Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tutorials (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Tutorial Wish List (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100086)

EmbellishYourself 2008-08-03 5:34pm

Tutorial Wish List

I love all the tutorials out and just thought it would be fun to start a wish list of tutorials we would like to see... Here are a few off the top of my head, I am sure there are more!

1. Pati Walton's Butterfly Garden beads
2. Cynthia Tilker's (Glassactcc) Keeper's, Whipersnappers, Fish, or flower face beads
3. Mary Jarvis (Bayoubeads) Beach Hearts
4. Tink Globes

My list could go on, what would you like to see?

Megan 2008-08-03 6:03pm

I would love a tutorial on the fine, really thin stringer work like in JC Herrel's beads and Melanie Moertel beads..

Harriet Harrison's yummy flower beads.

Anne Ricketts 2008-08-03 6:39pm

Jenny, you might check out Jim Kervin's Artist series, he did one on Pati Walton. That is one I don't have yet so I don't know for sure if that bead is in there but I did see that she has a book out!

Michelle Walsh 2008-08-03 6:54pm

Jenny, I have that book and I'd be glad to send it to you. :)

EmbellishYourself 2008-08-03 8:38pm

I do have it (thank you though!), I was just hoping for a more in-depth tutorial. I started this thread with hopes to encourage other beadmakers that we all admire to create tutorials ;)

Flonche 2008-08-04 4:56am

I want a tutorial from Andrea Guarino for being a genius

beadandi 2008-08-09 4:22pm

How about Kerri Fuhr's dragonfly....beautiful!

Sandi

playswithfire104 2008-08-09 5:40pm

I wish for a dragon tut. Not so much cutsie dragons but scary medieval type dragons.

Beadbug 2008-08-09 7:11pm

I have watched JC work and I think the stringer control is practice and you can't get that in a tut. She is amazing and so quick.

raindance 2008-08-21 7:11pm

Everyone has excellent suggestions! One thing I have always wished for is in-depth, detailed tips & techniques for using enamel, frit or both together...with examples of several beads for each technique. Spotlight on Silver has a neat technique using aventurine frit under silver leaf, for example. It wouldn't be important to have a bead tutorial...just a collection of effect tutorials I could use on my own beads. That way there wouldn't be the issue of bead copying and the new effects learned would jump-start a lot of new ideas for those who buy the tutorial. Does that make any sense?

raindance 2008-08-21 7:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JewelsbyJenny (Post 1993990)
I do have it (thank you though!), I was just hoping for a more in-depth tutorial. I started this thread with hopes to encourage other beadmakers that we all admire to create tutorials ;)

I know what you mean, Jenny! I have to say that the tutorials I've purchased so far are really much more in-depth than many I've seen in books or magazines so far! I love it! Maybe it's because there aren't publishers placing restrictions on the manuscript length or numbers of pictures in these tutorials. It's more like sitting down with that person right beside you, willing to take their time to explain everything in their own way. I think Sherry's tutorial really set the bar for this. She didn't skimp on words or pictures and really broke everything down into easy to understand terms. No wonder everyone is snapping these tutorials up like crazy! They're wonderful!=D>

crystalflipz 2008-08-21 8:53pm

Lisa Fletchers encased florals.

MelanieG 2008-08-21 9:37pm

Anouk's trapped caterpillar focal

josielv 2008-08-31 11:45am

Kimberly Affleck's seahorseys!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cynthia's beads(glassacts)
Lisa Fletchers beads
Anything from Jennifer G.

Ekkie 2008-09-14 1:26am

Anastasia's multi-petal flower, as seen in the S&T for Sunday 14 Sept and her many sets.

VitreousTyro 2008-09-14 9:40am

My wish it that each and every tutorial include the supplies/tools list for review before purchasing the tutorial. Several tutorials I have purchased call for things I don't have - such as those hot finger (?) things or a specific glass.

Had I known beforehand, I probably would've bought the tutorial anyway, but wouldn't have been so disappointed that I can't try the beads immediately.

So.... for anything beyond mandrels, "standard" glass and bead release... I'd like to see it included on the supplies & tools needed list.

Merci!

Jill the newbie :wave:
who just doesn't have
all the cool stuff yet!

