Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tips, Techniques, and Questions (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Tip to stop Bead Release powder ruining beads?? (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118891)

bead_your_habit 2009-01-17 6:01am

Tip to stop Bead Release powder ruining beads??

I searched the threads, but didn't find any other unfortunate souls with this issue. When I use my Zoozii straight lentil spree, regardless of how gentle I am, the bead release (I use BoM) cracks and gets into the mold. Is there a technique to avoid this? I keep wiping the brass mold down after each pressing with a moist sponge and then a dry cloth to clear out the powder, but this happens 80% of the time. Do you have any suggestions?

-Tracy :-s

IF-Designs 2009-01-17 6:30am

mix in some fusion bead release with bom. Fusion really has some sticking power I find mixing fusion with my choice release cuts down on flaking and cracking big time.

ewdb 2009-01-17 6:30am

i just keep a small paint brush nearby and brush out the mold after each press.

ETA: oh and don't press so hard - that's partly what will crack the release. took me a bit to figure that out

LAJ 2009-01-17 9:03am

I have a can of compressed air nearby when I torch. 1 little spray blasts out the offending release.

DesertDreamer 2009-01-17 10:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 2324847)
I have a can of compressed air nearby when I torch. 1 little spray blasts out the offending release.

Please don't be offended, but I don't think that's the safest idea. There's stuff in bead release that you don't want to inhale. Those blasts of air kick all that mess around and make it very possible for you to breathe it in. Please stay safe. I think the paintbrush idea is much safer, especially if you're using very gentle flicks.

I think the BOM is the culprit, that stuff is awful flaky. I vote for throwing in some Fusion. I use a blend of FosterFire and Fusion, and love it.

Karen Hardy 2009-01-17 11:42am

I use fusion, and while I won't say I don't have some cracking issues
using presses, it sticks better than any other release I've used.

As for the air canisters to clean out the molds - I second the motion
that it's a bad idea. 1) you don't want that crap going airborne
and 2) the stuff in most of those cans can be flammable. Not the
best thing to be spraying around in front of an open flame.

I just have a soft brush I use to clean the mold out.
An old makeup brush works just fine.

menty666 2009-01-17 1:05pm

what if you use the air under your vent? I have an air compressor that I'd be more than willing to use to blow the powder out. Which reminds me, I still have a mold I've gotta get glow powder out of....

Bead_lover 2009-01-17 2:06pm

I use BOM and love it. Yes, it sometimes flakes w/my presses (and I use them alot) but just be sure to get any flakes off your bead before putting it back in the flame. I use a pick, tweezers, whatever's handy. Also, even with cracked release, I've still pressed them several times - just be careful with it. And - be sure your mandrel is lined up with the holes for it in the press.

Good luck

bead_your_habit 2009-01-17 2:34pm

Thanks to all of you for helping out. The makeup/paint brush is a great idea! My next bead release will be the Fusion. Also I am probably pushing down on the press too hard/quickly, causing so much of the bead release to crack. Then again, the mandrel with the release doesn't even fit in the groove of the press. It's a a thin mandrel. I must be using too much release? As a newbie, I was concerned the glass would cool too quickly, thereby making the press useless! Again, thanks!
-Tracy

Karen Hardy 2009-01-17 2:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bead_your_habit (Post 2325481)
Thanks to all of you for helping out. The makeup/paint brush is a great idea! My next bead release will be the Fusion. Also I am probably pushing down on the press too hard/quickly, causing so much of the bead release to crack. Then again, the mandrel with the release doesn't even fit in the groove of the press. It's a a thin mandrel. I must be using too much release? As a newbie, I was concerned the glass would cool too quickly, thereby making the press useless! Again, thanks!
-Tracy

I would suggest you not worry about it.
It's just the nature of the process of using a press mold.

Even the best applied bead release will crack and flake
off. Just make sure you give a quick swipe with the
brush before you press again.

Any bead release that sticks to the bead can be gently picked off with a
pair of tweezers or brushed off the bead with a butter knife (or something long those lines).

