any opaque glass. I used increasing darker transparents...

Here's one where instead of putting the dots on both sides of the bead, I only loaded up one side.

Amy did a MUCH better job at this! Check it out (post number 7): http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=37269

Candy

Mopnglo 2008-01-08 7:38am

Candy your a God-send! Thank you so much for this tut. I have literally been trying to make these beads (without success) for over a year. This visual is so much easier for me, and I'll be giving it a try today.

I have the same problem as Debi. My base alway leaks out. Of course, my past attempts I have made disk beads and added the dots, but by the time I get to the encasing part and start heating the bead it flops over to one side or the other. Which makes the encasing heavier on one side and the base leaks out the other.

My question is this.
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/up...p?viewid=99501

In this picture how thick is the clear and where should I be heating it? Side to side and only the clear? or Directly centered?

aleacim 2008-01-08 7:43am

oooo ahhhh

beadgoodies 2008-01-08 8:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mopnglo (Post 1572788)
Candy your a God-send! Thank you so much for this tut. I have literally been trying to make these beads (without success) for over a year. This visual is so much easier for me, and I'll be giving it a try today.

I have the same problem as Debi. My base alway leaks out. Of course, my past attempts I have made disk beads and added the dots, but by the time I get to the encasing part and start heating the bead it flops over to one side or the other. Which makes the encasing heavier on one side and the base leaks out the other.

My question is this.
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/up...p?viewid=99501

In this picture how thick is the clear and where should I be heating it? Side to side and only the clear? or Directly centered?

This bead needs to have a lot of encasing glass. Here's a side shot of the encasement:

You'll want to keep the heat ONLY on the center. In this design, the clear encasement glass will pull the dots out into triangles. If you use a thin layer of encasement glass and then tuck the ends in (like you would do for encased flower beads), the results will be drastically different. In this case, you WANT the distortion. :D

I hope that helps!

Candy

Cherine Perrin 2008-01-08 8:12am

Killer Tut Candy! I'm gonna try this tonight and hopefully post pics tomorrow. That is if I get it right.

Roseanne 2008-01-08 8:23am

Wonderful tutorial, Candy!! Your instructions are fabulous:) Beautiful beads too!!!

Mopnglo 2008-01-08 9:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by beadgoodies (Post 1572813)
This bead needs to have a lot of encasing glass. Here's a side shot of the encasement:

You'll want to keep the heat ONLY on the center. In this design, the clear encasement glass will pull the dots out into triangles. If you use a thin layer of encasement glass and then tuck the ends in (like you would do for encased flower beads), the results will be drastically different. In this case, you WANT the distortion. :D

I hope that helps!

Candy

Candy thank you so much that side view is exactly what I needed to wrap my pea sized brain around the concept. Your aces!

SLY Creations 2008-01-08 11:25am

Thank you so much for your tutorial and generosity in sharing. I light went on when you shared the double transparent to opaque hint.

Thanks again, Sharon

afina 2008-01-08 11:57am

Candy, can I ask you one more thing. The clear doesn't go all the way down to the mandrel on my beads. Is there a trick or do I just have to use more clear?
thx, verena

beadgoodies 2008-01-08 12:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by afina (Post 1573310)
Candy, can I ask you one more thing. The clear doesn't go all the way down to the mandrel on my beads. Is there a trick or do I just have to use more clear?
thx, verena

Hi Verena!

I love seeing what you've done so far!

My encasement doesn't go all the way to the mandrels either.

It's pretty close though. I can't stress enough that this type of bead takes a lot of encasing glass in proportion to the base. That's why it’s important to keep the base small, which isn't always easy given how many dots you have to apply to achieve the desired effect (esp. if you use twice as much transparent vs. opaque!) After you've made enough of these, you'll get a feeling of how much to use. :)

Candy

Teri.p 2008-01-08 10:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by beadgoodies (Post 1572813)

I hope that helps!

Candy

yes, this is indeed helpful. But dang Candy! I can't even tell where you started or ended your clear wrap. Do you have a secret, or do I just need tons more practice to avoid a messy beginning?

Teri