Beadbug 2008-09-14 11:58am

I think the reason why people don't post a list of supplies is because some of them just don't want to release that much info before the tut is out.

I would like a list of everything I have to get ready to do the project before each technique (often there are more than one project in a tut). I do read through my tuts all before trying but sometimes it is days before I get to actually sit at the torch. Yesterday I though I had everything all ready to do the Summer Brights tut and got my bead all ready for the fun part and didn't have a twisty in the right colors or the stringer colors I needed pulled. How frustrating is that.

A_Glass_Bash 2008-09-16 1:02am

in depth, more pictures, less writting tutorials is what I would buy and why. I am NOT a word learner and I have gotten several books and then looked at them and marked them worthless for the most part cause I can't make head or tails out of the words without the pictures. I see a LOT of people that have one or two things I would love to learn more about have put up tutorials and think this is an awesome way to "take" a class yet not have to worry about someone watching the kids, worrying about where I am going to stay etc.. The only thing I want to know?? Can I email you with questions if I find myself still stuck. LOL

Ekkie 2008-09-29 11:29pm

Anyone prepared to write a "Face" tutorial. I can never get a really symetrical face and eyebrows are just beyond me.

Jenn

barbaracollins 2008-09-30 2:34am

Tey Cornett's Murrini and Cane!

kernheimer 2009-08-12 3:46pm

I would love to know how to be able to make carol's wonderfull stringers LOL... ( yeah Anouk, i know...you showed it to me... but you know me...)
and i would love to be able to make real real round bead...
( or are these to basic needs?)

spixton 2009-08-12 11:22pm

dragon

Quote:

Originally Posted by playswithfire104 (Post 2004109)
I wish for a dragon tut. Not so much cutsie dragons but scary medieval type dragons.

Glass Roger has a dragon tut that I've been thinking of getting. I think he works in boro but you should be able to do it in 90 or 104 COE.

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php...ng_id=28566518

Troll Lover 2009-08-13 4:15am

Kernheimer ;), I don't mind helping you with it, you know that :).

Melanie, thank you :). I have been thinking about my next tut, but I'm still not sure about the subject of it.

playswithfire104 2009-08-13 5:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by spixton (Post 2619529)
Glass Roger has a dragon tut that I've been thinking of getting. I think he works in boro but you should be able to do it in 90 or 104 COE.

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php...ng_id=28566518

Yup I got it. I made one sad little dragon then dropped it and broke off its wings! When I have a bit of time I will give it a go again. Great tutotials!

Sherry 2009-08-19 2:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by raindance (Post 2024670)
I think Sherry's tutorial really set the bar for this. She didn't skimp on words or pictures and really broke everything down into easy to understand terms. No wonder everyone is snapping these tutorials up like crazy! They're wonderful!=D>

Thank you so very much for these kind words! I really appreciate them!

char 2009-08-21 9:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by josielv (Post 2040634)
Kimberly Affleck's seahorseys!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cynthia's beads(glassacts)
Lisa Fletchers beads
Anything from Jennifer G.

Kimberly Affleck's seahorse tut was in the flow magazine the issue was Women in Glass think it was one of the winter issues.Full in depth detail now I know how she makes those beautiful beads!

barbaracollins 2009-08-22 4:42am

JC and Margaret's tutorials are great!

Charmaine 2009-08-22 5:00am

making round beads

I know this is not the intended use of a tool, but I use Jim Moore's varied sized graphite marble mold for making round beads. (Tip from Brad Pearson)

by rolling your bead in the marble mold, you can get a bunch of them exactly the same size, AND (bonus) a lot of the brass tools out there become much easier to have beads match when that perfect round bead goes in to get smashed. Zoozii diamonds and pilllows are much easier this way (for me anyway) I wouldn't trade Jim's tool for anything.

kitkat 2010-01-25 6:00am

I would love to see Jayne (Badger Beads) do a tutorial. ANYTHING THAT SHE DOES would be fine with me. I love her newest experiment!

Kat
Purr-Sonalities Glass Art

jgraff 2010-02-20 4:24pm

I would like a tutorial on how to make an off mandrel bail and/or handles. I can do it if I make a small glass bead and fuse it to my piece but if I try to make a loop it comes out all wonky and pathetic looking. Messing with it after it's made just makes it more pathetic.

jgraff