Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Beads of Courage (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   My BOC challenge (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=218832)

pierces*designs 2012-02-28 6:55pm

My BOC challenge

Something is driving me to do this, so here goes!!

I will give away a $50.00 Gift Certificate to Mountain Glass Arts to a lucky person. All you have to do it make 20 Act of Courage Beads by 3/31/2012 and mail them in. Take a quick and dirty pic of the beads or the box. Post here and I will put your name into the hat.

If you make 40, you will get your name in 2 times! Etc, etc!

BOC peeps, If I am breaking rules, please let me know.

I made 6 Act of Courage beads last night. I hope to make 5 or so tonight.

one-eared pig 2012-02-28 7:15pm

cool!

Elizabeth Beads 2012-02-28 8:20pm

You are so sweet Debbie. I will commit to make 100 Act of Courage beads in March. Pictures will be forthcoming. :) Liz

PattyK 2012-02-28 8:31pm

That's a lovely offer Debbie. :)

RSimmons 2012-02-29 6:42am

Thanks a very kind offer Debbie. We need AoC beds so badly at the moment that this is just great. I'll pass the word along to the boss in Tucson.
Thank you for all you do!

Robert

pierces*designs 2012-02-29 8:46am

Robert, I made a blog post that you can promote.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Deb Hopeful Journeys 2012-02-29 9:04am

What are acts of courage beads?

BellaBean 2012-02-29 9:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deb Hopeful Journeys (Post 3912935)
What are acts of courage beads?

They are the beads kids can pick when they have gone through a procedure. I like making them because they are the most fun. Almost anything goes. I love making beads for kids. Hopefully I can find some torch time soon and help out!!!

pierces*designs 2012-02-29 9:34am

I have been sitting down and using glass that I do not normally use. I also try to keep boys in mind when I am making the beads.

Last night I made a cool skull with a Bavarian Skull Press with murrini eyes. LOL

I like how it turned out, so I will make more.

carolinesbeads 2012-02-29 11:12am

Can I include some purple hearts too?

Diane Woodall 2012-02-29 11:28am

What a kind and generous offer Debbie! I hope you get a lot of participants. Count me in!

rosebud101 2012-02-29 11:46am

I'm in!

RSimmons 2012-02-29 12:06pm

What we need most right now are big Act of Courage beads. Big as in about 1.5 inches long or bigger. We're virtually out of these important beads right now and really, really need some.

What is an Act of Courage Bead? Act of Courage beads can take almost any form that you would like to make - it's an opportunity for you let your imagination go and make new things or whatever you want to do. The 3/32 mandrel is preferred but other sizes are also usable.
Special Requirements for Act of Courage Beads:

 When you make beads for us please be sure to have nice 'puckers' on the ends of the beads. Sharp edges on the bead holes can cut fingers so beads with sharp edges can’t be sent out. Overly frilly bits sticking out might break off and leave sharp edges on the surface so please be sure that raised dots have solid connections (no undercuts) and that surface decorations are robust enough to take some knocking about.

 We also ask that you refrain from using reduction frit or glasses that give a metallic sheen on the surface due to heavy metal issues with these materials. We can’t send metallic reduction surface beads out to the kids.

 Anneal your beads properly in a kiln to be sure that they don’t crack. Cracked beads have to go into the trash.

 Before you ship please make sure that the bead release is cleaned out. Beads with the release still inside take more time for our limited staff to clean and this seriously slows down our turnaround time.

 When you send your beads please include a brief inventory in the package along with your contact information. We want to send you a Thank You certificate and a receipt for your donation. If you send beads from multiple donors in one box just include the same information for everyone so that they can all be recognized.A bead donation form can be downloaded from this page:
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks very much!!

Robert

pierces*designs 2012-02-29 12:25pm

I make big round beads in boro that are 1" in diameter and height. Would these qualify?

They are pretty hefty and have a lot going on in them.

SassyGlass9 2012-02-29 2:10pm

I am the Queen of huge honkin' beads, so this will be easy peasy for me! :lol:

I donate beads to BOC regularly through my local bead group (SGB - NorCal), but I didn't realize there was such an immediate need. I will go through my stash and get some ready to send out in the next few days.

This is an awesome thing you are doing, Debbie.

RSimmons 2012-02-29 5:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by pierces*designs (Post 3913204)
I make big round beads in boro that are 1" in diameter and height. Would these qualify?

They are pretty hefty and have a lot going on in them.

Yes, these would meet the need. We've really run out of hand made beads lately and a batch of these and other honkers would be great. I sent in a box of a couple of hundred beads myself about two weeks ago and they're already gone.

Robert

Eileen 2012-02-29 6:01pm

I worry that the more hospitals that participate, the greater the need. I wish all the lampworkers in the country/world could be made aware of the program so the kids could be provided with enough without problem.
Any way vendors could be asked to include a flyer of some type when they mail out glass?

Iwantonetoo 2012-02-29 7:43pm

Well, here is my "Pile". I asked my daughter for her opinion on what was worthy to send. She said "None of these are sharp, so why don't you just send them all and let them decide?". Smart girl.

Not sure if they'll use the fused hearts, but maybe for a parent or Grandparent?

The bags in the back are full of smaller rounder beads, and focals that are practice beads. A few have cute and colorful murrini in them.

I hope they don't look at all of this and think "Ugh". But after seeing/reading some of the stories and what the children choose, I think variety is good.O:) I think tomorrow I will work on butterflies. I like the one I did make. (The orange one towards the back)

dla 2012-03-01 1:55am

Sheri, I'm betting they'll be loved ! I'm working on butterflies myself.

I just sent in a couple hundred bigger type beadies on Monday. I hope they can use most of them.

pierces*designs 2012-03-01 4:44am

Sheri that is awesome!

Give me a count when you are ready to send them so I can enter your name.

beadsbybrat 2012-03-01 6:43am

okay i'm in too :)

beadsbybrat 2012-03-01 3:55pm

Question, what about pendents, like implosions and stuff? Will they accept those?

RSimmons 2012-03-01 5:04pm

Pendants don't tend to work out well if they have a hanger loop of any kind. They eventually break off, even well made boro pendants. Beads with a through and through hole work best and are what we desperately need right now.

Thanks
Robert

Iwantonetoo 2012-03-01 6:13pm

My "pile" breaks down as:
100 small - medium mostly rounds
30 organic focals
3 boro hearts
3 fused pendant hearts (more for parents I think)
36 sculptural beads
1 buggerfly fan pull (Or they can remove the ball chain and have it a pendant)

CheriB 2012-03-01 9:14pm

Debbie,
You are so nice to encourage people to contribute this way! Tomorrow, I am mailing in 80 BOC beads for the challenge in the Patio area, so those don't count. However, I am adding 106 more beads to that stash, and appreciate you adding me to the list. Here's a photo of the total 186 beads.

Mahalo,
Cheryl

dla 2012-03-03 2:18pm

I have a cool whip "bowl" of beads that will be going. I see a couple in there that need to come out before sending in though. I will be counting them soon. Just thought I'd post the picture now. :)

Eileen 2012-03-03 3:12pm

Amazing work, how long are those tubes?

dla 2012-03-03 4:31pm

Thanks Eileen. The tubes are mostly 3 1/2" long. I have one I'm keeping for myself that's about 5" long. :)

Eileen 2012-03-03 5:37pm

Wow!

pierces*designs 2012-03-03 6:26pm

Wow guys! You are making me tear up thinking of beads heading to BOC!!

Here are a few I made the other night. I am concentrating on the BIG AOC beads.