Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Torch Questions (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Minor dissipator fin (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224098)

smcgypsea 2012-05-11 3:40pm

Minor dissipator fin

Does anybody know if its possible to replace the dissipator fin thing on a Minor? Where can I get one? mine is melted, got misaligned, and it's interfering with the flame...

thanks,
stacy

Role 2012-05-11 3:57pm

You can call Nortel @ Tel: 716-852-2685

I'm sure they can help. :)

Note: you do not need that heat sink.

Look at this picture:

http://www.nortelglass.com/images/to...drangeplus.jpg

That is your Minor torch on top and it does not have the heat sink. ;)

flaming_fools 2012-05-11 10:14pm

You should be able to get that off your minor, ream it out and replace it around the torch.

But your torch itself should always protrude out the end of these fins, by about 1/2 inch or so. It never should have been down within the 'fins'. Sometimes they do get displaced....

Role 2012-05-11 10:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by flaming_fools (Post 3995166)
You should be able to get that off your minor, ream it out and replace it around the torch.

But your torch itself should always protrude out the end of these fins, by about 1/2 inch or so. It never should have been down within the 'fins'. Sometimes they do get displaced....

The heat sink doesn't do anything, it's 99.99% for looks.

I'm not making this up, Peter Norton, the guy that designed the
torch, told me this himself.

28676bhe 2012-05-11 11:01pm

On my torch, same thing happening - the weight of the hoses are pulling it backwards and thereby pushing the fin forward so that you cannot see the flame the way you should. I could not move my fins forward at all, but I could move them backwards by hitting them with a hammer (gently).

Obviously, you'll want to drain your lines before you attempt to fix this.

I'm in need of doing it again, and will look for a longer screw to go through the base (side to side), some lock washers, and probably some Loctite to help it stay where it should.

Yours and mine aren't the only ones doing this, either. The place where I take classes has 3 out of 8 torches just like yours, with the candles totally hidden inside the fin casing.

Barbara

cheng076 2012-05-12 9:46am

First of all do not put any sort of locktite stuff on your torch barrel to hold the fin piece in place. If it does move later when hot you will never get it back in place when cool. The weight of the hoses have no bearing on moving the finned piece unless the finned piece is held stationary and the hoses and torch manifold and barrel are free to move. The back end of the torch with the valves and the barrel are supported by the stand and base and that carries the weight of the hoses.

smcgypsea 2012-05-12 10:21am

barbara-
where do you take classes?
stacy

28676bhe 2012-05-12 1:35pm

Cheng,

I wasn't proposing that Loctite be used on the fin, only on the nut and screw.

And, yes, the weight of the hoses is definitely what is pulling the whole torch backwards and allowing the fin to move forward.

The slippage is gradual, over time, but it is happening for the reasons I stated.

Several people have already backed me in this theory, and I have seen other Minors and Mega Minors do the same thing.

Barbara

28676bhe 2012-05-12 1:40pm

Stacy, sent you a PM.

Barbara

Role 2012-05-12 2:12pm

The really simple way to handle this is to call Peter Norton at Nortel.

I have talked to him many times, he's a nice guy.

Ask him if you need the heat sink, he will tell you it is okay to run
the torch without it.

When in doubt, talk to the man that designed the torch.

cheng076 2012-05-12 2:44pm

I misunderstood; sorry.

28676bhe 2012-05-12 3:09pm

I have put in a written note to Nortel, and it is totally my fault that I have not gotten back to them.

Barbara

smcgypsea 2012-05-13 6:01am

thanks for all your replies!
stacy