Tabitha 2009-01-18 1:14am

I keep a wet paper towel nearby and have found I can wipe off little bits of release from the bead without any drama.

lunamoonshadow 2009-01-18 8:05am

Make yourself a bead of polymer clay, or playdoh, or whatever on a plain mandrel to see what size glass you REALLY need to use the press--then round it back up & set it on your table to use as a visual guide for "how much glass" to use for that press--if your mandrel isn't fitting in the press, either you're using too large a mandrel (possible) or you're pressing too much glass (likely) or both :)
~luna
been there, done that :)

bousky 2009-01-18 9:37am

Switch to Fusion Bead release.

DesertDreamer 2009-01-18 10:27am

One other thing...making sure your mandrel is properly aligned in the press will help, too. I notice that if I'm just a bit crooked, that's when I really give myself trouble. It's such a quick process, it's easy to rush, but do take the time to LOOK and that can help.

bead_your_habit 2009-01-18 11:48am

BRILLIANT! I am going to do this. Thanks!

bead_your_habit 2009-01-18 11:49am

you're so right...rushing is a bad habit of mine. Thank you for your help. This forum is so fantastic.

Carolyn M 2009-01-18 12:19pm

If you are using 1/16 mandrels your mandrel should easily fit in the groove. Try applying a much thinner coating of bead release. If you aren't using 1/16 mandrels that would be a good idea

Karen Hardy 2009-01-18 1:01pm

Another thought here.
As we go merrily along, our mandrels get old and out
of shape. If your mandrel is even the slightest bit bent,
then it won't line up properly in the press.

Take a good look at all your mandrels after you
clean them, and see if any can be tweaked back
into shape so it rolls smoothly, or maybe be replaced with a new one.

lunamoonshadow 2009-01-18 3:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bousky (Post 2327192)
Switch to Fusion Bead release.

Oh, yes, I :love: :love: :love: my Fusion!

Firebrand Beads 2009-01-19 5:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by lunamoonshadow (Post 2327006)
Make yourself a bead of polymer clay, or playdoh, or whatever on a plain mandrel to see what size glass you REALLY need to use the press--then round it back up & set it on your table to use as a visual guide for "how much glass" to use for that press--if your mandrel isn't fitting in the press, either you're using too large a mandrel (possible) or you're pressing too much glass (likely) or both :)
~luna
been there, done that :)

That's a really great idea!

Bright-eyed Beads 2009-01-19 10:42pm

I second using good mandrels...Bent ones make life so much harder!!! Cheap mandrels can be made using a small bolt cutter to cut the steel, a jig that helps you to cut consistent lengths for speed and a dremel with a disc cutter bit or sandpaper to grind/round the ends. You can get the stainless steel from a welding shop or look online. 316 is best but you can use 308. Hope this helps,

Cheers

Jenny

bead_your_habit 2009-01-20 8:48am

Thank you for your suggestion! :)

laserglass 2009-01-20 9:04am

burn a flame with no oxygen so it is real sooty, and use the flame to preheat the mold a bit, but mainly to cover the entire hot area of the mold with a layer of black carbon. then use the mold and the black carbon will be your release. then the carbon will burn off when placed back into a flame.

bead_your_habit 2009-01-27 7:27pm

I've been using your suggestions -very helpful having that brush nearby! Thank you. :)

bead_your_habit 2009-01-27 7:28pm

Thx Mark. I use a hothead so I don't have much oxygen control, but thanks for offering to help!

bead_your_habit 2009-01-27 7:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Firebrand Beads (Post 2331613)
That's a really great idea!

Your clay idea has worked like a charm for reducing flaking of the bead release with my lentil press. Thx for the great idea. I did it just today. :)

RoxyV 2017-12-16 11:32pm

10 years old, and this thread gave me great ideas! I miss coming here, fb has kinda taken over unfortunately.
Thanks all!

Ravenesque 2017-12-17 12:06am

Ha I was excited to hear BOM was available still, the bump got me :badgrin:

glvz 2017-12-17 7:08pm

And LE is ever so much easier to use and find useful information!

Georgia