Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tips, Techniques, and Questions (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Best Glass for guitar picks? (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272741)

LampLit 2014-11-29 8:23am

Best Glass for guitar picks?

What is the best glass for making guitar picks? Can effete be used? I am concerned about whether it is hard enough to avoid breaking.

SharonP 2014-11-29 1:48pm

As a (lapsed) guitar player, I'd feel better using boro...

dusty 2014-11-29 4:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SharonP (Post 4683003)
As a (lapsed) guitar player, I'd feel better using boro...

I'd disagree. Boro rods snap a good bit easier than soft glass - it's harder, but more brittle, as far as I can tell. I don't know why guitar picks would be any different.

yellowbird 2014-11-29 4:22pm

the only ones I see for sale online are boro.

SharonP 2014-11-29 4:27pm

Maybe Bullseye then? It's stronger than Effetre when pulled thin.

taino 2014-11-29 5:58pm

guitar picks

Why would you want to make guitar picks?

I would really like to know your reasoning for this.

yellowbird 2014-11-29 7:24pm

there are thousands of glass guitar picks online.
so this isn't a new idea.

SharonP 2014-11-29 7:51pm

Yeah, I used to use a glass pick, loved it...

VivianLampwork 2014-11-30 9:32pm

I never thought of making a guitar pick out of glass. My husband plays the guitar & I might have to make him one. Thanks for starting this thread.

SharonP 2014-11-30 11:57pm

There are some very nice glass guitar picks available online. Mine was a lot like the green/orange/yellow opaque pick on this website (http://anniespicks.weebly.com/gemstones-glass-etc.html), got it back in the 80's. It worked well and it's still around here somewhere.

Would love to see what you come up with, Lou!

rainygrrl 2014-12-01 7:34am

Sharon, thanks for the link! There's a lot of fascinating information there.
I had no idea that folks use glass picks either, or that they were available in such a wide range of materials. Since I don't have a torch right now I ordered one from an Etsy artist for DH. Will be interesting to see what he thinks...

LampLit 2014-12-01 10:19am

Thanks to all for the comments and suggestions....

SharonP 2014-12-01 10:45am

We're a good bunch here, Lou.

Taino? I see you're new... you'll get a lot out of good info and help from this forum if you employ reasonable manners.

Welcome to the forum, both of you.

*sharon*

bshelle 2014-12-01 12:20pm

What kind of sound does a glass pick produce - and I'm thinking there must be a difference between an acoustic/electric - the pick would fare better on nylon strings versus wrapped wire strings.

Birdsonawire 2014-12-01 1:08pm

I would lofe to see
glass slides for guitars.

Birdsonawire 2014-12-01 1:08pm

Lol! Geeze... love
Thats all we need, right?

VivianLampwork 2014-12-01 3:19pm

I just made a couple. Sorry for the bad picture. I snapped it with my phone. I made them with 96COE glass. Hubby used them & it does make a different sound. He likes them. Now my daughter wants me to make her friends one. I've created a monster.

echeveria 2014-12-01 4:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by VivianLampwork (Post 4683941)
I just made a couple. Sorry for the bad picture. I snapped it with my phone. I made them with 96COE glass. Hubby used them & it does make a different sound. He likes them. Now my daughter wants me to make her friends one. I've created a monster.

So what was the difference in the sound? I have four people I could give these to for Christmas, and am going to try it.

Cherri 2014-12-01 5:19pm

Awesome.. I have never tried to make them and I don't play.. However, they seem cool.. Maybe someday when I grow up.

VivianLampwork 2014-12-01 6:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by echeveria (Post 4683996)
So what was the difference in the sound? I have four people I could give these to for Christmas, and am going to try it.

Crisper & richer from what he said. I'm going to make the next ones a little thinner. I'm still playing around & tweeking them. I don't play, so hubby's being my guinea pig.

echeveria 2014-12-01 7:18pm

Thanks Vivian. Interesting.

Birdsonawire 2014-12-01 9:30pm

Those are really nice. And what a nice gift for the player:)

HannahRachel 2014-12-01 10:27pm

Nice idea. My brother is a cantor and his instrument of choice is guitar. I might have to make him one - and I was just fussing what to get him for Hanukkah.

LampLit 2014-12-01 10:30pm

Great picks Vivian! We've done ours in Effetre - DH and his band will give them a trial run before we post for sale.

VivianLampwork 2014-12-01 10:52pm

Lou, thanks for starting this discussion. I just made 4 more that I like much better. I'll post pictures after they've finished annealing. These are really fun to make.

MaryBeth 2014-12-01 11:54pm

Those are nice, Vivian! Are you making them buy starting with a flattened paddle at the end of a rod? Are you using anything (like a purchased guitar pic) as a template?

Ravenesque 2014-12-02 12:40am

wow, ok now I know what to do for my nephew! :waving:

Michele R. 2014-12-02 5:46am

Yes Vivian - please share you're tips if you will!

My DH is not one for jewelry, but he loves his guitars! He's also very particular about the various sounds he can get with minute variations, so a glass pick would pique his interest! I'd love to be able to make something specially for him...

(Gosh - hope I spelled everything correctly! Lol)

VivianLampwork 2014-12-02 6:22am

I used one of hubby's guitar picks as a template to get the size & shape right. I saw some different shapes online. I even saw a heart shaped one. The larger end isn't as important as the end that goes on the strings. It needs to come to a point & be really thin. The indentions help make it easier to grip, since the glass is so smooth & slick.

1) Make a blob on the end of my rod.
2) Shape the blob in to a pear shape & flattened it.
3) Make the ribbed indentions to help grip it.
4) Punty it up on a boro rod with the ibiger end/ndention part attached to the boro.
5) Heat the section attached to original rod & pull it out.
6) Then, flatten the point & smooth the whole thing out.

Here are a few more I made. Sorry for the bad picture. I'm just using my phone. I promise they look much better in person. The red/yellow one is a little wonky on one side though LOL.

neagle 2014-12-02 6:25am

Nice guitar picks. My husband is a guitar player and I tried to make him picks out of glass years ago. Some effetre, some boro. He didn't like them because he likes very thin picks and I couldn't get them thin enough. Make sure you know what kind of pick the guitar player likes. :)